At Wednesday's open workout session in advance of this weekend's UFC 116 event in Las Vegas, UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar announced to a small group of reporters that he would be fighting southpaw in his bout with Shane Carwin.

On Thursday, he admitted he might have let the cat out of the bag a little early on that surprise.

"I probably messed up and spoke too soon on that," Lesnar told MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps | MMAjunkie.com) with a laugh.

Lesnar has traditionally fought in an orthodox stance, though on Wednesday he said the change was as beneficial to his wrestling as it was his striking. Lesnar's pedigree as a collegiate national champion is well-documented, though his striking has been rudimentary thus far in his UFC career.

Lesnar declined to comment further on any difficulties the learning process may have caused him.

"I'm going to get in there and fight," Lesnar said.

As for Carwin, how does the early reveal of a potential surprise affect preparation? Does the interim champ now try to adjust his plan in the final days before the event? Or should he be cautious in case Lesnar is simply trying to lay out a little psychological warfare?

Carwin said he's unconcerned and will simply stick to his guns.

"Everybody can go switch stances, I feel like, in mixed martial arts," Carwin said. "I train with guys that do that all the time.

"Wrestlers predominantly like to come out southpaw because that's how they used to wrestle. It would not be a surprise, and we're prepared for it."

Lesnar is currently a -145 favorite in most Las Vegas sports books. The heavyweight champion opened as a -225 favorite for Saturday's fight, but much of the late action has centered on Carwin.

When asked about the shift in odds, Lesnar said he really didn't care. Nevertheless, in his newly crafted jovial way, Lesnar said he could pinpoint the moment public sentiment likely began to change.

"Probably since I announced I would move to southpaw."
Well, I think it's obvious what Brock's plan is now. He is taking it to the ground. A well timed upper cut from Carwin may end this one early. Or Brock may get Carwin down and pound him out. This one is kind of up in the air for me....I'll stick with my original prediction though