• Join Us!
  • Randy interested in Silva!!
  • Join Us!
  • You have 1 new Private Message Attention Guest, if you are not a member of Fitness Geared - Body Building & Fitness Community, you have 1 new private message waiting, to view it you must fill out this form.
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Thanks Thanks:  0
    Likes Likes:  0
    Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Randy interested in Silva!!

tn94z is offline Platinum
      Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
      Overall activity: 0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Geeky

Level

Default Randy interested in Silva!!

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

How good of a fight would this be?

Recently on The Lavar Arrington Show with Chad Dukes, former UFC Heavyweight and Light Heavyweight Champion Randy Couture expressed interest in a possible fight with current UFC Middleweight Champion Anderson Silva at light heavyweight. To wit:

Chad Dukes: Would you ever consider [dropping to light heavyweight] and facing [Silva]?

Randy Couture: Yeah, are you kidding? I think he's one of the best fighters in the world. Those are the kinds of guys I want to fight. That would be an interesting fight.

I think the guy with a wrestling background that can get their hands on him, tie him up and smother him is definitely a guy that's going to give him fits and make him have a rough night.

Chad Dukes: Wow, he's said he wants to fight more at 205lbs but doesn't want to fight Machida. Has that even been floated out to you? Is that something that's even been discussed by Dana or any of these guys?

Randy Couture: Ah, they certainly haven't approached me with it. I think the idea's been kicked around, but I don't know if it's being kicked around by the executives at Zuffa.

It's too far in the future to speculate about what likelihood there is in terms of making this fight happen, but my initial hunch is that the possibility is greater than it may seem. The UFC would likely have to negotiate such a fight on a new contract should Couture defeat Nogueira at UFC 102 and earn a rematch with Lesnar. But as far as other logistics, the fight has appeal. Couture isn't really a contender at light heavyweight anymore, so knocking him off in that bout wouldn't hurt the division and could only make Couture even more beloved should he prevail. Moreover, the fight would likely be commercially successful. As Michael Rome has pointed out, there is reason to believe Silva's draw as a PPV star could be on the rise and we already know Couture can move units.

As for how the two match-up, I still see Silva's speed as a terrible problem. The idea that getting a wrestler's hands on Silva is the way to win is technically true, if shortsighted. While Silva has mediocre takedown defense from the clinch or even at striking range, it turns out closing the distance on him is exceptionally difficult. So while I have no doubts Couture could inflict massive damage on top in half guard, getting to a position where he can execute a takedown is a path fraught with peril.
      "He woke up because I kept punching him in the face." --Thiago Alves

"I'm telling you, once your car's been stolen, it never runs the same again. It's like a guy sleeping with your girl. He leaves his mark all over her."- Drama (Entourage)

badasz32 is offline Elite FG Resident
      Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 405
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Default Re: Randy interested in Silva!!

Look I love Randy but this would be a worse decision then him wanting to fight brock again.... silva would end his life... let alone is career.
      Badasz1@Hushmail.com

bionic redneck is offline Platinum
      Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 402
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

i think randy.. is wishin upon a star on this one...he should stick to coachin and retire...before someone like silva really hurts him..

Schiznick is offline Senior Resident
      Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 49
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

of course his is... Randy will fight ANYONE.. he's just like that... I love the dude
      "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"...................Benjamin Franklin

schiznick13@yahoo.com

This user has no status.

I am:
      Geeky

Level

The funny thing is the guys that say Randy has no chance of competing with Silva but then they will turn around and say that GSP can beat him. HA! Randy would run a freaking clinic on GSP, but GSP can beat Anderson, yeah right!

"I'm telling you, once your car's been stolen, it never runs the same again. It's like a guy sleeping with your girl. He leaves his mark all over her."- Drama (Entourage)

brody13
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Randy is Way bigger than GSP. Randy would fight Silva at Light heavy, while GSP Silva would be a catch weight or 185. Big difference. Let Randy fight GSP at 185 or catch weight and see what happens. Hell, let Randy fight Silva at 185 and it would be finished in the first round guaranteed.

This user has no status.

I am:
      Geeky

Level

Quote Originally Posted by brody13 View Post
      Randy is Way bigger than GSP. Randy would fight Silva at Light heavy, while GSP Silva would be a catch weight or 185. Big difference. Let Randy fight GSP at 185 or catch weight and see what happens. Hell, let Randy fight Silva at 185 and it would be finished in the first round guaranteed.
      This is delusional man All Anderson has to do is weigh in at 185. Do you think he actually fights at 185? GSP would be lucky to gain enough to weigh in at 185 in which his cardio will become a factor. So lets just say that GSP comes in at 180...Anderson would be about 195 or better the night of the fight. Randy at 185 would freaking kill GSP!!! Can you imagine how crisp his boxing would be then? My goodness...that would not be good.

Man...you need to let go of the GSP thing...you are going to make his head explode if he reads your comments.

brody13
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Same to you, Is that why BJs head always looks so swollen? No one even mentioned GSP on this thread until you said

The funny thing is the guys that say Randy has no chance of competing with Silva but then they will turn around and say that GSP can beat him. HA! Randy would run a freaking clinic on GSP, but GSP can beat Anderson, yeah right!

All you ever do is pick out GSPs faults and say everyone would smash him yet you always end with "But GSP is my second fav fighter" You make no sense. I hate to hear how you trash you 3rd or 4th favs. This thread was about Silva and Randy and you just had to bring in how GSP would get smashed by both, we get it OK GSP is a bum who can only do well in the WW division and he has a glass chin.

This user has no status.

I am:
      Geeky

Level

Quote Originally Posted by brody13 View Post
      Same to you, Is that why BJs head always looks so swollen? No one even mentioned GSP on this thread until you said

All you ever do is pick out GSPs faults and say everyone would smash him yet you always end with "But GSP is my second fav fighter" You make no sense. I hate to hear how you trash you 3rd or 4th favs. This thread was about Silva and Randy and you just had to bring in how GSP would get smashed by both, we get it OK GSP is a bum who can only do well in the WW division and he has a glass chin.
      I don't bash GSP. I just know where wishful thinking ends and reality begins. I like GSP and I want him to move up and test himself. But to sit here and say that GSP would beat Randy, Forrest, and Anderson when he hasn't fought anyone outside of 170 doesn't make sense. I brought him up because of other threads. People said in other threads that GSP would beat Anderson and then in this thread they say that Randy has no chance....that is what doesn't make sense and that is why I brought it up.

BJ is my favorite fighter but if someone said "BJ would beat Anderson", then I would argue the point that he would not. And to have an intelligent argument, I would have to point out the reasons he would not win, just as I am pointing out the reasons GSP would not win. At least my arguments have statistical fact to back it up.

Anyway, we can go back on forth on these topics forever...the truth is, GSP will probably never fight Anderson. Anderson only has a couple more fights and then he is leaving.

brody13
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

If GSP knew he was fighting a 185 bout he would have no prob getting to 185 and fighting at more than that. He walks around at 190 or so now gaining 10-15lbs of good weight in 4-5 months is very possible for these guys. Look at BJ, hes a beast now! I still think GSP could take Forrest at 185, hes just a better fighter. I was kind of joking about Randy dropping to 185 because I dont think that could happen. But at his age going through something so drastic as dropping that kind of weight would not bode well. GSP would be strong as shiz at 185 and Randy would be skin and bones, as good as Randy is I still couldnt see him win. Im just guessing clearly cause none of this is really going to happen anyway even though I would love to see all of those fights.