• Join Us!
  • oil changes
  • oil changes
  • oil changes
  • oil changes
  • oil changes
  • oil changes
  • Join Us!
  • You have 1 new Private Message Attention Guest, if you are not a member of Fitness Geared - Body Building & Fitness Community, you have 1 new private message waiting, to view it you must fill out this form.
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Thanks Thanks:  0
    Likes Likes:  0
    Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: oil changes

horsepwr is offline Elite Senior Resident
      Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
      Overall activity: 8.0%
      is just chillin

I am:
      Happy

Level

Default oil changes

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!
      • oil changes
      • oil changes

• oil changes
      • oil changes
      • oil changes
      • oil changes
      • oil changes
      • oil changes
      I never max the mileage out for oil change on my bike. I need to change it after (so long) though, right?
      How long does it take for oil to loose it's viscosity, or quality lubricating properties?

I'm useing Yamalube Performance All-Purpose.
      1 up

Go Gators

FUZO is offline FUZO
      Overall activity: 0%
      Awards:
      Posting Award
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Cool

Level
      Blog Entries

Default Re: oil changes

I will change mine every 2k miles
      Disclaimer: Steroid use is illegal in a vast number of countries around the world. This is not without reason. Steroids should only be used when prescribed by your doctor and under close supervision. Steroid use is not to be taken lightly and we do not in any way endorse or approve of illegal drug use. The information is provided on the same basis as all the other information on this site, as informational/entertainment value.

Please take the time to read these threads!

Fitness Geared Shoutbox rules

FG member signature rules

Fitness Geared Forum Rules

https://www.fitnessgeared.com/forum/f334/

https://www.fitnessgeared.com/forum/f283/

https://www.tgbsupplements.com/

is just chillin

I am:
      Happy

Level

what if you don't go 2k within a year? Do you change it twice a yr?..(every 6 months), or with the change of season?
      1 up

Go Gators

JsJs24 is offline Platinum
      Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 17
      is web surfing

I am:
      Awesome

Level

I only drive my truck on the weekends. I changed the oil 5 months ago and have only put 2,000 miles on it. I don't care how long it sits so long as it is driven periodically. To me the oil time change thing is for those who have a better time keeping track of the date rather than the miles in case they lose their sticker. Also, why is it that they use a date equal to the average amount of miles people drive. I can tell you this much at least with aircraft, the military and the manufacturers such as mine do not go by a date but instead we use engine hours.
      Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. George Washington

I do not condone the use of, nor do I use anabolic or androgenic steroids. My participation on these boards is for informational purposes only. I have done extensive research of AAS and enjoy discussing them for role playing enjoyment.

is just chillin

I am:
      Happy

Level

I appreciate the in depth reply JsJs.
      That has always been a ponder of mine. Because, if you think about it. The date is always equivilant to the most dramatic change in weather for most regions. But, I just realized, while typing that sentence, that if a simple change in weather. e.g. summmer to winter/ vice-versa...If that's all it takes to ruin the viscosity of oil, then we'd have to change our oil at least once a week. (from the major temp/climate change inseide the engine everytime it's ran) For the everyday runner. So. With all this thought and theory. I conclude that the dated oil change is simply for business purposes. Afterall, I don't recall an expiration date on the oil can.
      1 up

Go Gators

is just chillin

I am:
      Happy

Level

Quote Originally Posted by FUZO View Post
      I will change mine every 2k miles
      and I'm with ya. Every 2k-2500 for the bike.
      1 up

Go Gators

is web surfing

I am:
      Awesome

Level

Quote Originally Posted by horsepwr View Post
      I appreciate the in depth reply JsJs.
      That has always been a ponder of mine. Because, if you think about it. The date is always equivilant to the most dramatic change in weather for most regions. But, I just realized, while typing that sentence, that if a simple change in weather. e.g. summmer to winter/ vice-versa...If that's all it takes to ruin the viscosity of oil, then we'd have to change our oil at least once a week. (from the major temp/climate change inseide the engine everytime it's ran) For the everyday runner. So. With all this thought and theory. I conclude that the dated oil change is simply for business purposes. Afterall, I don't recall an expiration date on the oil can.
      There are huge profits to be made by the oil companies and the oil service centers which are determined by the frequency we change our oil. A mere 1,000 mile increase in the time you change your oil results in a month between changes on average, which decreases revenues substantially. Years ago oil was lower quality and required changing more frequently, however that is not the case today. Oil is very high in quality and has additives such as detergents that improve the functionality of it and the lifespan. Also, oil filters are higher quality today.

