• Join Us!
  • Dirtbike guys inside.....
  • Join Us!
  • You have 1 new Private Message Attention Guest, if you are not a member of Fitness Geared - Body Building & Fitness Community, you have 1 new private message waiting, to view it you must fill out this form.
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Thanks Thanks:  0
    Likes Likes:  0
    Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dirtbike guys inside.....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
      tn94z is offline Platinum
      Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
      Overall activity: 0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Geeky

Level

Default Dirtbike guys inside.....

So I am getting my step son a four wheeler for christmas and I am thinking about getting me another dirt bike to ride with him (I used to race them when I was younger). I am for sure getting a 4 stroke this time but I have a few concerns about them.

1) I have heard that the rebuilds on these are crazy high, like 1000+ to do the top end alone. Anyone have experience with this? I don't know if these guys are MX racers that are just beating on their bikes like crazy, but I wouldn't think that the 4 strokes would need a rebuild that often....but I have read differently. Also, they say the 250 (which is what I would want) require them much sooner than the 450. Any thoughts?

2) I would really like to get back on a MX bike, but how good is that going to be in the trails? Are they geared too high for the trails? I have read that they get hot more quickly as well. What do you think? I will be doing a bit of both but I have also thought about hitting some GNCC races if I get back to my old level of riding.
      "He woke up because I kept punching him in the face." --Thiago Alves

"I'm telling you, once your car's been stolen, it never runs the same again. It's like a guy sleeping with your girl. He leaves his mark all over her."- Drama (Entourage)

O2BESOHUGE is offline ADMINISTRATOR
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Awesome

Level

Default Re: Dirtbike guys inside.....

TRUE...4 STROKES RUN FOREVER, ALMOST NO MAINTENANCE, PULL HARD AND STRONG...BUT, WHEN SOMETHING HAPPENS - ITS VERY EXPENSIVE! ON THE OTHER HAND, 2 STROKES ARE LOADS OF FUN AND COST AROUND $60 TO RE-BUILD THE TOP END. DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU ARE WANTING TO DO. YOU CAN PUTT AROUND ON EITHER ONE OR YOU CAN RACE EITHER ONE
      ..“Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same.”

This user has no status.

I am:
      Geeky

Level

Quote Originally Posted by O2BESOHUGE View Post
      TRUE...4 STROKES RUN FOREVER, ALMOST NO MAINTENANCE, PULL HARD AND STRONG...BUT, WHEN SOMETHING HAPPENS - ITS VERY EXPENSIVE! ON THE OTHER HAND, 2 STROKES ARE LOADS OF FUN AND COST AROUND $60 TO RE-BUILD THE TOP END. DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU ARE WANTING TO DO. YOU CAN PUTT AROUND ON EITHER ONE OR YOU CAN RACE EITHER ONE

No 2 strokes. You can putt around on the 2 strokes but they don't like it. I have fouled a many a plug putting around too long on them. I used to rebuild 2 strokes A LOT!! I raced a cr125 and then we raced micro sprint (mini-sprints) and they have cr250 motors and we had to rebuild them after every 3 races. I got good at the 2 strokes.

Well, I have heard that the 250f is not as "low maintenance" as your normal 4 stroke. That is why I was asking. I have been doing a lot of reading lately, and that is one of the big turnoffs of the 250 four stroke.

The four stroke would be much easier in a race I would think. I always had to keep my cr125 pegged on the track and the four strokes didn't have to do that.

"I'm telling you, once your car's been stolen, it never runs the same again. It's like a guy sleeping with your girl. He leaves his mark all over her."- Drama (Entourage)

This user has no status.

I am:
      Awesome

Level

BUT YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER, YOU WILL BE RIDING WITH YOUR SON. YOU WONT BE ON A TRACK RACING. BIG DIFFERENCE! ALSO, HONDA'S ARE BULLETPROOF! YOU CANT GO WRONG WITH A HONDA!

This user has no status.

I am:
      Geeky

Level

True. The only racing that I would be doing is if I do the GNCC races. But my buddies are building a track, I think, so we will be doing a lot of track riding.

jamescb77 is offline Elite FG Resident
      Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 1,098
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

the 4 strokes are fine. you will not have any worries with them. MY buddy is a pro racer and he got over 50 hours out of his last rebuild which is a lot of time on a full race bike. Also they aren't that much to rebuild cause from what i understand you pretty much put new bearing and piston in and let it roll.

This user has no status.

