• Join Us!
  • I need a bodybuilding mentor!!
  • Join Us!
  • You have 1 new Private Message Attention Guest, if you are not a member of Fitness Geared - Body Building & Fitness Community, you have 1 new private message waiting, to view it you must fill out this form.
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Thanks Thanks:  0
    Likes Likes:  0
    Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: I need a bodybuilding mentor!!

tn94z is offline Platinum
      Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
      Overall activity: 0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Geeky

Level

Default I need a bodybuilding mentor!!

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

I read and read and read on here and other places, so it's not like I don't try to get all of the info. It just seems like I read so many different things and it all starts running together. I finally joined the gym and I have gotten really excited about working out again (first time in 6 years!), and I want to do it right this time. I used to work out quite a bit back in the day but knowing what I know now, I wasn't doing it the right way. I never worried about diet or nutrition. All I knew back then was lift, protein, and eat, eat, eat. I always had good results as far as going up in weight, but now I want good results in the mirror.

I am now slowly trying to get a hold on everything from diet (when and what to eat), to cardio (when and what to do), to the correct exercises. I have learned that I can use a little less weight and get a so much better feeling that just trying to see how much I can do.

It would be really nice to live close enough to some of you guys to be able to workout along side you and actually learn something. One of the guys I workout with learned a lot from his younger brother that went on to win the Jr.National bodybuilding championship, so he knows quite a bit. It just seems like he is more worried about how much weight he is doing and screaming than actually getting a good feel. I am sure that is just his way. Anyway, I just had to vent somewhere.....now back to reading.
      "He woke up because I kept punching him in the face." --Thiago Alves

"I'm telling you, once your car's been stolen, it never runs the same again. It's like a guy sleeping with your girl. He leaves his mark all over her."- Drama (Entourage)

O2BESOHUGE is offline ADMINISTRATOR
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Awesome

Level

Default Re: I need a bodybuilding mentor!!

YOU HAVE ONE! ...FITNESSGEARED!!
      ..“Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same.”

BIGMOFO is offline Platinum
      Overall activity: 31.0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

O2 can be your mentor

ATTITUDES ARE CONTAGIOUS, MINE MIGHT KILL YOU!

"Goals are Dreams with Deadlines!"

Note: All of my advice and posts are merely for educational purposes I do not condone the use of steroids or any other illegal drugs. I am no doctor and my advice should be taken with a grain of salt, just like everyone else's hypothetical advice.

daved150 is offline Platinum
      Overall activity: 4.0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

i know what you saying...when i first got into this it was so hard to comprehend it all. i'm not pretending that i comprehend it all now, but i'm better off than i was, lol...i am the same as you (i think) when it comes to workingout. i want to FEEL the contractions. i dont care about the weight. i tell the guys at my gym all the time....if i could look like jay cutler while only using the pink weights, that'd be perfect. i workout for show, not for go...i aint a powerlifter!! (i aint much of a bodybuilder either, lol)...i go as heavy as i can without having to cheat...now i will say, i do tend to cheat here or there now...cheating can be good. just gotta get all the intensity out of the workout that you can...wether thats with heavy weight or moderate weight, but high reps!!! be consistant in your training...and remember, we grow OUT of the gym. get 7-8hrs sleep and eat every 3hrs (1.5-2grms protien per body weight)
      HE WHO MAKES A BEAST OF HIMSELF, GET'S RID OF THE PAIN OF BEING A MAN!!

https://www.infinitymuscle.com/forum.php

"Actually for once your actually starting sound quite logical!"-djdiggler 07/10/2007

I LOVE BOOBOOKITTY...

BIGMOFO is offline Platinum
      Overall activity: 31.0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Quote Originally Posted by daved150 View Post
      i know what you saying...when i first got into this it was so hard to comprehend it all. i'm not pretending that i comprehend it all now, but i'm better off than i was, lol...i am the same as you (i think) when it comes to workingout. i want to FEEL the contractions. i dont care about the weight. i tell the guys at my gym all the time....if i could look like jay cutler while only using the pink weights, that'd be perfect. i workout for show, not for go...i aint a powerlifter!! (i aint much of a bodybuilder either, lol)...i go as heavy as i can without having to cheat...now i will say, i do tend to cheat here or there now...cheating can be good. just gotta get all the intensity out of the workout that you can...wether thats with heavy weight or moderate weight, but high reps!!! be consistant in your training...and remember, we grow OUT of the gym. get 7-8hrs sleep and eat every 3hrs (1.5-2grms protien per body weight)
      wow I want you to be my mentor!

