DETROIT – In many ways, B.J. Penn is in Rich Franklin territory.

Franklin, the UFC's former middleweight champion, ultimately lost his title and a rematch to Anderson Silva, and he bounced between two divisions before settling on the light-heavyweight division.

As with Franklin, Penn – who's coming off a similar set of defeats to lightweight champ Frankie Edgar – knows Saturday's UFC 123 event could be the beginning of some weight-class uncertainty. But he's not complaining.

Penn (15-7-1 MMA, 11-6-1 UFC) moves up a division to conclude a trilogy of fights with fellow UFC legend Matt Hughes (45-7 MMA, 18-5 UFC). The welterweight fight co-headlines UFC 123, a pay-per-view event set for The Palace of Auburn Hills in suburban Detroit.

In many ways, it was perfect timing for both competitors. Outside of spoiling other lightweight contenders' title runs, Penn wouldn't have had many options at 155 pounds. And a third meeting with Edgar, who soundly defeated Penn in their most recent meeting, was quite improbable given the UFC's plethora of contenders (and the upcoming influx of post-merger WEC lightweights).

So when UFC president Dana White called Penn to discuss the Hughes matchup and a move up in weight, he wasted little time in accepting it.

In fact, Penn told MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps | MMAjunkie.com) he considered a return to welterweight nearly a year ago after successful lightweight title defenses over Kenny Florian and Diego Sanchez.

"I actually considered 170 after I fought Diego," Penn said. "I was seriously thinking about 170 pounds, but you never know how life will work out, and here we are today."

At the time, putting the lightweight title picture on hold so Penn again could test the welterweight waters wouldn't have been all that ludicrous. A year prior, he fought welterweight champ Georges St-Pierre at 170 pounds, but his dream of holding two belts fell short with a TKO loss. And initially, fans were indifferent about the Edgar matchup. In fact, many argued that Gray Maynard – who already owned a victory over Edgar – actually was more deserving of the matchup and title shot.

Neither contender was expected to derail Penn, who had reclaimed his top spot among the world's lightweight rankings. But then came Edgar's close title win over Penn in April and more definitive decision win in the August rematch.

After the pair of losses, Penn admitted to MMAjunkie.com he briefly considered retirement. Flying home to Hawaii from UFC 118 in Boston, the 31-year-old spent the cross-country flight pondering a potential end to his career. But before the wheels could touch down, he had convinced himself his best move was to press on – at either weight class.

And then came the call from White and the fight with Hughes. A rubber match he and the UFC but on the backburner all the sudden made perfect sense.

"I kind of did give up hope on this happening," Penn said. "I was actually hoping it'd happen at Aloha Stadium with 40,000 people in Hawaii screaming. I didn't know what I was going to do after my two losses to Frankie. They gave me a call, and I got chicken skin all over my body. I was like, 'This is something. This is something.' And I was already in the gym. I was ecstatic."

Penn won the duo's first meeting in 2004 and took the welterweight belt with the victory. Hughes got his revenge and reclaimed the belt two-and-a-half years later.

And now, with Penn needing a relevant fight and Hughes enjoying a career resurgence with a three-fight win streak, the rubber match sense. Could this be the start to a run in both weight classes?

"Definitely," Penn said. "I'm usually cutting weight to make 170 pounds because I was doing silly things and eating a bunch of junk food. I stand here, and I'm probably at 168 pounds. I'm pumped up.

"I expect to do well on Saturday. I'm up for anything – 170, 155. I'm fine. Let's do it."
The part I highlighted will make a HUGE difference in this fight! Mark my words