I am:
      Geeky

Level

Quote Originally Posted by jamescb77 View Post
      the 4 strokes are fine. you will not have any worries with them. MY buddy is a pro racer and he got over 50 hours out of his last rebuild which is a lot of time on a full race bike. Also they aren't that much to rebuild cause from what i understand you pretty much put new bearing and piston in and let it roll.

The valves are what I read was the expensive part of the rebuild. Setting them up exactly are supposedly the expensive part. But man, I just don't see it. I have had four stroke 4 wheelers in the past and we used to have to lash the valves and it wasn't a big deal. Replacing a piston is replacing a piston, IMO....2 stroke or 4 stroke.

I just to see what you guys had heard or experienced. I didn't think it should be that much of an issue.

This user has no status.

I am:
      Awesome

Level

MAN I REALLY DONT THINK YOU ARE GOING TO BE RIDING HARD ENOUGH TO HURT IT...JUST GET IT AND GO!

motogear is offline FG Newbie
      Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 4
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

If you want my opinion I would pick up a CR250. As much as I would love to have a newer fuel injected 4-stroke, I still love my CR250. I also used to race but no longer do. I still do ride as often as I can. The 2-stroke is super cheap to keep fresh compared to a 4-stroke. While 4-stroke might not need to be rebuilt near as often, it is still super cheap to rebuild a 2-stroke as compared to a 4-stroke. I guess it really all comes down to personal preference. For racing, you just can't compete with a new 4-stroker. For riding I still love the feel of the 2-stroke and the cost of keeping them feeling new!

motogear is offline FG Newbie
      Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 4
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

It really all comes down to personal preference and how much money you want to spend. If you want to buy a new bike then a 2-stroke is out. If you are looking for used then you could pick up a 2-stroke for much cheaper then a 4. As far as trail riding goes, it all depends on how tight the trails are. If you are worried about gearing, sprocket changes are a cheap fix. The best way to make your decision is to try them both out. If you have some friends with bike take a ride on each and see what feels best for you. In the end, the bike you are going to ride the fastest is the bike that you are more comfortable on.

This user has no status.

I am:
      Geeky

Level

I have toyed with the idea of getting a cr250, but I would just really like the 4 stroke. All I had when I was racing were 2 strokes, and while they got the job done, they aren't the same as a 4 stroke. I have ridden the 450f and it just has too much torque for me. I couldn't keep the wheel on the ground while being the least bit aggressive (okay, maybe a good bit aggressive...lol) so I decided that if I got one, it would be a 250.

I'll figure it out when the time comes I guess. It will probably come down to what deal I run up on with either bike. I know the 2 strokes are fairly cheap now. Who knows..HAHA

horsepwr is offline Elite Senior Resident
      Overall activity: 8.0%
      is just chillin

I am:
      Happy

Level

You said you used to race 125cc. The 250 is a whole nother ballgame than the 125. You mentioned how you had to keep your 125 pegged. A 250 doesn't require that full throttle to go. I know exactly what you're saying. I kept the throttle wide open on dirtbikes, from RM-50, YZ 80 & KX 80, KX-125. If it was running, the throttle was wide ass open. It had to be to go. And 'go' they did, but the throttle was kept wide open. The 1st CR 250 was a giant leap forward. You don't have to keep a 250 screamin. They go. and go very fast compared to a 125.
      I've never even rode one of the new 4-strokes, so I don't know 1st hand how fast they are, but I've heard. I could only imagine. But a 250 won't disapoint you.
      I have owned 4-strokes before. Just not a 4-stroke racing dirtbike. I never had to rebiuld a 4-stroke either. I always had to take my 2-strokes apart.
      1 up

Go Gators

bowbow is offline Platinum
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

2 strokes are a thing of the past. Get a 250f, All you'll have to do to that engine is change the oil.
      Assumption is the mother of all fuck ups

This user has no status.

I am:
      Awesome

Level

ILL AGREE WITH BOWBOW...JUST GET THE 250F! KEEP THE OIL CHANGED AND RIDE IT. YOU WONT BE RIDING IT HARD ENOUGH TO HURT IT AT ALL.

This user has no status.

I am:
      Geeky

Level

Well, in looking around, I found this bike on craigslist:

The bike will still crank but not a good idea. The guy I got it from let his foot slip off the foot peg causing him to loose his balance ,hang off the bikeand over revved the motor trying to keep from coming off and probably spun a main. Still has good compression but you can see the piston has touched the spark plug

I know replacing the piston and stuff on a 2 stroke is not that big of a deal, but how much would you guys think it would cost to fix the problem described above? Of course, I would be thinking worst case without knowing what exactly happened. I figure I could get the bike for 400-500 bucks. What do you think?