• Join Us!
  • Pharmacist gets 4 years in prison for steroid case..Carwin named
  • Join Us!
  • You have 1 new Private Message Attention Guest, if you are not a member of Fitness Geared - Body Building & Fitness Community, you have 1 new private message waiting, to view it you must fill out this form.
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Thanks Thanks:  0
    Likes Likes:  0
    Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Pharmacist gets 4 years in prison for steroid case..Carwin named

tn94z is offline Platinum
      Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
      Overall activity: 0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Geeky

Level

Default Pharmacist gets 4 years in prison for steroid case..Carwin named

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

Steroids case pharmacist gets 4 years in prison in Mobile case with ties to pro sports, wrestling

MOBILE, Ala. -- A federal judge today handed down a 4-year prison term to a local pharmacist convicted of participating in a nationwide conspiracy to illegally sell anabolic steroids made in Mobile.

J. Michael Bennett, who was supervising pharmacist at Applied Pharmacy Services, was the first to be sentenced from a group of 5 men found guilty after a five-week trial earlier this year. His punishment was less than half of the 7 years and 4 months sought by prosecutors.

View full size
      J. Michael Bennett ... gets four years in steroids case.
      "I stand before you a different man than the one who worked for APS in 2005, even than the one who stood before the magistrate (judge) in 2007," a chastened Bennett told U.S. District Judge Ginny Granade. "I had no idea what I was doing was inappropriate."

Bennett's co-defendants, the owners of the pharmacy and an anti-aging clinic owner, are scheduled to be sentenced at a later date, and Granade suggested they face stiffer punishment.

"I don't think in the overall scheme of things, (Bennett's) culpability matches that of the pharmacy owners," the judge said.

Prosecutors referred to Bennett, 44, and the others in a sentencing memorandum as a "drug dealers in lab coats." They contended that Bennett played a key role in an enterprise involving rogue doctors and health clinics across the country who used the compounding pharmacy to supply healthy adults with dangerous steroids.

Some of those substances were veterinary drugs approved only for use in livestock.

"These are steroids for horses and cows, not for young people and humans," Assistant U.S. Attorney Donna Dobbins said.

According to court records, Applied Pharmacy Services shipped 762,388 dosages to 17 doctors and clinics from April 4, 2004, until Aug. 30, 2006. The U.S. Attorney's Office in Mobile contends that does not include many other doctors and clinics that they say participated in the conspiracy.

Those performance-enhancing drugs ended up in the hands of users ranging from professional athletes to teenagers looking to build body mass. Prosecutors cited 22 professional athletes who obtained steroids from Applied Pharmacy Services during the time Bennett worked there.
      Snapshots of the 5 defendants convicted of steroids charges Feb. 8, 2009:

A. Samuel Kelley II of Mobile. The president and CEO of the now-defunct Applied Pharmacy Services, he was convicted of 130 counts, including drug conspiracy, drug distribution, distribution to a person younger than 21 and money laundering.

Jason R. Kelley of Mobile. The secretary and part owner of Applied Pharmacy, he was convicted of 127 counts, including drug conspiracy, drug distribution, distribution to a person younger than 21 and money laundering.

Jodi C. Silvio of Baton Rouge, La. The treasurer of Applied Pharmacy and a fill-in pharmacist there, he was convicted of 60 counts, including drug conspiracy, drug distribution and money laundering.

J. Michael Bennett of Mobile. The supervising pharmacist at Applied, he was convicted of five counts, including drug conspiracy, drug distribution and distribution to a person younger than 21.

Brett W. Branch of Eaton, Colo. The owner of Infinite Health, he was convicted of 46 counts, including drug conspiracy, drug distribution, distribution to a person younger than 21 and money laundering conspiracy.

In court today, Dobbins named seven whose orders included Bennett's signature or initials:

Shane Carwin, a former NCAA Division II wrestling champion who went on to become an Ultimate Fighting heavyweight champion.

