Wow, I would have figured more of you change your own oil. I grew up thinking that was just what a man did. My pops was not mechanically inclined but still did his own. I worked at the jiffy lube and they use bulk oil (the gun things they fill your crank case with) Bulk oil absorbs moisture over time. I think it is fine for a normal car but for something that is pushed hard like by jeep or my bikes. I like bottled synthetic.

As for the time to do it, it takes more time to jack up the vehicle than actually do the job. that and letting it drain. I use put the oil back into the bottles with a funnel and take them to the auto parts store next time I go get oil. (also I use it for chain saw oil)

I guess I will do it as long as I am physically able.

also some of you change pretty frequently and use synthetic. really not necessary. you can get 5K miles minimum with conventional oil for most cars now and 10K with syn. I change mine only because I drive a lot of short distances, sometimes it does not get warmed up all the way which is bad for oil. A car that drives long miles on the highway in 1-2 hour trips with minimal city driving can double oil change frequency to more than 10K and it's oil will protect much better than a car that drove 5K all city. It is the heat cycles that break down and pollute oil, not the miles but that is just a simple way to manage your changes. My wife's SUV has a 10K oil change rate. my wrangler only 6K miles.

i think for most of us, changing the oil every 5-7K miles is good especially if you drive in either really cold or really hot climates, push your motor hard like performance driving, offroad, towing, lots of city driving, lots of idling or not getting up to full operating temp.

as for $$$ I can do a full syn oil change for under $30, Sams club puts 6 quarts of mobil one on sale for $24 (jeep take 5.75 quarts) filter is a paper filter not a screw on (even easier and cleaner to change) $2.75 at walmart (next door to sams and I can get a 6 pack of brew) AND I like doing it.