• Join Us!
  • How to Be Supplement Savvy
  • Join Us!
  • You have 1 new Private Message Attention Guest, if you are not a member of Fitness Geared - Body Building & Fitness Community, you have 1 new private message waiting, to view it you must fill out this form.
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Thanks Thanks:  0
    Likes Likes:  0
    Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: How to Be Supplement Savvy

FUZO is offline FUZO
      Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
      Overall activity: 0%
      Awards:
      Posting Award
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Cool

Level
      Blog Entries

Default How to Be Supplement Savvy

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

Before you invest your time, money, and health in nutritional supplements, it's a good idea to do some homework first.

Standing in your local pharmacy's or health food store's nutritional supplement section can be overwhelming if you aren’t supplement savvy. Many supplements are marketed with promises that they'll help you lose weight dramatically, protect you from heart disease, or conquer your diabetes. But consumers are wise to be skeptical about supplements claims.
      No Regulation Required for Supplements
      The supplement industry is not regulated and these companies aren't required to show efficacy, explains Ronald Schneeweiss, professor in the department of family medicine at the University of Washington in Seattle.
      This is a sharp contrast to over-the-counter or prescription medications, which have been tested in clinical trials that meet government standards for safety and efficacy. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) steps in to regulate specific supplements only if safety concerns arise once consumers begin using them.
      All this may leave consumers understandably confused about which claims to believe. “I think that the average consumers should be very cautious about what they buy, recognizing that what’s in the bottle may not be what’s in the label,” says Schneeweiss. “The quantity of any one batch of product sold over the counter may be different from another bottle. There may be contaminants — it’s definitely buyer beware.”
      Schneeweiss acknowledges that many people find nutritional supplements appealing because they seem more natural. However, supplements can cause significant side effects, especially if they are taken incorrectly or mixed with prescription medication.

Adding Supplements to Your Diet
      There are certainly times when your doctor will recommend taking nutritional supplements. For example, women who are pregnant, breastfeeding, or hoping to become pregnant are encouraged to take prenatal vitamins containing folic acid, which protects against birth defects. Or, you may be working with an alternative medicine provider, such as a naturopath or traditional Chinese medicine practitioner, who recommends supplements to help address a particular condition.
      The U.S. government classifies dietary or nutritional supplements as special types of foods, rather than drugs. Supplements include vitamins, minerals, amino acids, botanicals, herbs, enzymes, probiotics, and essential fatty acids. Even yogurts and water enhanced with docosahexaenoic acid (DHA, an important fatty acid) and fortified with vitamins can be considered nutritional supplements.
      Guidelines to Follow When Taking Supplements
      It's important to make informed choices when adding supplements to your diet. If you are considering taking dietary supplements, keep these guidelines in mind:
      • Communicate with your doctor. Some people are reluctant to talk to their doctor about supplements, but your doctor can help you choose an appropriate supplement while keeping your overall health in mind. Your doctor may also have other recommendations for ways you can achieve your health goals. Always tell your health care providers which nutritional supplements you are taking to reduce the risk of an unexpected interaction with prescription medication. It's also helpful if you bring in the supplement packaging to give your doctor a better sense of what the product may contain.
      • Research supplements. Schneeweiss recommends using the information available at ConsumerLab.com, a subscription-based Web site, to find out whether a supplement is safe to use. Additionally, the FDA lists supplements that are currently under review due to safety concerns on its Web site. The National Institutes of Health also has a site that serves as a good resource for safety information on nutritional supplements.
      • Be skeptical. Don’t start taking the latest, trendy supplements without first doing some background work. Keep in mind that it may take years of consumer use before a supplement is recognized as unsafe.
      • Be realistic about where you buy supplements. The staff members at health food stores generally do not receive in-depth training about nutritional supplements, Schneeweiss says. While they may want to provide you with useful information, they may not be qualified to do so.
      • Watch out for red flags. Be suspicious of products that claim to cure conditions, offer money-back guarantees if the supplement doesn't work, or say that there are no side effects.
      More Isn't Necessarily Better
      Talk with your doctor about what your daily requirements are for certain vitamins and minerals. Remember that in some instances, nutritional supplements that are helpful in moderation may be harmful in excess. Don't forget that supplements said to be "natural" aren't necessarily free of side effects. Even naturally occurring substances can lead to serious side effects like kidney and liver damage.
      Talk with your doctor and educate yourself about supplements before you start taking them. These simple steps will go a long way toward protecting your overall health and well-being.
      Disclaimer: Steroid use is illegal in a vast number of countries around the world. This is not without reason. Steroids should only be used when prescribed by your doctor and under close supervision. Steroid use is not to be taken lightly and we do not in any way endorse or approve of illegal drug use. The information is provided on the same basis as all the other information on this site, as informational/entertainment value.

Please take the time to read these threads!

Fitness Geared Shoutbox rules

FG member signature rules

Fitness Geared Forum Rules

https://www.fitnessgeared.com/forum/f334/

https://www.fitnessgeared.com/forum/f283/

https://www.tgbsupplements.com/

Dzone is offline Super Moderator
      Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
      Overall activity: 44.0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Happy

Level
      Blog Entries

Default Re: How to Be Supplement Savvy

Good info.
      Too bad there are so many Drs who know nothing about supplements. Many doctors will just say "Dont waste your money. You dont need it"

ketsugo is offline *BANNED*
      Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 143
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Definately something to think about. Too many fly by nite products that cost so much money and they dont even work. Stick to the basics- protiens, MRPs, creatine, I personally use alot of stims, only because I wake at 3am to begin my day, train at 5am then slave away at my office, only to teach , train or play again............................

FNG is offline Platinum
      Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 112
      Achievements:
      First 1000 Experience Points
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

i've been finding that the doctors i am meeting are 100% anti supplements and I feel that their being manipulated by pharmaceutical reps or these doctors are just looking out for their own investments in said pharmaceutical companies. The best doctor I ever had practiced nutritional medicine, she was also the most expensive doctor I ever worked to.
      I would like to see supplement manufacturers held liable for any product tainting. Why should xcz company leads avoid prosecution if speed is found in their diet product? I wish I had that option. I tell you what.