• Join Us!
  • Armed Forces
  • Armed Forces
  • Armed Forces
  • Armed Forces
  • Armed Forces
  • Armed Forces
  • Join Us!
  • You have 1 new Private Message Attention Guest, if you are not a member of Fitness Geared - Body Building & Fitness Community, you have 1 new private message waiting, to view it you must fill out this form.
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Thanks Thanks:  0
    Likes Likes:  0
    Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Armed Forces

winnie is offline Established Member
      Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 50
      Overall activity: 0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Default Armed Forces

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!
      • Armed Forces
      • Armed Forces

• Armed Forces
      • Armed Forces
      • Armed Forces
      • Armed Forces
      • Armed Forces
      • Armed Forces
      I am looking for info from people who served in the armed forces. Some info I am looking for would be the OCC and OCS that the marines offer. If anyone has gone through these or know people that have gone to them please PM me.

Also, it doesn't have to be the marines, any armed forces and special schools they have to offer for college grads.

Thanks & Happy Holidays

Help keep this bumped for awhile guys...thanks again.

HAUS469
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

i dont know about the marines........

but i was in the army,not an officer though.
      i dont remember how long OCS is,but not very long.

you needed 2 years of college if you where already enlisted,wityh your degree i dont know..........you should have though about ROTC,and you could have went strait in as an 2nd Lt.

from what i know in the army,they will assign you where they need you..........infantry,signal,cooks,secretary's whatever........so you may be in a gravy slot,or beating feet in field with the grunts.

you will have a better oppurtunity for schools(airborne,air assaut,EIB,ranger,pathfinder.....etc) than any one else, going through OCS and as a officer........

TRUST ME.........do as much as you can,if you get assigned to a field unit,especially infantry or an airborne unit and you are not wearing jump wings,at a MINIMUM........you will not get your mens respect,you are just a school boy.......you will catch shit for being a Lt. anyhow,but thses help A LOT.

get the ranger tab,it will be all good.........

i will admit that the marines officers are usually pretty squared away,there are not many of them.

REMEMBER THIS...............an learn it!!!!!

officers do not run the military,the NCO's do.

the sooner you accept that and trust and ask your nco's for their help and experince the easier your carreeer will go....

dont get salute happy and a big head.
      hope it helped a little.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Yeah bro it does...Thank you.

From what I've read, in the marines you can enter a 21 week OCS where if you graduate 90% of them have there choice of assignment. To enter this you need to have graduate from a 4 year university. I dunno how much of that is true, that is why I am asking questions first. I am thinking of talking to some recruites about it. After completing the OCS you're considered a 2nd Lt. I know the guys who have fought before in wars must look at you and not respect me because I haven't been in the trenches, so this is why i ask.

You say its smater to go through the Rangers Training, instead of OCS or OCC?

Thanks bro, and anyone elses wisdom is welcome.
      More...More...More...Give me MORE!!!

IntenseMuscle

HAUS469
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

no bro.......i meant that by being an officer and attending OCS ,that you have a LOT MORE oppurtunaties for schools such as ranger,airborne.....etc.

get all the specialty tabs and badges you can,it helps in your career and repect from your men.

some officers in the army go to OCS and go strait into everything else,airborne school,ranger school....etc.

then they have some of it before they even reach their first assignment........

almost all of your schools are taught by the Army,no matter what branch you are in.....you will attend airborne school at ft. benning,ga..........that is just an example.

marines prolly do get a choice or "wishlist" for assignment........like i said,they are few and far between,thats prolly why.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Originally posted by HAUS469

marines prolly do get a choice or "wishlist" for assignment........like i said,they are few and far between,thats prolly why.
      So wouldn't the majority rather have a choice then no choice at all? I don't understand why more people wouldn't want to join this branch over others, seeing the get a "wishlist." Please elaborate. The only thing I can think of is being in the marines, it is thought of as being the first in, that is the only reason why i can think of there being few and far between.

Warrior is offline Rookie Member
      Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 108
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

US Marines - 5 Years full of craziness
      The Marines is a family that you will appreciate becuse the intitiation and lifestyle is what you can expect out of a military unit. The rest of the branches are getting too soft. If you don't go for the Marines - you'll wish you did when you get out into the fleet... that is if you pass... The Marine's aren't looking for numbers, they hit their recruiting goals... they are looking for quality.

You want to be an officer? What is your degree in?

"Be patient and tough; some day this pain will be useful to you."