As for the weather. You don't have to worry about it living in FL. However, those who live in places that have 4 seasons of which 2 can be extreme in cold or heat, it is recommended to run a heavier weight oil in the summer and a lighter weight in the winter. Also, at high mileage it can be beneficial to run a slightly higher weight oil to better lubricate the bearings and prolong engine life.
      Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. George Washington

I do not condone the use of, nor do I use anabolic or androgenic steroids. My participation on these boards is for informational purposes only. I have done extensive research of AAS and enjoy discussing them for role playing enjoyment.

FUZO is offline FUZO
      Awards:
      Posting Award
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Cool

Level
      Blog Entries

If you go 2000 miles 2x a year then I would change my oil twice
      Disclaimer: Steroid use is illegal in a vast number of countries around the world. This is not without reason. Steroids should only be used when prescribed by your doctor and under close supervision. Steroid use is not to be taken lightly and we do not in any way endorse or approve of illegal drug use. The information is provided on the same basis as all the other information on this site, as informational/entertainment value.

Please take the time to read these threads!

Fitness Geared Shoutbox rules

FG member signature rules

Fitness Geared Forum Rules

https://www.fitnessgeared.com/forum/f334/

https://www.fitnessgeared.com/forum/f283/

https://www.tgbsupplements.com/

daved150 is offline Platinum
      Overall activity: 4.0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

i change the oil in my f150 every 10-15k whether it needs it or not!! funny thing is....alot of yoyu will think i'm joking, lol. 160k milles and runs lik,e a raped ape!!! (probobly about 8 oil changes in that time)
      HE WHO MAKES A BEAST OF HIMSELF, GET'S RID OF THE PAIN OF BEING A MAN!!

https://www.infinitymuscle.com/forum.php

"Actually for once your actually starting sound quite logical!"-djdiggler 07/10/2007

I LOVE BOOBOOKITTY...

jamescb77 is offline Elite FG Resident
      Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 1,098
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

all of our company trucks get their oil changed every 5000k miles and it doesn't matter how long that takes. We have multiple trucks with well over 100k on them and these are all field trucks that get beat hard. On my bike i change the oil off of what the manual says which is much more than 2k i actually believe it is 3-4k. Changing oil to much can actually be bad for a motor soudns funny but it's true. Not only that but it's a pure waste of money. By a high quality oil (ditch yamalube seriously, get some lucas, mobil 1, or amsoil). There are many diesel trucks out there which many believe to be the hardest engine on oil that have put down 100k between changes(yes they change the filter and top it off) and they have had oil samples ran and they come back fantastic.

is just chillin

I am:
      Happy

Level

Quote Originally Posted by jamescb77 View Post
      all of our company trucks get their oil changed every 5000k miles and it doesn't matter how long that takes. We have multiple trucks with well over 100k on them and these are all field trucks that get beat hard. On my bike i change the oil off of what the manual says which is much more than 2k i actually believe it is 3-4k. Changing oil to much can actually be bad for a motor soudns funny but it's true. Not only that but it's a pure waste of money. By a high quality oil (ditch yamalube seriously, get some lucas, mobil 1, or amsoil). There are many diesel trucks out there which many believe to be the hardest engine on oil that have put down 100k between changes(yes they change the filter and top it off) and they have had oil samples ran and they come back fantastic.
      omfg! I can't stand to loose everything I type.
      okay. let me try this afukingin.

I've always used, and use, Mobile 1 fully synthetic in all my Fords. I change it every 3500-5000miles. (I try not to go 5k)

If i'm riding a CBR. I use Honda GN4, then HP4(synthetic). Honda oil has proven fine.
      I'm riding a Yamaha, so I figure Yamaha engineers a good oil for their performance motors. Whoever told you that Yamalube is not good oil is speaking fiction. They either have no idea what they're talking about, or they're behind a counter that doesn't carry Yamalube. Either way. That's bs. Yamalube is just fine. There is nothing wrong with Yamalube.
      Now Lucas, on the other hand. That stuff is for a smoking '76 Dodge Ram with half a million miles on it. And it does work. I've witnessed that stuff clog the voids, and stop the smoking engine. Lucas is not for precision performance engines though. no no no! Engines with such tight tolerances as sportbikes do not benefit from Lucas' properties. It actually does the opposite, and causes internal resistance which results in a loss in power.
      1 up

Go Gators

jamescb77 is offline Elite FG Resident
      Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 1,098
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Quote Originally Posted by horsepwr View Post
      omfg! I can't stand to loose everything I type.
      okay. let me try this afukingin.