ATTITUDES ARE CONTAGIOUS, MINE MIGHT KILL YOU!

"Goals are Dreams with Deadlines!"

Note: All of my advice and posts are merely for educational purposes I do not condone the use of steroids or any other illegal drugs. I am no doctor and my advice should be taken with a grain of salt, just like everyone else's hypothetical advice.

daved150 is offline Platinum
      Overall activity: 4.0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

lol..ok jokey!!!
      HE WHO MAKES A BEAST OF HIMSELF, GET'S RID OF THE PAIN OF BEING A MAN!!

https://www.infinitymuscle.com/forum.php

"Actually for once your actually starting sound quite logical!"-djdiggler 07/10/2007

I LOVE BOOBOOKITTY...

Stout1 is offline FG Resident
      Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 62
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

by Iron Addict

How to Train Yourself

This is perhaps one of the most important articles I have written in a long time. It is about how to find the basic framework of routine structure that works best for YOU. As anyone that has been exposed to bodybuilding knows there are countless different training styles out there that all promise to give you the physique of your dreams. And they are all WRONG! And they are all CORRECT also. How can this be? Well what I meant by that is that they all work for some people at least some of the time. And MOST of them fail most of the people. Most bodybuilders continually sway back and forth, at least in their minds if not in the gym about how to train. They are lost in a sea of confusion about who is right and what the reality of effective training really is. Everyone has a very unique metabolism and what is pure magic for one person may be pure poison for another. Without going into too much detail I will just say that most guys out there in search that huge ripped physique just don’t have the genetics to make it happen. But…..almost everyone can build a physique that will impress about anyone except competitive level bodybuilders. How fast you get there, or if you ever get there at all depends on training and diet. Saving diet for another day lets discuss how to find an effective training protocol for you. In order to keep this from becoming the book it very well could be, we are going to keep the parameters limited. Instead of going into all the sub-categories of each basic training style we will just touch upon the “big picture” styles, because within them are the volume and frequency that is the guiding factor of whether progress is made or not. Once you understand your basic needs there will still be much work and experimentation to be done to fine tune everything to make it fit you. But at least you will be in a position to make gains while this occurs. Lets face it, MOST people out there pouring their heart and souls into training are making marginal at best gains.

The categories to be covered here are:

Volume Training, be that traditional or GVT
      3 Day a week full body training
      Power style bodybuilding
      Hardgainer style training

In order for this “experiment” to be effective and work for anyone out there that might be willing to try it I am going to establish some guidelines for each training protocol to be followed. I ABSOLUTELY KNOW that the guidelines will not stand-up to criticism from many proponents of each categories training style. SAVE IT GUYS! I know it’s not perfect, and if you have a training style that fits you well and is effective great. MANY, MANY people are absolutely lost, and this will help them find their way if they are willing to take the time and take some risks. Those risks being that they absolutely will do some training that doesn’t work well for them. My guess though is that the people that haven’t put the pieces of the growth puzzle together yet are already not making progress so they have nothing to lose.

Lets also clear up something else to make sure the trainee is not spinning their wheels. The most perfect routine is WORTHLESS if rest and nutrition are not there to back things up. You need to be getting 1.5 grams of protein per lb of bodyweight EVERY DAY, 2 grams if “on”. Other basics required are:

1 mega-dose multi-vitamin and full spectrum mineral packs

2000 mgs vit C a day

300% calcium/magnesium/zinc a day

4-10 grams of fish oil

Please understand this in the MINIMAL supps a trainee should take and far from optimal. THIS IS NOT A RECOMMENDED SUPPLEMENTATION SCHEDULE, BUT I KNOW FROM EXPERIENCE THAT MANY LIFTERS TAKE NEXT TO NOTHING. This will provide a minimum base that most any lifter will do OK on. There are LOTS of other items that are both inexpensive, and result producing. But this is far better than most people do for themselves.

I am also going to ask that the trainee attempting this does not try it while they are trying to reduce bodyfat. While I can honestly say that I do not have a single trainee I personal train that doesn’t build strength the whole time they are cutting I do know that most people simply just don’t know how to make this happen so don’t attempt this while cutting. Also if you are say, just starting a new physical labor job, or going out for a sport that requires large physical exertion expenditures this isn’t the best time to experiment. Try to keep all the variables to a minimum.

