Computers: The Balance Between Health and Technology

What did people do before cell phones and computers? How did people find a business's phone number or driving directions?
For better or worse, these devices have become an integral part of many of our lives. On one hand, it is truly amazing how much information is available at your fingertips while on the other hand, the health implications of computers and cellphones on your long-term health are not well understood yet. Here are some ways to minimize the negative impact on your health.

Cell Phone Solutions
The cell phone, a convenient and sometimes life-saving emergency device, has a definite downside. Recent evidence suggests that heavy mobile phone usage is bad for your health.
Research indicates that cell phone users are more prone to nonmalignant tumors in the ear and brain. Various studies suggest that cell phone use may cause changes to the DNA and cognitive functions: moreover, cancer rates are higher near cell phone antenna stations.
One potential solution is using wired headsets paired with magnetic beads - ferrite beads that snap on to the wire near the earpiece end to reduce radio frequency radiation near the user's head. Other options are to use the cell phone's speaker phone feature and limit cell phone use only for emergency and use a landline for the majority of your calls. Children under the age of eight should not use cell phones at all.

Computer Considerations
Computer use exposes you to some toxic elements. Assess your computer situation to see if you are at risk.
1. Are you using a monitor or a flat screen? With a monitor, you are exposed to electromagnetic radiation emanating from the cathode ray tube (CRT). CRTs operate at extremely high voltage - and thus high radiation levels. Eliminate the risk by replacing your CRT monitor with a flat screen type, which use a completely different technology, like liquid crystal display (LCD).
Flat screens operate at much lower voltages and do not produce electromagnetic radiation at all. One more benefit: expect your utility bill to drop because you'll be using a lot less electricity to power your flat screen.
2. Xylene, a toxic gas that is emitted from your computer screen, is not your friend. Offset volatile organic compounds (VOCs) like this one with a plant, your best air purifier.
Plants produce oxygen and eliminate VOCs at the same time. Good ones include chrysanthemums, English ivy, ficuses, indoor palms, and peace lilies.

Make a Point of Posture in Your Workspace
Feeling that nagging pinched and stiff feeling in your upper back again? It may be pointing to bad posture habits in front of the computer.
A graphic artist came to me looking to find a treatment for the shoulder problem he had suffered for years. A few weeks into our treatment program, I asked him to show me how he works at his computer.
Instantly I recognized that his mouse pad was too high in relation to his seat. My suggestion to him was to lower his mouse to below his desk so that his arm could relax with his elbow bent at a 90-degree angle instead of a 45-degree angle. To his surprise (and relief), his years of shoulder pain vanished a few days after he changed his position at the computer.
Look carefully at your work setup and be sure it is ergonomic. Get a good lumbar support chair, keep your sitting posture erect, and extend your back. Throughout your workday, take small breaks and do stretching exercises to loosen the tendons and muscles in the back. Your back will thank you!

I hope this article helps you find the balance between health and technology! I invite you to visit often and share your own personal health and longevity tips with me.

May you live long, live strong, and live happy!
--Dr. Mao