• Join Us!
  • bullet trajectory
  • bullet trajectory
  • bullet trajectory
  • bullet trajectory
  • bullet trajectory
  • bullet trajectory
  • Join Us!
  • You have 1 new Private Message Attention Guest, if you are not a member of Fitness Geared - Body Building & Fitness Community, you have 1 new private message waiting, to view it you must fill out this form.
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Thanks Thanks:  0
    Likes Likes:  0
    Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: bullet trajectory

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
      horsepwr is offline Elite Senior Resident
      Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
      Overall activity: 8.0%
      is just chillin

I am:
      Happy

Level

Default bullet trajectory

So I was having a conversation about bullet trajectory, and the guy told me that bullets rise after leaving the barrel. I replied, "negative ghostrider". He told me that his dad showed him this on targets from 100 to 300yds, and that after his dad "shooted", the targets showed the bullet higher at 200yds than the 100 and 300yd targets. The rifle used was a .270.
      Now, I was, and am, just basing my argument off common sense geometry, that a bullet will not rise in flight. There should only be 2 things that effect the bullet in flight. And both of those, that6 I'm aware of, only force the bullet to drop. (air & gravity) Creating drag and drop. Unless the rifling somehow creates this 'bullet rise'...I just don't see it happening. If that were the case, the rifling could make the bullet turn corners.
      Am I wrong? Is there such a thing? I'm no rifle expert. I've never even been a long distance plinker. no deer hunter. But I understand bullet trajectory. I think.
      1 up

Go Gators

JsJs24 is offline Platinum
      Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 17
      Overall activity: 0%
      is web surfing

I am:
      Awesome

Level

Default Re: bullet trajectory

Quote Originally Posted by horsepwr View Post
      Am I wrong? Is there such a thing? I'm no rifle expert. I've never even been a long distance plinker. no deer hunter. But I understand bullet trajectory. I think.
      I know a man who is one of the top long range (500-1000 yds) iron sight gun shots in the country. He explained to me that he has to aim higher at longer distances and has to compensate for bullet drop. This part is pretty obvious though, of course you would aim high at very long distances. The person you are debating this with has to be wrong. Think about it like this. If I have a .270 deer rifle, and I shoot open sights at 100 yards or less by aiming directly at the target, and hit somewhere around the bulls eye or a little low, then obviously there is no rise in the bullet. The bullet leaves the barrel and immediately faces drag, thus slowing down the flight of the bullet. Additionally, the bullet is being pulled down toward the earth by gravity at a constant force. Therefore, the bullet is decreasing in velocity and dropping in altitude throughout its flight.
      Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. George Washington

I do not condone the use of, nor do I use anabolic or androgenic steroids. My participation on these boards is for informational purposes only. I have done extensive research of AAS and enjoy discussing them for role playing enjoyment.

rc10j1 is offline Senior Resident
      Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 53
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

It's not that the bullet is rising, it's that your trajectory is aimed upwards. If your scope is sighted in at 100 yards, your trajectory is slightly above level for the arc of the trajectory to intersect the paper at 100 yards. Gravity begins dropping the bullet as soon as it leaves the muzzle. Depending on the round, I have over a 10' holdover at 1000 yards.
      They call you paranoid until the worst happens, and in the aftermath they will call you a hero.

horsepwr is offline Elite Senior Resident
      Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
      Overall activity: 8.0%
      is just chillin

I am:
      Happy

Level

Just the man I was looking to hear from. Or men. sorry.
      I received a phone call about mid-morning after posting this. It was the fellow that told me I was 'dead wrong' about bullet rise. Which kinda got under my skin, especially being the savant used "shooted" 3 times during his explanation of "deddy" and his .270 & "bullet rise".
      So, the call was letting me know that he was very young when his father told him about the bullet rising, and he'd never thought of it since. Which makes sense. He realized that there no possible way, but the dude repeated my argument in his explanation of why the bullet hit the 50yr. (yes, correction. It was 50yrds that the bullet hit higher). But, he went on to explain it had to be the result of the scope being mounted a couple inches above the barrel, so it rises because of the scope sighted in at 200-300yds, whatever...so when it crosses axis of the barrel to line of sight, the bullet rises. Basically, he figured it out.
      I appreciate the verification of my thoughts on the subject.
      No wings or force of propulsion once leaving the barrel, so...only forces of drag and drop. Only way a bullet can rise is by the direction of the barrel pointed upwards. A bullet can't rise above the barrel's axis though.
      1 up

Go Gators

ketsugo is offline *BANNED*
      Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 143
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Now this is cool shit....................