OK lets start, here are the basic parameters of each training style to try.

Volume training. Pick three exercises per body-part and do 4 sets each. This is 12 sets per body-part and while it isn’t as high as the 16-20 sets some volume trainers do, it’s still high enough to get an adequate growth response if volume training will work for you. These sets are not to be done to failure but they should be done fairly heavy. Keep the reps in the 8-12 range with 2 to 3 minutes rest per set (always time it so you are consistent). Train 4 days a week using a split that has you only hitting each muscle group once a week. And yes volume guys I know some of you hit muscles more frequently than that with good results, but this experiment is made to get the trainee there as soon as possible and once a week volume training works fine if volume training will work for you. This section is probably the easiest one to be listed because almost all trainees try volume training at some point in time. It does NOT work well for the majority of the trainees out there because it’s just too much to recover from, but for those it works good for nothing is better and they should be doing it!
      Something like this is a decent test.

Monday Chest/Back
      DB Bench 4 x 6-10
      DB Incline 3 x 6-10
      Flys 3 x 12
      Wide Grip Chins 4 x 5
      Chest Supported Rows 4 x 8
      Neutral Grip Pull-Downs 3 x 15

Tuesday Legs
      Squats 4 x 6
      Hack Squat 3 x 10
      Leg Press 2 x 20
      Glute/Ham 3 x 10
      Standing Calf Raise 4 x 8
      Seated calf raise 3 x 10

Thursday Shoulders/Triceps
      Military Press 4 x 6-8
      Lateral Raises 3 x 10
      DB Upright rows 3 x 8
      Weighted Dips 4 x 8
      Skull-Crushers 4 x 10
      Overhead Dumbbell Extensions 2 x 15
      Weighted Abs 3 x 10

Friday Back
      Deadlift 4 x 6
      Pull-Ups 2 sets un-weighted, 2 sets weighted, AMAP unweighted, 2 x 5 weighted
      Bent Row 4 x 8
      Hammer Strength Pull-down 3 x 15

There can be a LOT of different variations on this, and as long as the volume is not much higher, this will be a decent test if you can recover enough for volume work.

Full Body Routine 3 x a week
      This is simple enough to figure out, do starting strength if you are a beginner, or HST, or Bill Star’s 5 x 5. HST will be a better choice perhaps if you don’t want to do a core level of the workload doing 5 reps.

Power Style training.
      Monday
      Squat or box squat 2-3 x 5
      Glute/Ham Raises or pullthroughs 3 x 10
      Bent Row or Chest Supported row 4 x 6
      Barbell or Dumbbell Curl 3 x 8
      Calf Raises 3 x 15

Wednesday
      Bench Press or low board press 3 x 5, or 3 x 3
      Incline Dumbbell Bench Press 4 x 8
      Military or Dumbbell Shoulder Press 3 x 8
      Skull Crushers 3 x 10
      Ab work 3 x 10

Friday
      Deadlift or rack deadlift 2-3 x 5
      Leg press 2 x 10
      Chin or lat pull-down 4 x 6
      Calf Raises 3 x 15

Monday
      Incline bench press or Incline Dumbbell Press 3 x 5, or 3 x 3
      Dumbbell Bench Press 4 x 8
      Tricep pushdowns 3 x 10
      Ab work 3 x 10 Monday

FOR THOSE THAT ARE READING COMPREHENSION CHALLENGED THE SCHEDULE GOES LIKE THIS:

1st workout
      Monday
      Squat or box squat 2-3 x 5
      Glute/Ham Raises or pullthroughs 3 x 10
      Bent Row or Chest Supported row 4 x 6
      Calf Raises 3 x 15

2nd workout 1 day later
      Wednesday
      Bench Press or low board press 3 x 5, or 3 x 3
      Incline Dumbbell Bench Press 4 x 8
      Skull Crushers 3 x 10
      Ab work 3 x 10

3rd workout 1 day later
      Friday
      Deadlift or rack deadlift 2-3 x 5
      Leg press 2 x 10
      Chin or lat pull-down 4 x 6
      Calf Raises 3 x 15

4th workout After TWO DAYS OFF
      Monday
      Incline bench press or Incline Dumbbell Press 3 x 5, or 3 x 3
      Dumbbell Bench Press 4 x 8
      Tricep pushdowns 3 x 10
      Ab work 3 x 10 Monday

next workout sequence repeat 1st through 4th workouts

Sets are NOT taken to failure, at least 1 rep short, or to the point RIGHT before form starts to break down. If you do not recover well, reduce 1 set from each of the lifts.

