• Join Us!
  • BJ considering the move to WW after UFC 112
  • Join Us!
  • You have 1 new Private Message Attention Guest, if you are not a member of Fitness Geared - Body Building & Fitness Community, you have 1 new private message waiting, to view it you must fill out this form.
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Thanks Thanks:  0
    Likes Likes:  0
    Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: BJ considering the move to WW after UFC 112

tn94z is offline Platinum
      Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
      Overall activity: 0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Geeky

Level

Default BJ considering the move to WW after UFC 112

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

Each time B.J. Penn prepares to defend his Ultimate Fighting Championship lightweight belt, the question arises: with a win, will he return to the welterweight division where he once held the title?

Penn takes on Frankie Edgar in the co-main event of UFC 112 in Abu Dhabi on April 10, and if the Hawaiian comes away with the win, a move to the 170-pound division is something he’s considering.

“If everything goes well on April 10, I definitely would consider moving up to 170. Not that I’m – not that it’s 100-percent guaranteed,” Penn said recently.

“If I do make that move I’m going to move slow. I’m not going to try to rush anything,” he added. “Maybe I would think about it more as testing the waters. I’d talk to Dana and see if he would want me to vacate the belt, but maybe try do something like Anderson (Silva) is doing, test the waters, see how everything is going and see how everything plays out.”

Penn is the only one who knows whether or not he’s already made up his mind to vacate the lightweight division after UFC 112, but his statements seem to foreshadow a move up in weight class.

“I try to just be true to myself and what my own personal goals are. And if I feel in my life that I want to try to take a fight at 170 pounds, I’ve got to stay true to myself and to my motivation,” commented Penn.

“I think a fighter has to stay true to himself and what his goals and accomplishments are, what really motivates him,” added the 31-year-old athlete. “I’ve been the welterweight champion once and in a lot of ways I really wouldn’t mind being the welterweight champion again. And I think it’s just a fun thing to do.”

Penn defeated Matt Hughes at UFC 46, snapping Hughes’ 13-fight win streak to capture the welterweight title. He briefly left the UFC to compete internationally in several different weight classes including heavyweight. He’s 1-3 as a welterweight, losing twice to current titleholder Georges St-Pierre, and losing a rematch to Hughes. He does hold dominating wins over former welterweight contenders Sean Sherk and Diego Sanchez, but in lightweight fights.

Twice Penn has gotten immediate title shots in the welterweight division, at UFC 46 against Hughes and at UFC 94 versus St-Pierre. If he makes the transition following UFC 112, he knows it won’t be for the title bout.

“I had my chance to go straight for the championship and things didn’t work out my way. Of course, anybody would like a free shot for the title. But like I said, I want to take my time. I want to test the waters,” said the lightweight champion. “And it’s exactly what Anderson said, we just want to put on some other great fights.

“There’s some top contenders in the welterweight division, of course there is a champion, and there’s other people. There’s Matt Hughes. There’s a bunch of different fights out there,” added Penn. “That’s what this whole thing is about is about, putting on the biggest and the greatest fights in history.
      It sounds like he has his mind right about the move this time. He isn't trying to jump right into a title shot.
      "He woke up because I kept punching him in the face." --Thiago Alves

"I'm telling you, once your car's been stolen, it never runs the same again. It's like a guy sleeping with your girl. He leaves his mark all over her."- Drama (Entourage)

brody13
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Default Re: BJ considering the move to WW after UFC 112

Cool, good idea. hes gotta get past edgar first tho.

2-Swole
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

He's gunna crush Edgar IMO..but hope he knows what he is doing jumping up. Sounds like he has a good plan this time

This user has no status.

I am:
      Geeky

Level

I think that BJ knows that he can beat most WWs right now. The only bad part is that he will always be a small WW. I am excited to see him move up. There really is nothing left for him at LW. He "should" walk through Edgar, but I have seen stranger things happen.

"I'm telling you, once your car's been stolen, it never runs the same again. It's like a guy sleeping with your girl. He leaves his mark all over her."- Drama (Entourage)

brody13
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Edgars good, im not counting him out yet, but I think BJ should win pretty easily.

This user has no status.

I am:
      Geeky

Level

Yeah, Edgar has improved a TON. But there is really no area where he is better. BJ is bigger, stronger, better standup, and better ground game. Edgar has good wrestling but it will be against the best take down defense in the game. Edgar doesn't have the power to KO BJ. I don't know. I see BJ ending this one rather quickly. He doesn't have anything against Edgar so he will feel no need to put a beating on him like the last few guys that have talked trash.

I really like Edgar too, so don't think I am trashing him. He is a really good guy.

FUZO is offline FUZO
      Awards:
      Posting Award
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Cool

Level
      Blog Entries

FRANKIE IS GOOD AND SOME OF THE OTHERS AT 155 BUT ITS TIME FOR BJ TO TEST THE WATERS WITH THE NEW BJ PENN NOW, HE IS WAY BETTER AT ANYONE AT 155 AND LET SOMEONE ELSE TRY FOR THE BELT.I CAN TELL YA IF FLORIAN THINKS HE'S GONNA GET IT I DONT KNOW IF HE WILL GET PASSED DIEGO THOUGH. EVEN THOUGH DIEGO GOT CRUSHED BY BJ I THINK DIEGO CAN BEAT KENNY.
      Disclaimer: Steroid use is illegal in a vast number of countries around the world. This is not without reason. Steroids should only be used when prescribed by your doctor and under close supervision. Steroid use is not to be taken lightly and we do not in any way endorse or approve of illegal drug use. The information is provided on the same basis as all the other information on this site, as informational/entertainment value.

Please take the time to read these threads!

Fitness Geared Shoutbox rules

FG member signature rules

Fitness Geared Forum Rules

https://www.fitnessgeared.com/forum/f334/

https://www.fitnessgeared.com/forum/f283/

https://www.tgbsupplements.com/

This user has no status.

I am:
      Geeky

Level

Quote Originally Posted by FUZO View Post
      FRANKIE IS GOOD AND SOME OF THE OTHERS AT 155 BUT ITS TIME FOR BJ TO TEST THE WATERS WITH THE NEW BJ PENN NOW, HE IS WAY BETTER AT ANYONE AT 155 AND LET SOMEONE ELSE TRY FOR THE BELT.I CAN TELL YA IF FLORIAN THINKS HE'S GONNA GET IT I DONT KNOW IF HE WILL GET PASSED DIEGO THOUGH. EVEN THOUGH DIEGO GOT CRUSHED BY BJ I THINK DIEGO CAN BEAT KENNY.
      And Florian has still never beaten Sherk. How is he getting around this fight still?

This user has no status.

I am:
      Geeky

Level

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

Now that I think about it.....where is Sherk???