I've always used, and use, Mobile 1 fully synthetic in all my Fords. I change it every 3500-5000miles. (I try not to go 5k)

If i'm riding a CBR. I use Honda GN4, then HP4(synthetic). Honda oil has proven fine.
      I'm riding a Yamaha, so I figure Yamaha engineers a good oil for their performance motors. Whoever told you that Yamalube is not good oil is speaking fiction. They either have no idea what they're talking about, or they're behind a counter that doesn't carry Yamalube. Either way. That's bs. Yamalube is just fine. There is nothing wrong with Yamalube.
      Now Lucas, on the other hand. That stuff is for a smoking '76 Dodge Ram with half a million miles on it. And it does work. I've witnessed that stuff clog the voids, and stop the smoking engine. Lucas is not for precision performance engines though. no no no! Engines with such tight tolerances as sportbikes do not benefit from Lucas' properties. It actually does the opposite, and causes internal resistance which results in a loss in power.
      I am by no means a lucas fan boy or anythign liek that but to say their oil will hinder performance is silly. You so realice they make a motorcycle only oil designed for new motors. The do have the engine additives liek you speak of that will help tighten things up but their high performance oils will in no way hinder performance. Are they my number one choice? No but for availability and overall price it is a good deal. Your right yamalube isn't pure crap but it's not the best oil out there either. The honda oil is a far superior over the counter cycle shop oil. Those companies do just liek fors does and they let people put bids in to make their oil. They don't make it themselves.

is just chillin

I am:
      Happy

Level

huh...learn som'm new everyday. I did not know that Lucas made a [new car] formula. That is good. I've just always known of lucas as that thick, leaky rings, cracked cylinder, oil burning, smoking engine sealer. So they're competing with the performance oils. I'll still leave Lucas on the shelf instead of inside my performance engine.
      As for Honda's oil being far superior to Yamalube. I guess you've seen something I haven't between the 2. You could switch the 2 on me, and I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. And that's from pouring the new oil, to draining the spent. I have had allot more experience with Honda's oils. But, from the few oil changes I've experienced with Yamalube. It's seemed to "act" exactly as the GN4/HP4. And I am extremely finicky when it comes to engine fluids. Then again, I have no laboratory to really see how the oils break down. Viscosity differences over mileage, etc...I just have my eyes, ears, index finger & thumb for testing. I can tell a difference when I run my truck out to 5K instead of that 3500mile change with Mobile 1. There's hardly any viscosity change at 3500. 5k+ and you can tell.
      1 up

Go Gators

jipped genes is offline VET
      Overall activity: 49.0%
      Achievements:
      First 1000 Experience PointsGot three Friends
      is El Burro!

I am:
      ----

Level

i change my car every 5000 with synthetic oil.

i am sure i could go longer but i worry about moisture building up in the oil due to the infrequency i drive the GTO
      "SHIAT BIOTCH, thats a big ass!"

A clear concience is a sign of a bad memory.

husband of the year

moose riding maple syrup drinking flanel wearing canuck wannabe

is web surfing

I am:
      Awesome

Level

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!
      • oil changes
      • oil changes

• oil changes
      • oil changes
      • oil changes
      • oil changes
      • oil changes
      • oil changes
      Quote Originally Posted by daved150 View Post
      i change the oil in my f150 every 10-15k whether it needs it or not!! funny thing is....alot of yoyu will think i'm joking, lol. 160k milles and runs lik,e a raped ape!!! (probobly about 8 oil changes in that time)
      I believe that daved. My grandfather has a Ford Ranger he bought new back in the 90s. He changes the oil every 40 to 50 thousand miles, and has over 200,000 on it now. He said he has probably changed the oil about 5 times. His personal mechanic told him there is no need to change it any more often than that.

I personally change mine every 5,000 miles but am inclined to go longer. My grandfather's truck runs like new and has over 200,000 on it with only 5 changes. We all have it in our heads that oil needs to be changed every 3-5k but that is probably because the oil companies and service centers want to make money.