• Join Us!
  • Refinished AKM
  • Refinished AKM
  • Refinished AKM
  • Refinished AKM
  • Refinished AKM
  • Refinished AKM
  • Join Us!
  • You have 1 new Private Message Attention Guest, if you are not a member of Fitness Geared - Body Building & Fitness Community, you have 1 new private message waiting, to view it you must fill out this form.
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Thanks Thanks:  0
    Likes Likes:  0
    Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Refinished AKM

horsepwr is offline Elite Senior Resident
      Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
      Overall activity: 8.0%
      is just chillin

I am:
      Happy

Level

Default Refinished AKM

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!
      • Refinished AKM
      • Refinished AKM

• Refinished AKM
      • Refinished AKM
      • Refinished AKM
      • Refinished AKM
      • Refinished AKM
      • Refinished AKM
      Refinished AKM
      I finally got my project in gear. I've had the stuff to do this project for a good month or so. It's just that (time) thing.
      As some of you may know, the new WASR-10 (Romanian AKs) don't have the best finish on the wood. If you can even call that a finish that's put on them from the manufacturer. It sucks. Plain and simple. Looks like shit. So, I purchased the stain of my choice, Special Walnut. It's a lighter Walnut. I wanted to maintain the most authentic look, but come down from that light, natural wood look to a nice stain to set off the wood grain and add a more quality appearance. Then, instead of a 'laminate' as AK manufacturers from sea-to-sea have referred to a poly coat/hard varnish type finish, I went with a tung-oil finish as used on finer wooden stocks and fine furniture. Definitely the way to go. Being a self proclaimed wood-worker, and having plenty of finish work under my belt, I'm surprised I'd never heard of an oil-finish until asking around about this project before starting. An oil finish gives you an ever lasting, beautiful finsh that can be re-oiled anytime you like. You don't get that with a polyurethane finish. As well as no discoloration, chipping, etc...With oil you get a natural looking finish. You can actually feel the wood grain in some of the softer wood areas, and it's slick as glass on the harder, darker areas. I'm very satisfied with it.

Here's the furniture as it came on the rifle. Just after disassembly.

After stripping that, whatever they put on it. Stripped & smoothed.

There are some markings from the factory that just aren't coming out. They cut to deep into the wood with belt sanders, or something, in places.

This is after the stain. I wouldn't have minded if it kept this tone, but it lightened up to match the sample image on the stain label. which is why I chose that lighter Walnut in the first place.

Here it is after the 3rd and final oiling. I stopped at 3 because it looked about the same as it did after the second oil. And I wasn't going for too much of a sheen.

I took this picture to show that dark spot, that kept showing up in pics, is just the wood grain in that area.

After a much needed cleaning of the internals, i.e. gas-tube, piston, carrier, bolt, etc...I reassembled, and got her ready for the photo-op.
      I am very pleased with the look and feel of the forend. It feels like quality now, and will withstand the elements better.

The stock. You've seen. This is the other side.

Here she is. Ya can't really tell much in this pic. It just doesn't do any justice. None of the pics really do, but this one's not good at all.

As I said, I'm really pleased with it. I'm glad I finally got after it. It was a pretty decent little project. I didn't choose the best week to do it. The weather hasn't been that great this week. We've had some wet days, so I put a lamp over the wood to keep the process moving.

Another thing. If I had known how nasty the rifles action was, A full field-strip and cleaing would've been the first thing I did. That was some nasty stuff. I don't know what they use to lube everything, but it's not worth a shit. It was lubed well, but it's like a cheap, thin grease. It's one clean machine now. I took the ole RomAK to another level. I'll call her...Juliet.

I'm also very pleased with the fit and finsh of this rifle. In a write up of a complete disassembly. The author hit on some common issues with milled receivers, this and that with different makes and models. This rifle was issue and burr free. Very tight and well made. The wood furniture is the only thing that can be criticised. The WASR 10/63 with demilled military receiver is one fine rifle. Just look for the triangle with arrow(some don't have the arrow) on the front trunion signifying it is a demilled military receiver.
      1 up

Go Gators

is just chillin

I am:
      Happy

Level

Default Re: Refinished AKM

Refinished AKM
      I checked it out a little earlier. Just to see how it's set in. I was able to get a couple better pics with more light. It shows up better than the reassembled shot from last night.

1 up

Go Gators

Michelle Hayden is offline Platinum Vixen
      Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 233
      Overall activity: 0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Very nice rifle. Looks like it would feel just right firing it. Looks really smooth,,

is just chillin

I am:
      Happy

Level

Thank you much Michelle!
      It does feel very nice to fire. Allot of fun! At only 35" from butt of the stock to tip of the slant-brake, it is a compact carbine. Lots of fun. I enjoy the heck out of it.
      1 up

Go Gators

deepsouth
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!
      • Refinished AKM
      • Refinished AKM

• Refinished AKM
      • Refinished AKM
      • Refinished AKM
      • Refinished AKM
      • Refinished AKM
      • Refinished AKM
      Man that looks sweet- now you have me reconsidering my tapco stock on my SKS