• Join Us!
  • alchohol and Testosterone
  • Join Us!
  • You have 1 new Private Message Attention Guest, if you are not a member of Fitness Geared - Body Building & Fitness Community, you have 1 new private message waiting, to view it you must fill out this form.
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Thanks Thanks:  0
    Likes Likes:  0
    Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: alchohol and Testosterone

ketsugo is offline *BANNED*
      Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 143
      Overall activity: 0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Default alchohol and Testosterone

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

Alcohol and Testosterone
      Does alcohol help or hurt your testosterone? That's a question every guy should ask himself. Alcohol is currently a much-loved chemical in the health media and blogging worlds. After all, it is manly, helps with heart disease and is often ground zero of our social universe.

However, for those of us who want to optimize our hormonal and testosterone levels, alcohol, or ethanol as it is known scientifically, is certainly no friend. Animal studies, for example, found that alcohol lowered testosterone levels in rats by about 40%. [1] We also know that heavy drinkers (without liver disease) have significantly lowered sperm counts, sperm motility and free testosterone. [2] By the way, alcohol does not just affect testosterone but growth hormone levels as well. [3]

The short term reason for this is that acetylaldehyde, the primary breakdown product of ethanol (alcohol), acts on the Leydig Cells directly to reduce testosterone production. Even small dosage levels affect testosterone production in isolated rat Leydig cells, a very bad sign indeed. [4] The drop in testosterone can even be more severe in those with depleted Vitamin E levels. Researchers found drops in testosterone of 50% in one study! [5] And consider this: rats fed a 5% ethanol diet lose 50% of the weight of their testicles. [6] Ouch!

Do you know the foods and drinks that increase erection-boosting Nitric Oxide? Check out the Peak Erectile Strength Diet where I show you how to dramatically and naturally improve your erectile strength.

NOTE: Researchers at the National Institute of Health believe that alcohol lowers testosterone through four key mechanisms: 1) an increase in the opiod beta-endorphin, 2) a reduction in testicular nitric oxide, 3) oxidative damage, 4) cell damage (from increased oxidation). [10] All of these pathways will lower testosterone and explain why alcohol is such a potent testosterone lowerer, especially in those who drink more than moderately.

Okay, so alcohol is hard on rats and dogs - so what about humans? Sorry, but alcohol has been found to be just as tough on human testosterone. One study found that (a heavy dose) of alcohol on 8 adult males lowered testosterone (and raised cortisol) for 24 hours afterward! [7] A more recent study, almost twenty five years later, verified that drinkers in the armed forces had lower free and total testosterone (and higher estrogen levels). [8]

What if you don't overdrink? The results are a little less noxious according to one study out of the Netherlands. These researchers found that moderate drinking lowered testosterone by 7% (but did raise HDL by 12%). [9]

Alcohol is also a notorious estrogen-increaser. It does this by affecting the liver's P450 enzyme subsystem in a negative way. Basically, it slows down your body's ability to process estrogen, allowing it to build up in your blood stream. That means, as good Peak Testosterone readers know, that testosterone will be reduced because estrogen is a testosterone lowerer.

If you think about it, alcohol fights your testosterone in almost every negative way possible: its breakdown products directly lowers Leydig cell production and it increases cortisol and estrogen, both of which are known testosterone blockers! And, as I have covered in another link on the Pros and Cons of Alcohol, drinking raises the risk for all GI cancers as well.

The research: multi-supplement cocktails can turbocharge erectile strength.

Many guys drink for social reasons and the heart benefits, but I just cannot see the advantage considering the fact that it can affect testosterone, estrogen and cortisol levels in such a negative way. This is especially important for use middle aged and beyond guys who are already struggling with these three hormones just from the aging process! If you are exercising with a Low Fat Diet, for example, your heart will be strongly protected anyway. In other words, you don't need alcohol.

And that's my summary really: you don't really need alcohol, so why bother? An occasional social drink is no big deal, but otherwise I'd stick to good, clean livin' and optimizing your testosterone. You need every last drop you can get!

My 5 Top Erectile Supplements w/ solid research.

