LAS VEGAS – Nine-time UFC welterweight champion Matt Hughes today was named the eighth and latest UFC Hall of Fame inductee.

After a brief presentation on his achievements, 36-year-old Hughes met UFC president Dana White on UFC Fan Expo 2010's main stage at the Mandalay Bay Convetion Center to receive the commemorative award. He thanked fans for their support.

"To be honest, it's you guys that pay that admission that write my check, so I've got to take my hat off to you guys," Hughes (44-7 MMA, 17-5 UFC) said.

The former welterweight champion said if he could, he would cut up the glass plaque into several pieces to further thank those who have helped him over the years.

White said Hughes could have taken offers to fight in other promotions but chose to stay in the UFC.

"He's acting very humble here; he's been a great partner and been one of the people who have helped build this sport and the UFC to what it is today," White added.

Hughes, who has fought 22 times inside the octagon, said he will finish his career with the UFC.

In his most recent performance, Hughes defeated the second Gracie of his career, Renzo, at UFC 112 in April. (He decisively beat fellow UFC Hall of Famer Royce Gracie at UFC 60). It was his second consecutive octagon win after he dispatched rival and Renzo Gracie pupil Matt Serra at UFC 98 in May 2009.

Hughes' first UFC appearance came at UFC 22 under the promotion's previous owners, Sephamore Entertainment Group. He defeated Valeri Ignatov by unanimous decision.

Hughes presided over the longest welterweight title run in the promotion's history with five consecutive defenses from UFC 34 to UFC 45. Although he lost his belt to B.J. Penn at UFC 46, he regained it with a submission victory over Georges St-Pierre at UFC 50 and defended it twice before St-Pierre avenged his loss at UFC 65.

Hughes next meets yet another Gracie protege when he takes on Ricardo Almeida at UFC 117 on Aug. 7 in Oakland, Calif.

Hughes joins a UFC Hall of Fame roster that currently includes Royce Gracie, Ken Shamrock, Dan Severn, Randy Couture, Mark Coleman, Chuck Liddell and Charles "Mask" Lewis Jr.
I think he deserved this. In his prime, he had one hell of a streak.