Rep cadence is explosive on the positive, controlled on the negative, no need to count cadence.

After warm-ups use the same weight for all sets. If you cannot get all the sets with the same weight, the weight is too heavy.

If you want to substitute something like dumbbell skull crushers for pushdowns, or hammer curls for barbell curls go ahead. DO NOT SUB OUT BIG COMPOUND MOVEMENTS FOR ISOLATION LIFTS. IF YOU CAN SQUAT AND DEADLIFT, DO THEM. THEY ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT LIFTS IN THE ROUTINE.

Rotate the lifts to something else every 4-8 weeks or whenever a lift stalls.

DELAOD BY DOING 1/2 THE SETS, OR 85% OF THE WEIGHT EVERY 4-8 WEEKS (4-5 WEEKS WORKS BEST FOR MOST PEOPLE.

Suitable substitute lifts:

Squat or box squat, you can front squat, or smith squat (smith ONLY if that is all you can do) You can leg press ONLY IF YOU ABSOLUTELY CANNOT DO REAGULAR SQUATS AND THE RESULTS WILL NOT BE AS GOOD.
      Glute/Ham Raises or pullthroughs
      Bent Row or Chest Supported row, you can dumbbell row or machine row
      Barbell or Dumbbell Curl, you can do any curl variation
      Calf Raises, you can do leg press calfs, standing barbell calf raises, or 1 arm, 1 leg dumbbell calf raises if you don't have a machine

Bench Press or low board press, you can do dumbbell presses or dips
      Incline Dumbbell Bench Press, Dumbbell inclines, or smith inclines (use the SMITH ONLY IF THAT IS THE ONLY THING YOU CAN DO
      Military or Dumbbell Shoulder Press, NO SUBS
      Skull Crushers, you can do dumbbell skull crushers, overhead tricep extensions with a bar or dumbbells, or tricep push-downs if any of these movements bother your elbows.
      Ab work, you can do a weighted sit-up, hanging leg raises, ab-wheel, or an ab machine

Deadlift or rack deadlift, you can do romanian deadlifts, or good-mornings
      Leg press, you can front squat
      Chin or lat pull-down, NO SUBS
      Barbell or Dumbbell Curl, any curl variation
      Calf Raises, you can do leg press calfs, standing barbell calf raises, or 1 arm, 1 leg dumbbell calf raises if you don't have a machine

Incline bench press or Incline Dumbbell Press, NO SUBS
      Dumbbell Bench Press, You can do dips
      Military or Dumbbell Shoulder Press, you can do upright rows
      Tricep pushdowns, you can do a skull crusher, or overhead tricep extension with a barbell or dumbbells
      Ab work 3 x 10, You can do a weighted sit-up, hanging leg raises, ab-wheel, or an ab machine

If you can't sub any of these lifts figure it out yourself and quit asking endless questions about what you can sub. The sub list just posted was created after over 100 questions have been asked about "can I do lift B instead of lift A.

Hardgainer Style Training. There are many people on these boards that have absolutely ZERO knowledge about this style of routine. And unfortunately they are most often the ones that spout off about how it could never work. One of the objections often quoted is “there is no way you could build a competitive physique with a routine like that”. To that I will say “no ****ing duh”. No you are right you can’t build a competitive physique on a routine like this. But “duh Einstein” the VAST majority of the trainees out there will never build a competitive physique no matter what they do. That takes great genetics and unfortunately most people just have it. But with proper training most guys can get damn big and strong. Big enough to turn heads wherever they go. For MANY people out there Hardgainer style training is the one and only thing that will get them there. I can’t even count the number of trainees I have seen add 20-40 lbs in a few months after YEARS of making little or no gains. I know, I was one of them! I will make this category really simple on everyone. Do this:

Split your routine up into 2 or 3 days and after warm-ups do:

Bench Press or Dips 2 x 8-12

Bent Row or Pull-up 2 x 8-12

Military or Dumbell Press 2 x 8-12

Squat 2 x 8-12

Stiff Legged Deadlift 2 x 8-12

Weighted Abs 2 x 10

DON’T worry about detail here. The idea is to actually get brutally strong on a core group of lifts instead. Here is something I posted awhile back:

For you people that are always concerned about balance and symmetry, yet don’t grow, yes, you guys.always doing 3-4 exercises per body-part to ensure “complete development” of all “aspects” of a muscle. What if all you did was:

Squats 400 x 20

Stiff-legged deadlifts 375 x 15

Bench Press 315 x 12

Pull-Up with 100 lbs extra weight x 12

Military Press Body-Weight x 10

Calf-Raise 700 x 15

Weighted Sit-Up 175 x 12

How much bigger would you be than you are now, and what muscle would be under developed?!?!?!?!?!?