REFERENCES:

1) Biology of Reproduction, Jan 1 1990, 42(1):55-62, "Effects of chronic ethanol diet on pituitary-testicular function of the rat"

2) Alcoholism, Clinical and Experimental Res, 1997, 21(1):128-133, "Testicular function in asymptomatic chronic alcoholics : Relation to ethanol intake"

3) J of Endocrinology, 1997, 152:477-487, "Ethanol, growth hormone and testosterone in peripubertal rats"

4) Oxford Journals Medicine Alcohol and Alcoholism, 1987, 22:17-22, "ETHANOL-INDUCED INHIBITION OF TESTOSTERONE BIOSYNTHESIS IN VITRO: LACK OF ACETALDEHYDE EFFECT"

5) Int J Vitam Nutr Res, 1987, 57(3): 267-71, "Plasma testosterone in rats exposed to ethanol during vitamin E deficiency"

6) Endocrinology Vol, 1979, 105(4):888-895, "Alcohol-Induced Testicular Atrophy in the Adult Male Rat"

7) Alcohol, Jan-Feb 1984, 1(1):89-93, "Sex hormones and adrenocortical steroids in men acutely intoxicated with ethanol"

8) Bone, 2009 Sep, 45(3):449-54, Epub 2009 May 18, "Effect of alcohol consumption on bone mineral density and hormonal parameters in physically active male soldiers"

9) Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research, Published Online 13 Apr 2006, 28(5):780-785

10) Mary Ann Emanuele, M.D., and Nicholas Emanuele, M.D., "Alcohol and the Male Reproductive System", https://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publicatio...-4/282-287.htm

MxxC82 is offline Established Member
      Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 89
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Cool

Level

Default Re: alchohol and Testosterone

good read!
      "To gain strength on the outside it takes a greater strength within!"

I'm not trying to be better than anyone, I am just trying to be better than who I was yesterday.

daved150 is offline Platinum
      Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
      Overall activity: 4.0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

wow...good thing i take extra test with my alcohol!!!...lol...good read bro
      HE WHO MAKES A BEAST OF HIMSELF, GET'S RID OF THE PAIN OF BEING A MAN!!

https://www.infinitymuscle.com/forum.php

"Actually for once your actually starting sound quite logical!"-djdiggler 07/10/2007

I LOVE BOOBOOKITTY...

jipped genes is offline VET
      Overall activity: 49.0%
      Achievements:
      First 1000 Experience PointsGot three Friends
      is El Burro!

I am:
      ----

Level

i did not know this. thanks
      "SHIAT BIOTCH, thats a big ass!"

A clear concience is a sign of a bad memory.

husband of the year

moose riding maple syrup drinking flanel wearing canuck wannabe

alluprbdy
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

I def try an keep it to a minimum not only bc of the above facts, but it kills my next day training and eating. If i drink i like to have a glass of wine instead of slammin redbull/vodka all nite.

6p6 is offline Super Moderator
      Overall activity: 29.0%
      is armed and ready...R U?

I am:
      Wtf

Level

good read!

Dzone is offline Super Moderator
      Overall activity: 44.0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Happy

Level
      Blog Entries

Man, great information. Thanks!
      No need for alcohol. Theres no benefit regardless of the BS they try to pass off as truth. I cant even stand seeing beer commercials on TV. I am totally against drinking. At least not for me. I dont judge anyone who drinks. my gf has drink sometimes, I dont care..Im just damn glad I dont drink..i dont need further damage in my dome
      The short term reason for this is that acetylaldehyde, the primary breakdown product of ethanol (alcohol), acts on the Leydig Cells directly to reduce testosterone production. Even small dosage levels affect testosterone production in isolated rat Leydig cells, a very bad sign indeed. [4]

ketsugo is offline *BANNED*
      Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 143
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Quote Originally Posted by Dzone View Post
      Man, great information. Thanks!
      No need for alcohol. Theres no benefit regardless of the BS they try to pass off as truth. I cant even stand seeing beer commercials on TV. I am totally against drinking. At least not for me. I dont judge anyone who drinks. my gf has drink sometimes, I dont care..Im just damn glad I dont drink..i dont need further damage in my dome
      The short term reason for this is that acetylaldehyde, the primary breakdown product of ethanol (alcohol), acts on the Leydig Cells directly to reduce testosterone production. Even small dosage levels affect testosterone production in isolated rat Leydig cells, a very bad sign indeed. [4]
      Im with you Bro- Dont drink not a little no now not ever. Dont care who does, but they dont hang with me.

This user has no status.

I am:
      Happy

Level
      Blog Entries

On that PBS show about brain training, they show a brain image of a guy who drinks and it looks like swiss cheese compared to the non drinking brain

This user has no status.

I am:
      Happy

Level
      Blog Entries

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

Quote Originally Posted by ketsugo View Post
      Im with you Bro- Dont drink not a little no now not ever. Dont care who does, but they dont hang with me.
      Ya, two thumbs up on that one