• Join Us!
  • Bush and Obama both use "fear mongering" to get what they want done
  • Join Us!
  • You have 1 new Private Message Attention Guest, if you are not a member of Fitness Geared - Body Building & Fitness Community, you have 1 new private message waiting, to view it you must fill out this form.
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Thanks Thanks:  0
    Likes Likes:  0
    Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Bush and Obama both use "fear mongering" to get what they want done

Stout1 is offline FG Resident
      Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 62
      Overall activity: 0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Default Bush and Obama both use "fear mongering" to get what they want done

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

Is the new Obama administration taking cues from the Bush administration to get Congress to act? It certainly seemed that way to, South Carolina’s junior Republican senator, Jim DeMint.

DeMint, speaking Jan. 27 at The Heritage Foundation in Washington, D.C., explained the Obama administration will “create crisis and widespread panic” just like its predecessor in order to get Congress to act expeditiously.

“I’ve been around long enough to know whenever someone tells me I have to make a decision right now, my response is no,” DeMint said. “That clears it up right away and I think more and more the Bush administration and now this administration knows that they’re not going to get a quick reaction out of Congress unless they create crisis and widespread panic. And that’s going to be their M.O. to get Congress to act.”

Another senator, James Inhofe, R-Okla., explained the Bush administration used a similar tactic, under the direction of former Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson, to get the $700-billion TARP bailout bill passed by Congress back on Oct. 4, 2008.

DeMint said some Republicans now regret they voted for the TARP package, even though there is no way to gauge what might have happened had it not been passed.

“I think there’s a lot of buyer’s remorse among Republicans who voted for the bailouts of all kinds last year,” DeMint said. “And, it’s hard to prove that, some of them are saying, ‘It didn’t work out so well, but it’d been a lot worse if we hadn’t.’ It’s hard, it’s hard to argue that unless you know anything about how business works.”

“And then it’s obvious that what we did was inject a whole lot of uncertainty into the marketplace,” DeMint said. “So no, I don’t think there’s discord because of that, uh, and I really don’t blame my colleagues. If you got the President and the Secretary of the Treasury coming in saying, ‘The world economy is going to collapse next week if we don’t do something.’”

DeMint criticized the mainstream media for not conveying the message that some congressional Republicans are trying to spread about this package –that it’s filled with big-government wasteful spending projects that will do little to “stimulate” the economy.

“Well, it’s a good question and a lot of us are saying that,” DeMint said. “It’s not being picked up at all by the mainstream media and that’s why again, we’re going to have to take our message through you to the people, Rush Limbaugh, anyone who will talk about what’s really in the bill. We don’t need to make it up. It’s like they’re in a different reality. They’re talking about a bill, that when you look at it, there’s no resemblance to what they’re talking about.”

DeMint said it will take grassroots efforts to put the brakes on this stimulus package and he admitted he has seen it from constituents that are concerned about the bailout culture in Washington, D.C.

“So if we can just get the truth to the American people, or just a segment of the American people, I think you’ll, you’ll see a groundswell of anger, again because there’s, there’s a real fatigue out there on these bailouts,” DeMint continued. “I think even people who are normally not that political are coming up to me and they just sense that we’re running this country into a ditch. I’ve never seen people so anxious and so – well, I mean they grab my arm. They’re no longer single issue people. They just say, ‘Thanks for fighting. What can I do?’ I’ve heard that at least a hundred times. That’s – we just need to let people know the truth and think that they’ll get engaged.”
      Thomas Jefferson - "When the government fears the people there is liberty; when the people fear the government there is tyranny."

Fit2bLarge is offline Elite FG Resident
      Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Default Re: Bush and Obama both use "fear mongering" to get what they want done

Stout, I take it you're more or less an independent, with no party affiliation.

What do you propose to fix the mess we're in?

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Quote Originally Posted by Fit2bLarge View Post
      Stout, I take it you're more or less an independent, with no party affiliation.

What do you propose to fix the mess we're in?
      What mess exactly? There's quite a few
      Thomas Jefferson - "When the government fears the people there is liberty; when the people fear the government there is tyranny."

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

btw: Why aren't you addressing the point that Bush used fear of being attacked to push his gestapo type polices while Obama is using fear of total government collapse to push his policies through? Both same tactics to achieve own personal goals but yet two different parties....or are they really two diffeent parties?

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Quote Originally Posted by Stout1 View Post
      btw: Why aren't you addressing the point that Bush used fear of being attacked to push his gestapo type polices while Obama is using fear of total government collapse to push his policies through? Both same tactics to achieve own personal goals but yet two different parties....or are they really two diffeent parties?
      Here is my opinion. Bush used fear tactics to invade Iraq. The faulty intelligence, the 'weapons of mass destruction' that Saddam supposedly had, all fear tactics to justify a war on Iraq.

In my opinion, the fear that Obama is talking about is true. We are in big trouble economically. You can see these things. You can see unemployment. I'm sure there is someone close to you that's been laid off and can't find work. I'm sure you know someone or of someone that can't get a loan to buy a home or a car. I'm sure you know of businesses that have gone under because no one is buying their goods. These are things you can see and feel. Bush's fear was all talk, nothing concrete, nothing you can see or feel. To this day, nothing has been found in Iraq, no WMD. That's the difference. The fear you see displayed by the Administration is real, it's really happening, it's happening all around us.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Quote Originally Posted by Fit2bLarge View Post
      Here is my opinion. Bush used fear tactics to invade Iraq. The faulty intelligence, the 'weapons of mass destruction' that Saddam supposedly had, all fear tactics to justify a war on Iraq.

In my opinion, the fear that Obama is talking about is true. We are in big trouble economically. You can see these things. You can see unemployment. I'm sure there is someone close to you that's been laid off and can't find work. I'm sure you know someone or of someone that can't get a loan to buy a home or a car. I'm sure you know of businesses that have gone under because no one is buying their goods. These are things you can see and feel. Bush's fear was all talk, nothing concrete, nothing you can see or feel. To this day, nothing has been found in Iraq, no WMD. That's the difference. The fear you see displayed by the Administration is real, it's really happening, it's happening all around us.
      Is it happening around us by chance or by programs and things our government has done to help get us to this point?

It has been proven throughout history the more regulation, restrictions, and government interaction does little to help stem the free fall. The only way this will get fixed is allowing the free market to fix itself. They aren't doing that.

They are borrowing money from US, the american people, to fix things that are already broken. How does that fix anything? It doesn't it just delays the inevitable.
      Last edited by Stout1; 01-28-2009 at 03:41 PM.

pigmeat is offline Platinum
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

one of these days we need to take our country back
      SUPERMOD@ LORDSOFIRON.COM (invite only)

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Quote Originally Posted by pigmeat View Post
      one of these days we need to take our country back
      It will be at least another four years

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Stout1 View Post
      Is it happening around us by chance or by programs and things our government has done to help get us to this point?

It has been proven throughout history the more regulation, restrictions, and government interaction does little to help stem the free fall. The only way this will get fixed is allowing the free market to fix itself. They aren't doing that.

They are borrowing money from US, the american people, to fix things that are already broken. How does that fix anything? It doesn't it just delays the inevitable.
      So what in your opinion was the cause of the current economic mess we're in? Was is not caused by the market itself? Didn't the prior administration let the market run rampid to do what they wanted? So you propose the markets keep running the way they are and it will eventually fix itself. The last time we allowed the markets to correct themselves, we found ourselves digging out of a great depression.