Kurt Angle, a former Olympic gold medal-winning wrestler and professional wrestler.

Bob Howard, a pro wrestler from Mobile who performed under the name "Hardcore" Bob Holly.

Tony Freeman, a professional bodybuilder nicknamed "The X-Man."

Quincy Taylor, a professional bodybuilder.

Dennis Newman, a professional bodybuilder.

Troy Zuccolotto, a professional bodybuilder.

Court documents reference 6 other professional bodybuilders, 7 professional wrestlers and 2 professional baseball players by their initials only.

Dobbins pointed to intercepted phone conversations showing Bennett taking an active role in the operation, speaking with co-defendant Brett W. Branch, who brokered many of the steroids sales.

"As the supervising pharmacist, he was the one in charge," she said. "We expect and rely on the pharmacist to make sure what we are given is save, effective and legal."

Dobbins pointed to testimony from about a half-dozen people who described side effects ranging from an intense burning feeling on their flesh to shrinkage of their testicles to depression to quarter-sized acne on their backs.

Dobbins said users "suffered severe -- in some cases permanent -- side effects."
      Here it comes. Carwin was named. There was another fighter that came forward in this case and said that if he goes down, he is taking everyone he knows on them down with him! I can't find that article though
      "He woke up because I kept punching him in the face." --Thiago Alves

"I'm telling you, once your car's been stolen, it never runs the same again. It's like a guy sleeping with your girl. He leaves his mark all over her."- Drama (Entourage)

Strella is offline Senior Resident
      Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 206
      Overall activity: 0.3%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Default Re: Pharmacist gets 4 years in prison for steroid case..Carwin named

I mean is it any surprise that these dudes juice? nearly all pro wrestlers do and i would imagine that the majority of MMA guys have at least at some point taken something illegal. That guy who says he is taking everyone down with him is a punk though. When you do something illegal you know that there could be consequences later down the road, be a man and face your own punishment.

tn94z is offline Platinum
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Geeky

Level

Quote Originally Posted by Strella View Post
      I mean is it any surprise that these dudes juice? nearly all pro wrestlers do and i would imagine that the majority of MMA guys have at least at some point taken something illegal. That guy who says he is taking everyone down with him is a punk though. When you do something illegal you know that there could be consequences later down the road, be a man and face your own punishment.
      Not really. I think most would just like to think that the sport is more pure than that and that the use doesn't exist. I agree, he is a punk. Look at what happened to Canseco....why would you want to be a part of that?
      "He woke up because I kept punching him in the face." --Thiago Alves

"I'm telling you, once your car's been stolen, it never runs the same again. It's like a guy sleeping with your girl. He leaves his mark all over her."- Drama (Entourage)

FUZO is offline FUZO
      Awards:
      Posting Award
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Cool

Level
      Blog Entries

yeah but conseco was right even though he was a ass for doing what he did. i've been saying this that MMA guys are on you can tell. And when it comes down to testing that can be fooled.This doesnt look good for shane
      Disclaimer: Steroid use is illegal in a vast number of countries around the world. This is not without reason. Steroids should only be used when prescribed by your doctor and under close supervision. Steroid use is not to be taken lightly and we do not in any way endorse or approve of illegal drug use. The information is provided on the same basis as all the other information on this site, as informational/entertainment value.

Please take the time to read these threads!

Fitness Geared Shoutbox rules

FG member signature rules

Fitness Geared Forum Rules

https://www.fitnessgeared.com/forum/f334/

https://www.fitnessgeared.com/forum/f283/

https://www.tgbsupplements.com/

Strella is offline Senior Resident
      Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 206
      Overall activity: 0.3%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

WWE guys are doing it for show, bt i feel like a lot of the MMA guys need stuff just to help recover and train as hard as they do.

O2BESOHUGE is offline ADMINISTRATOR
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Awesome

Level

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

I BET THERES MORE FOLKS DOING IT THAN YOU THINK...ITS ALL ABOUT TIMING WHAT YOU TAKE
      ..“Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same.”