LAS VEGAS – Despite his win over fellow top contender Thiago Silva in the main event of this past Saturday's UFC 108 event, former champ Rashad Evans won't get an immediate title shot.

Instead, UFC president Dana White plans to have Evans (14-1-1 MMA, 9-1-1 UFC) settle his grudge match against Quinton "Rampage" Jackson (30-7 MMA, 5-1 UFC), and he thinks the fight could happen at a UFC 113 event expected to take place May 1 in Montreal.

Evans and Jackson served as coaches on the recently concluded 10th season of "The Ultimate Fighter," but a season-ending bout at UFC 107 was scratched when Jackson entered a short-lived retirement.

Evans, who instead was moved to UFC 108, returned to his wrestling roots and ground out a decision victory over Silva at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. It was his first fight since he lost his title via vicious knockout to Lyoto Machida in May 2009.

While Evans' body of work arguably makes him worthy to meet the winner of an upcoming title fight (and rematch) between Machida and Mauricio "Shogun" Rua, White prefers that Evans settle his score with Jackson, who soon returns from shooting his starring role as B.A. Baracus in a silver-screen adaptation of "The A-Team."

White initially expected the fight to happen in March but is now eying a May date.

"The fight should have happened two weeks ago (at UFC 107)," White said. "But I'm over [the trash-talking]. I'm past it. I think Rashad is too. Now's the time to do that fight as soon as he's done with his movie."

Evans, meanwhile, said he just wants to continue his winning ways.

"Getting to fight him (Jackson) would be a good opportunity to say the least," Evans said. "Getting the chance to get back in there and get on the winning track was very important tonight. Being off for so long and having so many distractions and working through so many things mentally, it was a little tougher than I thought it would be. ... But getting in here, fighting, sticking to the game plan and getting a win over a good, solid opponent under my belt was a good step for me."

And though he'd like a shot to reclaim his title, he wouldn't mind another fight to put the finishing touches on his retooled style.

"It's always great to fight for a belt," Evans said. "But I think I need one more fight to integrate everything I've been working on so that when I do get a title shot, no one will beat me."

So when could Evans vs. Jackson happen?

"We're thinking maybe, probably May," said White, referring to a card that's also expected to include Machida vs. Rua II. "That's going to be a sick card up there (in Montreal)."

For more on UFC 108, as well as the currently unannounced UFC 113 event, check out the MMA Events section of MMAjunkie.com.
Here we go!