• Join Us!
  • Patrick Swayze: 5 Things You Didn't Know
  • Join Us!
  • You have 1 new Private Message Attention Guest, if you are not a member of Fitness Geared - Body Building & Fitness Community, you have 1 new private message waiting, to view it you must fill out this form.
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Thanks Thanks:  0
    Likes Likes:  0
    Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Patrick Swayze: 5 Things You Didn't Know

BABY1 is offline Mrs FUZO
      Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
      Overall activity: 0%
      Awards:
      Blog Award
      is is planting seeds

I am:
      Happy

Level
      Blog Entries

Default Patrick Swayze: 5 Things You Didn't Know

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

Today, we join untold millions worldwide to say a sad goodbye to Hollywood icon Patrick Swayze.

Although he played dozens of roles,
      Patrick Swayze's legacy as a true leading man, profoundly stamped into the anguished hearts of so many women, stems from just two unforgettable roles: Johnny Castle (Dirty Dancing) and, to a lesser extent, Sam Wheat (Ghost).

Castle was, by far, Patrick's most iconic role. Dirty Dancing is a film-turned-phenomenon that has practically become required watching material for teenage girls the world over, and it has a permanent place in the collections of grown women everywhere. Sound like an exaggeration? A recent British poll found that Dirty Dancing was the movie that women reported having seen the most times -- on average: 15. A musical based on the film shattered box office records worldwide, from Canada to Germany to
      London's famed West End, where it sold out for six months solid -- before it even opened.

Of course, a man is more than the sum of his roles, and Patrick Swayze's passing brings to an end an uncommon life -- one marked by a wide pendulum that routinely swung him between peaks reaching into the constellations and valleys deep in tragedy and despair. It was a life Patrick Swayze led, regardless of where the pendulum was, with exceptional dignity and humility.

In deference to such an understated ladies' man and one hell of a guy, we present five things you didn't know about Patrick Swayze.

1- Patrick Swayze landed a Cessna in the suburbs

Like his wife, Patrick Swayze was a licensed, experienced pilot with Instrument Rating (authorized to fly using only the instrument panel to navigate).

In 2000, while flying with his dogs in a twin-engine Cessna from Southern California to his ranch in Las Vegas, Patrick Swayze experienced what he called a "pressure bump" or pressurization failure while flying over Prescott Valley, Arizona. He began looking for an emergency air strip. After passing on two options once he spotted people on them (it was the middle of the afternoon), Swayze finally found a street inside the Mingus West suburban community. Before the plane came to a stop, Swayze's Cessna first bounced off the ground, knocked out a pair of street light poles, clipped a street sign, and thumped a utility box.

2- Patrick Swayze was married to the same woman for over 30 years

In a display of player defiance rarely seen in Hollywood beyond Paul Newman, Patrick Swayze was always a one-woman man.

Patrick Swayze was 19 years old when he first met Lisa Niemi, a girl four years his junior and a student at his mother's Houston-area dance studio. Although, by his own account, he did plenty of
      flirting with many of his mother's students, Niemi was different and they began a chaste relationship that survived the four years he spent in New York City. About five years after they first met, in 1975, they married. Somehow they managed to stay together through enormous personal loss (such as the death of Patrick's father in 1982), alcohol abuse and, most significantly, his steady rise from obscurity to iconic movie star and sex symbol to millions of women.

3- Patrick Swayze starred in the first PG-13 movie

The MPAA established the PG-13 rating on July 1, 1984. Red Dawn, John Milius' much-maligned World War III flick starring Patrick Swayze, Charlie Sheen and Jennifer Grey, was not the first film to be given the new rating (The Flamingo Kid had been temporarily shelved), but its distributors made sure it would have the distinction of being the first PG-13 film to be released to theaters by moving the date up a week from August 17 to August 10, thereby trumping Dennis Quaid's Dreamscape, which came out on August 15.

Patrick Swayze and his Wolverine insurgents in Red Dawn would one day inspire the U.S. Army's hunt for Saddam Hussein, but at the time, they earned mostly scorn: The movie so infuriated the National Coalition on Television Violence that they instantly declared it the most violent film ever made, clocking 134 acts of violence per hour.

