BALTIMORE ON Wednesday recorded its second-snowiest winter on record — with almost 53 inches.
In Washington, children on Thursday had another day off from school due to snow closure.
Hundreds of school districts on Wednesday closed for a second day across Arkansas, Oklahoma and Texas, while classes were also called off in parts of Alabama, Washington, D.C., Kentucky, Maryland, Mississippi and Tennessee.

SIGNS OF THE STORM
In the Dallas-Fort Worth area, highways were shut down early Wednesday because jackknifed tractor-trailer rigs blocked all lanes; hundreds of motorists were left stranded. At the cities’ airport, airlines canceled more than three dozen flights because of freezing drizzle.
In Arkansas and Louisiana, the storm temporarily cut power to some 11,000 families and businesses.
The latest storm, which stretched from Texas into the Northeast, was the third in a week, coating much of the South with ice, contributing to the deaths of 11 motorists, three immigrants crossing the brush of south Texas and a woman who froze to death in her home in Oklahoma.
It then plowed into mid-Atlantic states still recovering from the President’s Day weekend blizzard.

“Where’s spring?” asked Katie Cunniffe, a social worker from Plainsboro, N.J.
Still, Maryland state police said that while traffic slowed to a crawl, the latest storm was easier to deal with.
“After the 28-inch record snow fall last week, I think we can handle 2-3 inches,” spokesman Thornnie Rouse said.

DEATH TOLL
Since Sunday, 15 deaths have been attributed to the cold, ice and snow covering the south and east, including six motorists killed in Texas and five in Arkansas.
Near Little Rock, Ark., a state legislator hit an icy patch Tuesday and crashed into a stranded driver and two passersby who had stopped to help. All three were killed.

• WRC Washington: Road crews prepare for rush hour
• Providence: Snow coming, but how much?
• KXAS Dallas: Freezing rain coats DFW Roads with ice

State police said no charges were expected against Rep. Johnnie Bolin.
“I want to extend my deepest sympathies to the families of the victims,” Bolin said. “They’re in our prayers as a result of a very horrifying experience.”
In Texas, Border Patrol agents found three illegal immigrants dead of exposure.
And police in Enid, Okla., attributed the death of an 84-year-old woman to hypothermia.