• Join Us!
  • New house plan questions???
  • Join Us!
  • You have 1 new Private Message Attention Guest, if you are not a member of Fitness Geared - Body Building & Fitness Community, you have 1 new private message waiting, to view it you must fill out this form.
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Thanks Thanks:  0
    Likes Likes:  0
    Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New house plan questions???

tn94z is offline Platinum
      Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
      Overall activity: 0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Geeky

Level

Default New house plan questions???

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

Well, I have been trying to sell my house for a while now. We have 2 prospects. Both have cash money. One is through my Realtor and is from California. The other is a friend of mine that is about to get a divorce. My friend wants to wait until my contract is up. Both seem promising...especially my friend.

Now onto the question. This has got me thinking about building a house if this one sells. How much would it cost to have an architect draw up some plans instead of picking some out of a book. For instance, in looking through plans, if we find a kitchen from one set, a master bath from one, dining room from one that we like.....can we take that to an architect and get him to draw up some plans using the ideas of the multiple houses that we like?

I have never gone this route. We built our current house ourselves but used plans straight from a book.
      "He woke up because I kept punching him in the face." --Thiago Alves

"I'm telling you, once your car's been stolen, it never runs the same again. It's like a guy sleeping with your girl. He leaves his mark all over her."- Drama (Entourage)

trip is offline Elite FG Resident
      Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 321
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Default Re: New house plan questions???

depends, design build here in dallas, is 15% of total cost, they design, sub out all work and oversee it

5% is about an average cost though for arch design and drawings

u might try your local building inspector for a referaal, there the ones who approve all work, so they will know the good ones

good luck

This user has no status.

I am:
      Geeky

Level

Yeah, I don't want to pay anyone to oversee it. I just want to buy some plans and do the contracting myself

"I'm telling you, once your car's been stolen, it never runs the same again. It's like a guy sleeping with your girl. He leaves his mark all over her."- Drama (Entourage)

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

u would think plans and specs on internet for peanuts, it's getting a local stamp and approval

if u plan well u can save 30-35%, buy materials sub out labor, especialy in this economy

it takes alot of time and patience and oversight, if you line up the right contractors though and are not in a hurry, u should be happy as hell

it really is just like regular shopping, just redid a rent house

had paint quotes of 1800, found a guy who did for 900 at night, no problems

all carpet quotes were within fifty bucks, each carpet guy was great and each complained there suppliers had been raising prices every 3-4 months, and since i know that's true, had to pay going rate

This user has no status.

I am:
      Geeky

Level

Quote Originally Posted by trip View Post
      u would think plans and specs on internet for peanuts, it's getting a local stamp and approval

if u plan well u can save 30-35%, buy materials sub out labor, especialy in this economy

it takes alot of time and patience and oversight, if you line up the right contractors though and are not in a hurry, u should be happy as hell

it really is just like regular shopping, just redid a rent house

had paint quotes of 1800, found a guy who did for 900 at night, no problems

all carpet quotes were within fifty bucks, each carpet guy was great and each complained there suppliers had been raising prices every 3-4 months, and since i know that's true, had to pay going rate
      Yeah, that is what I did with the house we currently have. Everyone told me I was crazy for thinking I could build this size house for less than 200k. I built it for 150k. I did all the calling (I had some contacts with hookups too) myself. We did a lot of the work ourselves (I LOVE doing that type of work) and all the dirt work etc....was done by my dad. It is really amazing how much you can save by shopping around. I plan on doing the same with my new house as well. I am hoping to do even more of the work myself this time but we will have to see how that goes. I wish I could just build it a little at a time and use as much cash as possible, but that is hard to do with a construction loan and paying interest on it.

That brings me to another question. This is all hypothetical of course. If the house does sell, which would be the better route to take, assuming I would have 30-40k to pay down after the house sold:

Opt 1) Put the 30-40k in savings and keep saving for another year while renting a house. This would make us have to finance less, lower mortgage with lower payment, etc...maybe build a nicer house

Opt 2) Go ahead and build a house now using the 30-40k as a down payment and build as much of a house as I want without going over the 20% down payment amount that the 30-40k would give us (30k=150,000 house, 40k=200,000 house)

Opt 3) Look around for a house similar to what we want and buy since it is such a buyer's market now

Of course, I would rather build a house and get it just like I want. Not to mention, I would know everything detail about the house and wouldn't have to depend on someone telling me the absolute truth about everything. But as far as financially speaking, which would make the most sense?

O2BESOHUGE is offline ADMINISTRATOR
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Awesome

Level

I DO THIS ALL THE TIME...ITS EASIER AND CHEAPER FOR YOU TO FIND A PLAN AND WORK WITH THE BUILDER TO MAKE CHANGES TO THE PLAN. AN ARCHITECT CHARGES A PERCENTAGE OF CONSTRUCTION COST TO DRAW IT UP. HERE IN ALABAMA ITS ABOUT 10%, SO A $200,000.00 HOUSE WILL COST YOU ABOUT $20,000.00 FOR AN ARCHITECT TO DRAW IT.

YOU CAN BUY PLANS OUT OF A BOOK FOR LESS THAN $1000
      ..“Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same.”

This user has no status.

I am:
      Geeky

Level

Quote Originally Posted by O2BESOHUGE View Post
      I DO THIS ALL THE TIME...ITS EASIER AND CHEAPER FOR YOU TO FIND A PLAN AND WORK WITH THE BUILDER TO MAKE CHANGES TO THE PLAN. AN ARCHITECT CHARGES A PERCENTAGE OF CONSTRUCTION COST TO DRAW IT UP. HERE IN ALABAMA ITS ABOUT 10%, SO A $200,000.00 HOUSE WILL COST YOU ABOUT $20,000.00 FOR AN ARCHITECT TO DRAW IT.

