• Join Us!
  • Buying Organic: What's Worth It
  • Join Us!
  • You have 1 new Private Message Attention Guest, if you are not a member of Fitness Geared - Body Building & Fitness Community, you have 1 new private message waiting, to view it you must fill out this form.
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Thanks Thanks:  0
    Likes Likes:  0
    Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Buying Organic: What's Worth It

BABY1 is offline Mrs FUZO
      Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
      Overall activity: 0%
      Awards:
      Blog Award
      is is planting seeds

I am:
      Happy

Level
      Blog Entries

Default Buying Organic: What's Worth It

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

3 ways organics benefit your health

They Have More Nutrients: Reports of organic food not being better for you are outdated. A brand new analysis of about 100 studies, including more than 40 published in the past 7 years, found that the average levels of nearly a dozen nutrients are 25% higher in organic produce.

There May Be Weight Benefits: Research in rats found that those fed an all-organic diet (versus conventional food) had lower weights, less body fat, and stronger immune systems. Plus, the "clean diet" animals were calmer and slept better.

You Consume Fewer Toxins: Eating the 12 most contaminated fruits and vegetables exposes you to about 14 pesticides a day. A study supported by the EPA measured pesticide levels in children's urine before and after a switch to an organic diet. After just 5 days, the chemicals decreased to undetectable levels.

Top Produce Picks

Wallet-worthy fruits and veggies
      The most important fruits and vegetables you should buy organic: (1) those with the greatest pesticide residues and (2) the ones you eat most often. Government lab tests show that even after washing, certain fruits and vegetables carry much higher levels of pesticides than do others. Between 2000 and 2005, the not-for-profit Environmental Working Group (EWG) analyzed the results of nearly 51,000 tests for residues on produce. Based on the data, they created a "dirty dozen" list of the most contaminated fruits and veggies. Top offenders include: peaches, apples, bell peppers, celery, nectarines, strawberries, cherries, pears, grapes (imported), spinach, lettuce, and potatoes. Always buying these foods organic is ideal, but if you can't, focus on those you eat all the time.

Milk: Worth the Splurge?

Spend more to get more out of the daily food staple
      Per half gallon, organic milk is more expensive--about $4 versus $2.50--but it's worth the splurge. Recent studies revealed impressive findings on organic milk. Some highlights include: It contains 75% more beta-carotene, as much as a serving of brussels sprouts. It has 50% more vitamin E, a powerful antioxidant that aids the immune system and fights cancer and heart disease. It provides 2 to 3 times the antioxidants lutein and zeaxanthin, and about 70% more omega-3 fatty acids. Organic milk also contains more conjugated linoleic acid (CLA). This good fat has been linked to numerous health benefits, including stronger immunity, less belly fat, a lower risk of type 2 diabetes, and healthier arteries.

Is There More to Your Meat?

When it comes to meat and poultry, it’s better to choose organic
      A study in the journal Meat Science compared the nutritional content of organic and nonorganic chicken meat. The researchers found that the organic samples contained 28% more omega-3s, essential fatty acids that are linked to reduced rates of heart disease, depression, type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, inflammation, and Alzheimer's disease. Animals raised organically can't be given antibiotics, growth hormones, or feed made from animal by-products (which can transmit mad cow disease
      Veritas Vos Liberabit

bowbow is offline Platinum
      Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Default Re: Buying Organic: What's Worth It

I think the organic market is going to suffer in these harded times most americans are facing. It's hard to pay that much more for certain products.

When you look at nutrient differences in organic versus conventional products it amazes me how much food qaulity we have lost over the years. It's no wonder we need vitamins and supplements to get the nutrition we need. It's just not in the food anymore. Many years ago all of are food was what is now called organic.
      Assumption is the mother of all fuck ups

Michelle Hayden is offline Platinum Vixen
      Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 233
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Default Re: Buying Organic: What's Worth It

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

I always buy organic when i can. It is more expensive, but my body's worth it i think. Even with meats or poultry i either get the organic or farm raised. Only non GMO certified tho. Screw Monsanto and them other companies!