• Join Us!
  • Randy:"I don't think boxers get MMA"
  • Join Us!
  • You have 1 new Private Message Attention Guest, if you are not a member of Fitness Geared - Body Building & Fitness Community, you have 1 new private message waiting, to view it you must fill out this form.
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Thanks Thanks:  0
    Likes Likes:  0
    Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Randy:"I don't think boxers get MMA"

tn94z is offline Platinum
      Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
      Overall activity: 0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Geeky

Level

Default Randy:"I don't think boxers get MMA"

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

RANDY COUTURE: I DON'T THINK BOXERS GET MMA

Sunday, August 15, 2010 - by Damon Martin - MMAWeekly.com

Mixed martial arts vs. boxing.

It's a longstanding debate among combat sports fans and journalists, and while there have been MMA fighters that have done pro boxing, and pro boxers that have done MMA, the biggest crossover fight the two sports has ever seen is about to take place on Aug. 28 in Boston.

UFC Hall of Famer Randy Couture had no problem being the first person to step up to the plate when he heard that boxing champion James Toney signed with the UFC. In fact, he volunteered and wanted to be the one to welcome him to the Octagon.

"We've heard (Floyd Mayweather Jr.) and others run their mouths about it, and he's the first one that's actually had the courage to step up and fight, and stand behind what he's talking," Couture told MMAWeekly Radio.

"He's a tremendous boxer. I've watched him compete. He's a four-time world champion. He's an amazing striker. The question is how much of the other stuff is he going to be able to pick up and learn by the time he has to step into that cage.

"To finally get a world champion boxer to sign on the dotted line and step up is a huge fight. It's going to bring a lot of eyes from the boxing world to see how this fight comes out and unfolds. That's a fun fight, that's a cool place to be in."

Couture has spent the past 13 years evolving his game beyond his wrestling roots, and no one is sure that Toney, while a world class boxer, can pick up what he needs in order to compete in MMA in just a few short months.

The former UFC heavyweight and light heavyweight champion is also a very smart and calculating fighter, and he knows that to stand and trade with a fighter like Toney would be a fool's errand.

"I think anybody who faces him would be silly to stand around in front of him and play that game," Couture commented. "There's so many other tools that come into play in mixed martial arts, and hopefully he'll have learned some of them and we'll have a great fight.

"I don't have any illusions that I'm on the level of James Toney when it comes to striking. I'm going to rely as I have in most of my fights on my wrestling background. On the things that I've spent 30-plus years developing."

In this new age of mixed martial arts, very few fighters are as deliberate as to divulge their game plan before a fight, but Couture and Toney aren't hiding much of anything.

"I'm going to go out, try to set him up, use some striking effectively to set him up, run him into the fence if possible, tie him up, smother him, and put him on his butt. It's a lot harder for him to be an effective boxer from his butt," Couture said.

"He doesn't have to box again forever, that muscle memory's there. I rarely go in and just wrestle anymore. I'm spending all my time on the striking and the submission stuff. He's on the other side of that."

As an avid fan of all combat sports, Couture says that there is a certain mentality among boxers and boxing supporters that just doesn't allow them to understand MMA. Whatever the reason for that is, Couture is happy to show them how MMA works on Aug. 28.

"I don't think boxers get it. I don't think people from the boxing world understand all the dimensions of our sport, and how the clinch work and the wrestling, and all the other stuff changes your ability to strike," said Couture. "It's not a pure form of striking like boxing, so you have to adapt and find those situations where you can still be an effective striker, but there's a lot of other things to think about. There's a lot of questions to be answered in a fight like this."

Couture will look to answer all of those questions at UFC 118 when he faces James Toney in the co-main event of the promotion's first ever trip to Boston.
      You have to give Toney credit, he is the only one that has stepped up and backed his mouth up.
      "He woke up because I kept punching him in the face." --Thiago Alves

"I'm telling you, once your car's been stolen, it never runs the same again. It's like a guy sleeping with your girl. He leaves his mark all over her."- Drama (Entourage)

Strella is offline Senior Resident
      Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 206
      Overall activity: 0.3%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Default Re: Randy:"I don't think boxers get MMA"

i think this may actually be kind of boring. i could see Randy submitting him in the first

This user has no status.

I am:
      Geeky

Level

Quote Originally Posted by Strella View Post
      i think this may actually be kind of boring. i could see Randy submitting him in the first
      I agree. Unless Toney can somehow manage to keep it standing (VERY doubtful) then Randy will make an example out of him.

"I'm telling you, once your car's been stolen, it never runs the same again. It's like a guy sleeping with your girl. He leaves his mark all over her."- Drama (Entourage)

jipped genes is offline VET
      Overall activity: 49.0%
      Achievements:
      First 1000 Experience PointsGot three Friends
      is El Burro!

I am:
      ----

Level

toney has power and timing. i bet randy will just immediately shoot and then it willbe over
      "SHIAT BIOTCH, thats a big ass!"

A clear concience is a sign of a bad memory.

husband of the year

moose riding maple syrup drinking flanel wearing canuck wannabe

FUZO is offline FUZO
      Awards:
      Posting Award
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Cool

Level
      Blog Entries

Randys best bet is to take down toney who is over weight and has no wrestling skills but if toney connects say good night randy. But this probably will be boring unless it actualy goes 3 rounds. If it does go 3 rounds or even 2 doesnt look good for randy
      Disclaimer: Steroid use is illegal in a vast number of countries around the world. This is not without reason. Steroids should only be used when prescribed by your doctor and under close supervision. Steroid use is not to be taken lightly and we do not in any way endorse or approve of illegal drug use. The information is provided on the same basis as all the other information on this site, as informational/entertainment value.

Please take the time to read these threads!

Fitness Geared Shoutbox rules

FG member signature rules

Fitness Geared Forum Rules

https://www.fitnessgeared.com/forum/f334/

https://www.fitnessgeared.com/forum/f283/

https://www.tgbsupplements.com/

This user has no status.

I am:
      Geeky

Level

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

Quote Originally Posted by jipped genes View Post
      toney has power and timing. i bet randy will just immediately shoot and then it willbe over

That's my bet. And you know that Toney's camp knows this as well. They should train timing, timing, timing on an upper cut when Randy shoots. They know it's coming, so they have nothing to lose.