• Join Us!
  • Anabolic Steroids Help People with HIV Gain Weight
  • Join Us!
  • You have 1 new Private Message Attention Guest, if you are not a member of Fitness Geared - Body Building & Fitness Community, you have 1 new private message waiting, to view it you must fill out this form.
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Thanks Thanks:  0
    Likes Likes:  0
    Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Anabolic Steroids Help People with HIV Gain Weight

FUZO is offline FUZO
      Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
      Overall activity: 0%
      Awards:
      Posting Award
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Cool

Level
      Blog Entries

Default Anabolic Steroids Help People with HIV Gain Weight

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

Anabolic Steroids Help People with HIV Gain Weight
      Libraries
      Medical News Keywords
      HIV, AIDS, STERIODS, WEIGHT GAIN
      Contact Information

People with HIV who are treated with anabolic steroids to prevent AIDS wasting may realize modest gains in weight and muscle mass, a new review shows.

Newswise — People with HIV who are treated with anabolic steroids to prevent AIDS wasting may realize modest gains in weight and muscle mass, a new review shows.

The review covered 13 studies of adults age 24 to 42 with HIV, 294 of whom received anabolic steroids for at least six weeks and 238 of whom received placebo. The average weight increase in those taking anabolic steroids was nearly three pounds.

“The magnitude of weight gain observed may be considered clinically relevant,” said lead author Karen Johns, a medical assessment officer from the agency Health Canada. “One hopes there would be greater weight gain with the long-term use of anabolic steroids; however, this has not been proven to date in clinical trials.”

The review appears in the most recent issue of The Cochrane Library, a publication of The Cochrane Collaboration, an international organization that evaluates medical research. Systematic reviews draw evidence-based conclusions about medical practice after considering both the content and quality of existing medical trials on a topic.

AIDS wasting, which leads to significant weight loss in people with HIV, causes severe loss of weight and muscle and can lead to muscle weakness, organ failure and shortened lifespan. Researchers have long sought to reverse this common, destructive effect of HIV with mixed success.

The wasting stems from loss of the body’s ability to grow muscle and from low levels of testosterone.

Anabolic steroids are synthetic substances similar to the male sex hormone testosterone that promote growth of skeletal muscle and the development of male sexual characteristics.

Although most recently in the news for their misuse by professional athletes, anabolic steroids have legitimate medical application for men with low testosterone and people with certain types of anemia. Two anabolic steroids available in the United States, nandrolone decanoate and oxandrolone, have been used to help increase weight and muscle mass in small studies of people with wasting.

Conversely, anabolic steroid use has been associated with increased rates of HIV in those who share needles or use nonsterile needles when they inject steroids.

In the review studies, anabolic steroids were administered to patients either orally or by injection. The main side effects were mild and included abnormal liver function tests; acne; mild increase in body hair; breast tenderness; increased libido, aggressiveness and irritability; and mood swings — all common side effect of anabolic steroid use.

“The risks and side effects of taking anabolic steroids long-term are certainly of concern,” Johns said. “We were unable to assess these risks in our review due to the short duration of treatment in the studies.”

Wayne Dodge, M.D., the HIV/AIDS program director at the Group Health Cooperative in Seattle, suggests that clinicians should obtain blood testosterone levels, “if an HIV-infected individual has had significant weight loss, significant fatigue or muscle wasting, and particularly if associated with a significant decrease in libido and erections. If [testosterone] is in the low or low-normal range then a trial of [steroids] could be tried. The individual and the clinician should decide what result would constitute a successful trial: weight gain of 15 pounds, a 30 percent improvement in sense of well-being [or] a successful erection once a week.”

The reviews authors conclude that further studies are needed to determine if increase in weight leads to improved physical functioning and quality of life, and ultimately increased survival, as well as the potential for serious side effects, especially with prolonged use.

Johns K, et al. Anabolic steroids for the treatment of weight loss in HIV-infected individuals. The Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2005, Issue 4.

