• Join Us!
  • Guilt can harm the immune system
  • Join Us!
  • You have 1 new Private Message Attention Guest, if you are not a member of Fitness Geared - Body Building & Fitness Community, you have 1 new private message waiting, to view it you must fill out this form.
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Guilt can harm the immune system

animal87 is offline Elite FG Resident
      Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 390
      Overall activity: 0%
      Achievements:
      Got three FriendsFirst 1000 Experience Points
      is eating doughnuts in the squat
      rack

I am:
      Crazy

Level

Default Guilt can harm the immune system

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

Feelings of guilt tax the immune system and can contribute to a variety of health problems, including stroke and heart disease.

You eat a healthy diet, exercise daily, and limit saturated fats. But if you’re consumed with guilt, you may have overlooked an important health component.

Feeling guilty taxes the immune system and has been associated with chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia and heart disease. “Guilt steals the body’s energy and zaps its immune system,” says Christel Nani, R.N., a medical intuitive and author of “Sacred Choices: Thinking Outside the Tribe to Heal your Spirit” (Harmony).

Research from Emory University suggests that harboring negative feelings — like guilt — puts you at high risk of coronary heart disease and stroke. The study shows negative emotions actually elevate levels of C-reactive protein, which is linked to inflammation that leads to cardiovascular disease.

Another study showed participants who engage in self blame had higher levels of pro-inflammatory cytokine activity, which is critical to immune function. And scientists report immunoglobulin A — a marker of how well the immune system can fend off illness — plummets in people who are racked with guilt.

“Some women have these internal rules. They have to be at every soccer game or dental appointment,” says Kim Feingold, Ph.D., founder and director of the Cardiac Behavioral Medicine Service of the Bluhm Cardiovascular Institute of Northwestern Memorial Hospital and assistant professor of surgery and assistant professor of psychiatry at Northwestern University's Feinberg School of Medicine.

They may be fabulous caregivers, since nurturing gives them satisfaction, but it often leads to sacrificing their own best interests. They put off a mammogram, skip a workout with a friend or surrender much needed downtime.

“Good old-fashioned guilt is simply when you are trying to force yourself to follow a rule that is not aligned with your spirit or heart and soul,” says Nani. You only have so much energy. Feeding your guilt rather than your body, mind and spirit can cause anxiety, depression and gastrointestinal upset.

Whether you’re guilty of not giving 100 percent on the job, missing workouts or not spending enough family time, you can recognize and halt the feelings associated with guilt. Here’s how:

Prevent it
      Start each day with a guilt-preventing action, like planning an after-work bike ride to snag more quality time with family, or scheduling that long overdue work evaluation meeting. Head off guilt before it crops up.

Change the rules
      Nothing is set in stone. Leave the dishes for later and watch a movie with the kids instead. Let a co-worker handle a work crisis while you finish the project. Every sector of life is fair game for a rule do-over. Don’t let rigid mindsets compromise enjoyment, health or work.

Rewrite your personal belief system
      Guilt stems from personal beliefs that no longer serve you [“A good mom puts a home-cooked meal on the table every night,” “If I don’t work till I drop, I won’t get ahead”]. Identify and rewrite yours: Good moms sometimes put home-cooked meals on the table. If I work smartly, I’ll get ahead. Think out of the box when you create new beliefs. Repeat yours several times a day or post it on the fridge or the computer.

Put yourself on your to-do list
      Schedule exercise, medical appointments or meditation time, and keep these appointments as firmly as you would other important to-do’s.

Say no
      Practice saying no so you’ll be prepared. You needn’t head up the fundraiser or plant winter vegetables if you’d rather not. Ask yourself if something excites you; does it make you feel good? If not, gently, nicely … just say no — sans the guilt.

Delegate
      Squash the notion that you must do everything; it’s a guilt-producing mantra. Delegating isn’t giving up control, it’s gaining it by having more time and energy, achieving faster results and giving people you spend time with opportunities to share their experience, wisdom and perspective.

Dzone is offline Super Moderator
      Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
      Overall activity: 44.0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Happy

Level
      Blog Entries

Default Re: Guilt can harm the immune system

That was a good read. Thanks

6p6 is offline Super Moderator
      Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
      Overall activity: 29.0%
      is armed and ready...R U?

I am:
      Wtf

Level

Quote Originally Posted by Dzone View Post
      That was a good read. Thanks
      Very

animal87 is offline Elite FG Resident
      Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 390
      Overall activity: 0%
      Achievements:
      is eating doughnuts in the squat
      rack

I am:
      Crazy

Level

I need to start delegating, I don't feel right unless i work till i fall down.

Little BamBam is offline Platinum
      Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 207
      Overall activity: 8.0%
      Achievements:
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Great read man for sure

Christsean
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

Great read! Just like physical stress can wreak havoc on our immune systems, so does mental stress.

This is an article I read explaining the relationship between anxiety and our immune system. Guilt causes anxiety and anxiety compromises our immune systems.

Experiencing*anxiety*for an extended amount of time can put your immune system in danger. Scientific evidence has shown that chronic anxiety causes a measurable decline in the immune system’s ability to fight disease.Traditional stressors like traffic jams, demanding work things, family squabbles are usually temporary. Others will be a lot of long lasting such as divorce and death within the family.What happens after we experience a stressful circumstance such as an aggressive driver, angry boss or heated argument with a friend?Our brains signal our adrenal glands to start out releasing stress hormones which causes our hearts to pump harder and faster, our blood pressure to rise, pupils to dilate and we tend to are ready for action. After a brief time our bodies return to their original relaxed state.However constant anxiety can have a harmful result on the immune system. Our T cells don't work efficiently. Any type of stress, physical or emotional will increase stress hormones which will dampen immune response but prolonged anxiety can have severe adverse effects.A healthy immune system regulates our body's healing process and protects it against infections and diseases. When anxiety compromises our immune perform, it can end in*fatigue, flue, colds, cardiovascular issues and early aging. Anxiety will increase blood pressure, heart rate, adrenaline, cortisol, free radicals, glucose levels, and oxidative damage.Anxiety appears to have become a relentless factor in our quick-paced society. If left unchecked, it can wreak havoc upon our health. Learning the way to effectively manage stress can mean the difference between being sturdy and full of life, or being susceptible to illness and disease. Anxiety will weaken the immune system and accelerate the aging method. The ability to relax and rejuvenate promotes longevity, wellness and vitality.