YOU CAN BUY PLANS OUT OF A BOOK FOR LESS THAN $1000

Wow! I didn't realize it would be that high. That's what we did for our current house. We got the plans out of a book. It sounds like that's what will happen this time too

Thanks

This user has no status.

I am:
      Awesome

Level

BUT REMEMBER...MOST ARCHITECTS DONT FOOL WITH $200,000.00 HOUSES...OUR RESIDENTIAL DEPARTMENT DOESNT HAVE ANY LESS THAN $375,000 AND MOST ARE OVER $600,000 THAT WE DO. WE GET THE OCCASIONAL MILLION DOLAR HOUSE EVERY NOW AND THEN

This user has no status.

I am:
      Awesome

Level

GO THROUGH NEIGHBORHOODS AND SEE THE QUALITY OF WORK THE DIFFERENT BUILDERS DO, ASK FOR REFERENCES, DO YOUR HOMEWORK AND GET THE HOME WORTH THE MONEY YOUR SPENDING

This user has no status.

I am:
      Geeky

Level

What is it that you do?

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

o2 is an arcitetch

fwiw, most folks who ive know whow built dream homes ten years later they are like, shyte, i built too much home, and there is a ton of maintenance or location is not really desirable in the long run for how they live there lives

personally i'm with u, build how you like or love it, yet, be super realistic, you're kids will be gone in ten years etc., a pool is beautiful, but do you realy like too swim and tan, etc.

i like opt 1 or two, spend a yea really planning, and go for fifteen year morthgage, time fcking flies, there is no better feeling finalcly to be free and clear of dept and have someting u love

Michelle Hayden is offline Platinum Vixen
      Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 233
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

It is very easy...and there are many ways to do it. I did research on contractor's in my area and looked at the existing styles/plans they had in their portfolios. I've also talked to local top Real-tor's that know who are the best custom builders in the area ("word of mouth" is best and how they are as being solid financially). Most will figure in the price of the design into the price of the home.., and you can make changes with the builder before you decide to go with a particular one. All depends too on the complexity and size..Best to do a lot of research. I had a contractor come to my home and meet with me for free and show me plans that his company had on different floor plans and styles,and he said there would be no up-charges if i made the changes in advance with them. Of course, anticipate that there will be changes (there always is no matter how much you think ahead during the building phase, so have extra in your budget, or you will have to cut corners.

This user has no status.

I am:
      Geeky

Level

Quote Originally Posted by O2BESOHUGE View Post
      GO THROUGH NEIGHBORHOODS AND SEE THE QUALITY OF WORK THE DIFFERENT BUILDERS DO, ASK FOR REFERENCES, DO YOUR HOMEWORK AND GET THE HOME WORTH THE MONEY YOUR SPENDING
      What is it that you do? Are you a builder? I ask because I am curious to know what is a good estimate on the going cost per sq ft to build a house? I know it varies depending on area and I will research that when the time comes, but what would you say is a good estimate? I have heard that building materials are really high right now, which seems odd.

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle Hayden View Post
      It is very easy...and there are many ways to do it. I did research on contractor's in my area and looked at the existing styles/plans they had in their portfolios. I've also talked to local top Real-tor's that know who are the best custom builders in the area ("word of mouth" is best and how they are as being solid financially). Most will figure in the price of the design into the price of the home.., and you can make changes with the builder before you decide to go with a particular one. All depends too on the complexity and size..Best to do a lot of research. I had a contractor come to my home and meet with me for free and show me plans that his company had on different floor plans and styles,and he said there would be no up-charges if i made the changes in advance with them. Of course, anticipate that there will be changes (there always is no matter how much you think ahead during the building phase, so have extra in your budget, or you will have to cut corners.
      I don't want to pay for a contractor though. I will do that myself. I was just curious about plans in particular. I will hire a framer to follow the plans. Paying a contractor is just a waste of money (in my opinion based off of my situation with contacts). I just don't have any architectural contacts

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

a good average per square foot is too go too home developements, whatever ther price is figure 65-70%, a home builder shoots too make 35% but they always have carrying costs built in, plus advertising etc. and anticipate a certain turnover ratio

that's a starting point

This user has no status.

I am:
      Geeky

Level

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

Thanks. I guess the only way for me to figure it up would be to get a quote on everything that has to be done to the house per foot and then total that, correct?

I figured my house up last night and it came out to 48.48 per foot which evidently was really cheap. I talked with one of my friend's yesterday and he said that the last house they built (about a year ago) was 68 per foot but he said they added some extra expense on higher priced things.

Would I be in a good ball park to think I could build a house for 60.00 per foot? I have been thinking about all of the things I could do myself to save money.

All dirt work (leveling the land, footing, clearing, etc....would be done by my dad and I)
      septic work would be done by my dad and I
      electrical (my uncle does this but I was thinking about doing it myself...shouldn't be too difficult as long as I make sure to follow code, right?)
      I toyed with the idea of hanging the dry wall myself (how hard is this other than physically tough?)
      painting and trim work I would do myself
      any tile flooring I would do myself (maybe even hardwood)

Basically anything that I can do myself, I will try and do because of the savings. My dad used to build houses and that's how I can do so much myself.

What are your thoughts? 60 per foot good estimate, too low, no way in hell???? LOL