The Cochrane Collaboration is an international nonprofit, independent organization that produces and disseminates systematic reviews of health care interventions and promotes the search for evidence in the form of clinical trials and other studies of interventions. Visit https://www.cochrane.org for more information.
      Disclaimer: Steroid use is illegal in a vast number of countries around the world. This is not without reason. Steroids should only be used when prescribed by your doctor and under close supervision. Steroid use is not to be taken lightly and we do not in any way endorse or approve of illegal drug use. The information is provided on the same basis as all the other information on this site, as informational/entertainment value.

Please take the time to read these threads!

Fitness Geared Shoutbox rules

FG member signature rules

Fitness Geared Forum Rules

https://www.fitnessgeared.com/forum/f334/

https://www.fitnessgeared.com/forum/f283/

https://www.tgbsupplements.com/

mtnmedic is offline Platinum
      is Being patient

I am:
      Cool

Level

Default Re: Anabolic Steroids Help People with HIV Gain Weight

Thanks FUZO great post ! Now this is what I've been talking about, I feel 101% better than I did before. I was loosing weight like crazy 147 to 114 in just a matter of weeks, I would look in the mirror and I could tell I was dying !! I didn't want to do anything cause I was too tired all the time. My doc put me on protease inhibitors which made me even sicker, this went on for years. After becoming a member on the board I learned how a guy like me could gain some advantage using AAS. So I asked my doc who said "no way" dont even tell me if you do either.. So I got a hold of some M1T and made some really good gains, I was becoming my old self again, (even better)! It gave a bit of a jump start so I could get out and do things once again. Now im on AZT (lot better), cell counts just keep growing, weight is 166 to 170, and I feel great !! I will be seeing my doc (got a new one) next month and boy do I have a surprise for him !
      Leaders did what others weren't willing to do, now they enjoy the things that others do not.

Terra Explorations
      Our passion never dies !
      ) O (

FUZO is offline FUZO
      Awards:
      Posting Award
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Cool

Level
      Blog Entries

MTNMEDIC JUST STAY HEALTHY YOUR A VERY IMPORTANT PERSON HERE AT FG
      Disclaimer: Steroid use is illegal in a vast number of countries around the world. This is not without reason. Steroids should only be used when prescribed by your doctor and under close supervision. Steroid use is not to be taken lightly and we do not in any way endorse or approve of illegal drug use. The information is provided on the same basis as all the other information on this site, as informational/entertainment value.

Please take the time to read these threads!

Fitness Geared Shoutbox rules

FG member signature rules

Fitness Geared Forum Rules

https://www.fitnessgeared.com/forum/f334/

https://www.fitnessgeared.com/forum/f283/

https://www.tgbsupplements.com/

O2BESOHUGE is offline ADMINISTRATOR
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Awesome

Level

I AGREE...STAY HEALTHY MTNMEDIC!! YOU HAVE A FAMILY HERE!

O2
      ..“Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same.”

angryoldman is offline Platinum
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Back in the early 90's, when Bill Phillips had Muscle Media 2000 in the original form, there was a gentleman who wrote a monthly column for MM2K under the name of Mr X. He was a Medical Doctor who was gay and living with AIDS. He was experimenting with Anabolic Steroids to help him keep his body weight up. It was quite effective in keeping his weight up and from losing muscle. However, back in the early 90's, his findings were not taken all to seriously. But it's good to hear that now they are legitimately conducting studies on these findings.
      “I don't look ahead... I keep focused on my next opponent. I am looking forward to my next opponent, I don't think past that point.”
      --Manny Pacquiao

Big Mike's speach to Congress telling them to phuque off on the steroid ban:

https://www.moviewavs.com/0049230534/...y/statemnt.mp3

Fitnessgeared's resident Smart ass

is Being patient

I am:
      Cool

Level

Thanks guys that really means ALOT to me. angryoldman,.. didn't that dude and another guy write a book called "Built to Survive"? I bought that book and it was a pretty good read, he was doing Enanthate and Deca. Nothing big as far as dose I dont think, 200 or 300mgs maby. But he looks pretty damn good for a guy who (was) dyin'. I sent that copy to Portland to the Infectious Disease Center,.. my doc said everyone there liked it,.. but it didn't change his mind on getting me on a script. Thats okay cause I found a better "Compassion Club".
      Leaders did what others weren't willing to do, now they enjoy the things that others do not.