4- Patrick Swayze's father was a champion rodeo cowboy

In Dirty Dancing, Johnny Castle appeals to women in part because of what he brings to the game: a ruggedly handsome, bad-boy masculinity with the incredible dancing skills. His character sends tingling chills up the spines of some, and cringes down the spines of others.

Nevertheless, you might say that this crossover in masculinity was almost literally inherent in Patrick Swayze; from his mother, a dance instructor and choreographer, he got the rhythm of the dance and from his father, a rodeo champion, the muscle of the cowboy.

Consider that Josef Brown, the dancer who played Castle on stage in Australia and England, cites Swayze in Dirty Dancing for inspiring his career: "[The movie] said to me: 'It's OK to dance and be masculine.'"

5- Patrick Swayze was offered scholarships for both dance and athletics

As a student at Waltrip High School, Patrick Swayze excelled in athletics; he was a top swimmer, gymnast and football player for the school. In a testament to those extraordinarily athletic gifts, when he graduated in 1970, he was offered college scholarships in both dance and athletics. Swayze chose to attend San Antonio's San Jacinto College on a gymnastics scholarship, but he wouldn't graduate; rather, he went off to the Big Apple where he danced with the likes of the prestigious Joffrey Ballet.

All this should come as little surprise. As an actor, Patrick Swayze performed many of his own
      stunts, a decision that sometimes resulted in injury, but more often than not proved both exhilarating and rewarding. For 1991's Point Break, Patrick Swayze even learned how to skydive.
      Veritas Vos Liberabit

deepsouth
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Default Re: Patrick Swayze: 5 Things You Didn't Know

You the thing thatI have mostly respected about this guy is he has been doing movies for some time and lived the Hollywood lifestyle yet never gotten caught up in the normal trash. You never saw him on the news with either drugs- otr messing around on his wife or anything like that. He alswy kept a low profile and his nose clean, which is more than you can say about the majority of those over there

IronpumpedLady is offline Vixen
      Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 55
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Awesome

Level

I agree here with DS. He was one of a kind!! He'll be missed thats for sure!!

Stay Strong~~!!!
      IPL

Dzone is offline Super Moderator
      Overall activity: 44.0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Happy

Level
      Blog Entries

Good read about patrick swayze. Cant help but admire anyone who is devoted to one woman his whole life..wow.

FUZO is offline FUZO
      Awards:
      Posting Award
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Cool

Level
      Blog Entries

We need to find cures for cancer it just has to happen.
      Disclaimer: Steroid use is illegal in a vast number of countries around the world. This is not without reason. Steroids should only be used when prescribed by your doctor and under close supervision. Steroid use is not to be taken lightly and we do not in any way endorse or approve of illegal drug use. The information is provided on the same basis as all the other information on this site, as informational/entertainment value.

Please take the time to read these threads!

Fitness Geared Shoutbox rules

FG member signature rules

Fitness Geared Forum Rules

https://www.fitnessgeared.com/forum/f334/

https://www.fitnessgeared.com/forum/f283/

https://www.tgbsupplements.com/

daved150 is offline Platinum
      Overall activity: 4.0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

very stand up guy and a great role model for other hollywood trash...good call ds, i agree!!
      thanks for the post baby1
      HE WHO MAKES A BEAST OF HIMSELF, GET'S RID OF THE PAIN OF BEING A MAN!!

https://www.infinitymuscle.com/forum.php

"Actually for once your actually starting sound quite logical!"-djdiggler 07/10/2007

I LOVE BOOBOOKITTY...

badasz32 is offline Elite FG Resident
      Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 405
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

he was the man...
      Road house is one of my favorite movies... ever.
      Badasz1@Hushmail.com

gator_mclusky is offline Established Resident
      Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 242
      Overall activity: 4.0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

I respect the man immensely! My doc asks that I donate to the Ocshner Foundation that treats everything from the mildest Cacer (if there is one!) to the most aggressive and he takes it off my bill.

God Bless Patrick and as little as $5 will help!!!!!!!!

Thanks for listening.

What a great guy. She wasnt a beauty queen but in his eyes she was and in my eyes she is now with such a beautiful personality!!!

God Bless. He was and is a good man!

gator
      Commitment to Excellence

God, Family, Career and building a fortress that I call my body!!!!!!