There is a lot of misinformation because Korea wants the world to believe TKD is anancient art. Some people think I'm saying tae kwon do isn't based on older martial arts.That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying tae kwon do is NOT based on taekkyon or other socalled "ancient" arts from Korea and is fact based on karate and a little chuan fa. I laythis all out in great detail in <ahref="https://docs.google.com/a/askmeneditorial.com/document/d/1W0kgmU8Qz8Jr71i9VqX1ihLL22_NP9vrdfF9AqEQm-A/edit"target="_blank">my thesis.- Fett2Expert opinion:The martial arts of Korea's tae kwon docan indeed be traced back to ancient Japan, China and ancient Korea, but as it ispracticed today, the "way of the smashing foot and hand" is not even a centuryold.According to tae kwon do scholar and black beltDakin Burdick, Japan began a long and difficult occupation of Korea in 1905, whichincluded banning the practice of martial arts, beginning in 1909. This ban was lifted asthe Japanese began preparing to enter World War II, introducing several forms to theoccupied Koreans, including judo, karate and kung fu. The occupation ended in 1945, butthe country was now hooked on studying Japanese forms of martial arts, just as formsnative to Korea such as tae kyon and subak also began to make a comeback.Hang Hi Choi, the father of tae kwon do, himself was trained inshotokan karate. But after the war, as a major general in the Korean military, he was instrumental in helping to unify the many similar schools, or kwans, arising in Korea.In 1957, the unified form was crowned tae kwon do in 1957.Resources:Burdick, Dakin. People and Events inTaekwondo's Formative Years. Journal of Asian Martial Arts. Vol 6, N1: 1997.Burdick, Dakin. A History of Taekwondo. 1990. Continue Reading

More...