Research data collected over the past 35 years as part of the Copenhagen City Heart study has now proven conclusively that jogging at a comfortable pace for one to 2.5 hours, split into two to three sessions per week, extended lifespan in men by 6.2 years and in women by 5.6 years. This study confirms that jogging is the gold standard for cardiovascular vitality.

“The results of our research allow us to definitively answer the question of whether jogging is good for your health,” said Peter Schnohr, chief cardiologist of the Copenhagen City Heart Study. “We can say with certainty that regular jogging increases longevity. The good news is that you don’t actually need to do that much to reap the benefits.”

Schnohr attributed many significant cardiovascular benefits to jogging: It improves oxygen uptake, increases insulin sensitivity, improves lipid profiles (raising HDL and lowering triglycerides), lowers blood pressure, reduces platelet aggregation, increases fibrinolytic activity (anti-clotting activity), improves cardiac function, bone density and immune function, reduces inflammation markers, prevents obesity, and improves psychological function.

Our bodies are made to be used and human evolution has shown that literally we were born to run. I like how Schnohr defines the optimal pace, “You should aim to feel a little breathless, but not very breathless.” I like to say that you should jog at a pace that you can still talk to someone, not that you want to for very long. I like a pace where you need two breaths in, the first higher up and the second lower down, and then one breath out. Your breathing should be in a relaxed rhythm, not fast, hurried, or panting.

I have written extensively on my tips for dietary supplements to help you jog. They will give you a more optimal response to jogging and help you develop fitness at a faster rate over time. Such supplementation not only helps the casual jogger like me, but can also be used by elite athletes to maximize performance as well as individuals with fibromyalgia so that they can begin to recover normal fitness without drastic pain rebound when they try to exercise.

This study also showed that excessive exercise during aging is of no value and counter-productive. Regardless of your current level of fitness, get going doing what you can do. Gradually build up to a consistent three times per week routine, ideally 30 – 50 minutes per time (longer times especially to help weight loss). Remember, the new science shows that when you are jogging you are burning almost all fat – the longer you can go, even at a slower pace, the more fat you will burn.

More...