Terra Explorations
      Our passion never dies !
      ) O (

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Quote Originally Posted by mtnmedic
      Thanks guys that really means ALOT to me. angryoldman,.. didn't that dude and another guy write a book called "Built to Survive"? I bought that book and it was a pretty good read, he was doing Enanthate and Deca. Nothing big as far as dose I dont think, 200 or 300mgs maby. But he looks pretty damn good for a guy who (was) dyin'. I sent that copy to Portland to the Infectious Disease Center,.. my doc said everyone there liked it,.. but it didn't change his mind on getting me on a script. Thats okay cause I found a better "Compassion Club".
      No. Mr X was actually Dr Michael Dullnig, a young gay Psychiatrist who contracted HIV. He called Bill Phillips one day and asked him if he could write for him about his experiences with HIV and steroids. Bill Phillips agreed happily. I remember Mr X because, 1) I read MM2K faithfully, and 2) his results were incredible. You are correct in the part where you said he didn't take massive quantities. He took about 400mg of deca per week. Then he tried Cypionate. Then anadrol. He experimented with many drugs. Here is a great article about someone who contacted Dr Dullnig:
      https://www.medibolics.com/nelson2.htm
      “I don't look ahead... I keep focused on my next opponent. I am looking forward to my next opponent, I don't think past that point.”
      --Manny Pacquiao

is Being patient

I am:
      Cool

Level

When I read things like that something just kicks in,.. I get angry, like a survival mode or something clicks inside me. I get this drive and competitiveness that overwhelms me, its a good thing, and im sure my brothers and sisters here get the same way at times too (ya know who you are)! But to those who dont understand take it as an arrogance or cockyness. angryoldman, thanks for the great read. See my docs just tell me to "take these pills and see ya in a coupla months". I never got a diet or excercise program. Hell, I have gotten more help and support from my bro's and siss' here on the board than anywhere else !! Damn, im all fired up now typing this !! Im gonna hit the gym and set some examples, then tonight im off to Kempo. I had two free intro lessons, I jus got a new GI and tonight im signing up. Then this weekend im going to spend some in the hills alone,..stalking my cougar. He was right, "those with a purpose tend to live longer lives".

Terra Explorations
      Our passion never dies !
      ) O (

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Quote Originally Posted by mtnmedic
      When I read things like that something just kicks in,.. I get angry, like a survival mode or something clicks inside me. I get this drive and competitiveness that overwhelms me, its a good thing, and im sure my brothers and sisters here get the same way at times too (ya know who you are)! But to those who dont understand take it as an arrogance or cockyness. angryoldman, thanks for the great read. See my docs just tell me to "take these pills and see ya in a coupla months". I never got a diet or excercise program. Hell, I have gotten more help and support from my bro's and siss' here on the board than anywhere else !! Damn, im all fired up now typing this !! Im gonna hit the gym and set some examples, then tonight im off to Kempo. I had two free intro lessons, I jus got a new GI and tonight im signing up. Then this weekend im going to spend some in the hills alone,..stalking my cougar. He was right, "those with a purpose tend to live longer lives".
      I see where you're coming from Pally. It's like if you have HIV, you're almost swept under the rug with any new type of treatments. Since Steroids are so taboo these days, I don't know of many Doctors that would experiment with them. Hang in there, and sooner or later you can write your own book on how AAS helped you!!
      On a side note, did you hear in the news about a guy (I think in Germany) who said he was cured of the HIV virus? If it's true, there's some AWESOME news.
      --Manny Pacquiao

is Being patient

I am:
      Cool

Level

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

Funny you should say that, alot of people say I should write one. lol

Terra Explorations
      Our passion never dies !
      ) O (