What if that was ALL THE LIFTS YOU ACTUALLY DID ON A WEEK-TO-WEEK BASIS, BUT ACTUALLY DID THAT AMOUNT OF WEIGHT? AND SINCE THAT WAS ALL YOU DID YOU NEVER OVERTRAINED AND YOU WERE ALWAYS ABLE ADD A LITTLE AMOUNT OF WEIGHT TO THE BAR. HOW MUCH ****ING BIGGER WOULD YOU BE THAN YOU ARE NOW???????

Enough ranting about Hardgainer style training. Let me just add that if you have even a passing fancy about weight training and you have never read Stuart McRobert’s book “Brawn” you are really missing something.

Well we have four basic categories and ways to go about testing them, and while admittedly the formats and methods of implementing them are far from perfect they will do for someone that is really determined to be successful at bodybuilding. So how to go about putting them to the test, and how to determine if they are working? Well, we could start at doing the volume training first and work down. But I will simply say this. On a percentile basis more people fail at volume training than succeed. Don’t believe me? Go to your gym and closely observe. MOST people there will be doing a volume routine. And most will be the little guys you see spinning their wheels looking the same month after month. Volume guys, don’t take this as a knock because as I stated volume works spectacularly for those it works for. If you are one of them count your blessings, but don’t get ruffled and say that if it doesn’t work for someone it’s because they are doing something wrong. Actually you are right in a way, what they are doing wrong is overtraining.

In my opinion it would be best to start at the bottom and work your way up. The big problem here is 80% of the people that decide to try a Hardgainer routine add shit until it’s not a Hardgainer routine. LISTEN TO ME! THERE ARE VERY, VERY FEW PEOPLE OUT THERE THAT WILL NOT MAKE GREAT PROGRESS ON A HARDGAINER STYLE ROUTINE, DON’T ADD A THING AND IF IT DOESN’T WORK YOU WILL AT LEAST KNOW IT DOESN’T WORK BECAUSE IT DOESN’T SUT YOU, NOT BECAUSE YOU BASTARDIZED IT. Everyone owes it to themselves to try a routine like this at least once in their lives to at least see what it can do for them. Why have I spent so much time and words about Hardgainer style training? Do I think it’s the best way to go? Absolutely not, but I do know that it is the most misunderstood, and least likely to be tried method. I also absolutely KNOW that for the extreme hardgainer it’s the ONLY way they will ever develop an impressive physique.

Again, I would suggest starting at the bottom and working up. By doing so you WILL make gains until you run into your overtraining threshold. If you make it to volume training and volume is working for you add a few sets and keep going till a wall is hit and back down. I would suggest trying each method for 6 weeks. Judge your results by strength and size gains. Strength gains should occur on about every lift every week until you get to volume training. It is common for volume trainers to not have consistent strength gains, but they do add size consistently. Still, slow strength gains are needed because if that is not occurring you are just continually repeating the last workout. You MUST be progressing! I know some people are probably saying 6 weeks! That’s 24 months, almost half a year. Let me put it to you this way. What were your gains like over the last 6 months. What if in 6 months from now you had a great handle on your training and could then devout your time to a training protocol that actually worked for you?

I had a few people asking me why as a personal trainer I would write something like this and asked if I wasn’t concerned that I would lose business because of it. My answer was simple. I get a great deal of satisfaction helping people achieve their lifting goals and know that those people I help are more likely to come to me for assistance when they get stuck, or are ready to take their training to the next level. This is what these boards are about. People sharing knowledge and everyone benefiting from it!
      Thomas Jefferson - "When the government fears the people there is liberty; when the people fear the government there is tyranny."

MOUNTAIN-MAN is offline Platinum
      Overall activity: 5.0%
      is Over the peek

I am:
      Amused

Level

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

Quote Originally Posted by BIGMOFO View Post
      O2 can be your mentor