HAUS469
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

well, i would say that the officers are "few and far between"

mainly because of the size of the marines ,compared to the other branches.........a lot smaller,so less offficers.....so the officer slots are more competitive....therefore only the best will be the leaders.

as far as always being the "first in,last to go"........

you would have to check the history books on that one.....lol.

often,they are........dont get me wrong,the marines are a valuble part of our military.....and an great fighting machine and have played major roles in every conflict and then some........

but i come from Ft. Bragg and the 82nd Airborne.....their history and reputation speaks for itself,thats where my roots come from and will stay.........to me,their is no better fighting machine,with exception given to 75th rangers and s.f.....many of which come from the 82nd and vice versa.

whatever branch you pick,good luck..........serve our country proud........anyone who has served/or will serve has my utmost respect.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Originally posted by winnie
      So wouldn't the majority rather have a choice then no choice at all? I don't understand why more people wouldn't want to join this branch over others, seeing the get a "wishlist." Please elaborate.
      Marines are the last to give you a handful of candy to join... they don't need to. If you don't try for it - someone else will. Also - why should they have to bribe you, it's the frickin' military and they get you used to picking up and moving where they need you. I got orders for 6 months half way around the world 2 weeks before I had to fly.

But there are wish lists. It depends on the unit and your occ school. And if you do well in your military school and the NCO's or Officer want to reward you for it. I have recommended orders for a new Marine to get the duty station he wanted because he was doing so well. If you do well in the Marines, you will get takin' care of. If you reflect poorly on your unit and be a jackass - you will be takin' care of too... just in another fashion

HAUS469
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Originally posted by Warrior
      If you reflect poorly on your unit and be a jackass - you will be takin' care of too... just in another fashion
      LOL.........i think that goes for any high speed unit,at least the corp and army have one thing in common.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

US Marines
      You want to be an officer? What is your degree in?
      Yes, If I decide to got this direction I do want to be an officer.

My Bacholer's degree is in Instructional Technology and Telecommunications. With minors in Socialogy and Law Enforcement and Justice Administration.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Marines are the last to give you a handful of candy to join... they don't need to. If you don't try for it - someone else will. Also - why should they have to bribe you, it's the frickin' military and they get you used to picking up and moving where they need you.
      I wouldn't expect them to bribe anyone, and as far as candy goes, that should be left for Halloween....

Through my readings this is a quote from marines.com, "Approximatley 90 percent of newly commisioned Marine Corps officer are assigned to an occupational field of their choice." I would take it that the other 10 percent are the ones that aren't considered Leaders and bottom of the class....right?

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Originally posted by winnie
      Yes, If I decide to got this direction I do want to be an officer.

My Bacholer's degree is in Instructional Technology and Telecommunications. With minors in Socialogy and Law Enforcement and Justice Administration.
      The Corps needs good officers and looks like you got some smarts.

I would say some jobs you might enjoy would be, Provost Marshall (MP), Staff Judge Advocate, Criminal Investigations Division, Systems Integration Hub (IT, more 9 to 5 type work)... ummm... Inteligence is a big one right now too... lots of reenlistment bonuses going out for that...

Braddah, you take that Bachelors and a US Marine Corps Officer tour and you will be very competitive. If you just want to travel and learn some sound leadership skills and get out - you can be making contacts and sending out resumes while you are in, and getting paid.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

This is something I am really considering, thanks a lot guys!!!
      More...More...More...Give me MORE!!!

IntenseMuscle

HAUS469
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

The Corps needs good officers and looks like you got some smarts.

I would say some jobs you might enjoy would be, Provost Marshall (MP), Staff Judge Advocate, Criminal Investigations Division, Systems Integration Hub (IT, more 9 to 5 type work)... ummm... Inteligence is a big one right now too... lots of reenlistment bonuses going out for that...

Braddah, you take that Bachelors and a US Marine Corps Officer tour and you will be very competitive. If you just want to travel and learn some sound leadership skills and get out - you can be making contacts and sending out resumes while you are in, and getting paid.
      great info warrior.................take this advice winnie,even if you pick another branch.....still do this.

Skarn is offline Established Resident
      Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 210
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!
      • Armed Forces
      • Armed Forces

• Armed Forces
      • Armed Forces
      • Armed Forces
      • Armed Forces
      • Armed Forces
      • Armed Forces
      I was in the Army Special Forces. Haus said it right, go to as many specialty schools as you can. It's extra money also, jump pay (hazardous duty), etc. always helps.

As for choices, the Army actually gives you fairly good choices compared to the Marines if you score high. That was one of the reasons I joined the Army over the Marines right out of high school. I could pick any specialty I wanted in the Army, but the Marines would just place me where they needed. I was guarantee'd Airborne and that's what I chose. I have no regrets. Once Airborne, you will get put in an airborne unit and if lucky SOCOM (Special Operations Command). Being in a SOCOM unit is a completely different world from the regular Army.

My last recommendation is to choose a skill you will like and be able to use in the outside world. You might not want to get out, but at least you'd have options. I chose Communications and have a very well paying job now that I love because of it.

To sum it up (IMO): Choose a marketable skill, go special ops (airborne, ranger, special forces, scuba, etc.), get into a high-speed unit, travel the world, and enjoy life!

Good luck bro!
      It's better to burn out, than to fade away...