Chances are, if you're into bodybuilding or just general fitness, you've come across many fancy supplement ads. You might be attracted to the four page "scientifically proven" ads for a certain fat burner, or a miracle pill that's supposed to save your sex life that happens to be simple tribulus. The flashy labels on products and hologram outlined lettering may have you believing that you're going to turn into the next Jay Cutler. Do you believe the hype?

Unfortunately, if you buy into the hype you may end up getting ripped off. Money is precious to all and you shouldn't supplement anything extraneous before buying your staple supplements. What exactly is a staple supplement? It's simply something that the fitness freak must have in his or her arsenal at all times. Below are the top three things that I believe people should supplement at all times:

1. Protein, Protein, (WHEY) Protein!

If you're thinking about spending your money on any supplement and you don't have protein in your pantry already then you might as well just stop working out entirely. Protein is a universal supplement, beneficial to all. We all need it post-workout and we may even need to supplement throughout the day depending on how available we are to cook regular meals. The one time when you must have a good whey protein is after you've completed your workout. The "anabolic window", as some call it, is the period between after your workout up until two hours after your workout where your body will use a large amount of protein to replenish and build muscle. Whey protein is the fastest digesting protein and can get into your bloodstream in as fast as 30 minutes.

Typically, people need to eat their body weight (formula is g of protein = weight in lbs.) everyday if they're physically active. This means that if you're not eating enough meals throughout the day you may need to supplement protein more times than just post-workout. Whatever the case, this is the first supplement you need to buy when stocking up on supplements. The best deals for protein usually run at lowest $30 + shipping over the internet for a 5 lb. (~75 serving) tub. Most even come with added BCAA (branched chain amino acids) which are very effective aids to the anabolic process.

2. Multivitamins

The multivitamin is the basic foundation of daily health and well being. Multivitamins are an all-in-one supplement that provide us numerous benefits ranging from a stronger immune system to skin health. Multivitamin will cover your general health needs and is most effective when taken daily over a long period of time to allow the vitamins and minerals to build up in your system. The multivitamin is easily taken when dosed first thing in the morning.

Taking a multivitamin with food aids in it's absorption and is in my opinion the best way to avoid stomach pain felt from taking such a supplement. You may notice that you haven't been sick or aching for awhile after regularly taking your multivitamin. This is likely because you've built a strong vitamin and mineral balance within your body and your defenses are in full force! Multivitamins come as cheap as $3.99 for a month's supply (NOW Daily One) on sites such as our very own A1supplements.com!

3. Omega-3 Fish Oil

Earlier in this article, I mentioned that there is no miracle pill. Fish Oil; however, may be as close as it gets if taken over a long, continuous amount of time. Omega-3 fatty acids (in fish oil) are proven to lower cholesterol and blood pressure among numerous other benefits such as: less pain, less inflammation, protect from stroke or heart attack, better brain/memory function, and less depression. Probably most amazing is how fish oil prevents the growth of cancer cells, thus having effects at preventing all forms of cancer.

Athletically, fish oil can help lubricate dried out joints for added recovery. It's a pretty amazing supplement and the best part is that it's relatively cheap. Just about 1 gram of EPA-DHA omega-3 fish oil is necessary per day. Generally, two gelcaps will cover this dosage. Typical bottles contain 100 to 250 pills and run anywhere from $5-$18 depending on the brand and amount. Make sure that you buy the molecularly distilled fish oil as mercury poisoning from poor water conditions can contaminate cheaper fish oils.

But Wait, What About Creatine? I Thought I Needed That!

Creatine is a great supplement for bodybuilders and athletes alike, but it isn't as much of a staple supplement as some would like to think. While creatine increases ATP (energy) and floods our muscles with water, it can become saturated like anything in our bodies after prolonged use. Generally, if one takes 5 grams of creatine for up to 21-30 days, the body will be saturated with creatine and you will need to cycle off of creatine for 2-3 weeks before you begin usage again. The problem with overloading on creatine is that you can raise creatinine levels in the body to the point where it's toxic. Awhile back a buddy of mine had to go to the hospital because he took too much creatine in a short period of time and had creatinine levels through the roof! Don't let this be you! Cycle your creatine!

My Friends And I Can Never Workout Without N.O. (Nitric Oxide) Products... I Need Them!

If you think that you need N.O. products for great energy in the gym, then you probably just told me that you're not eating enough pre-workout. Chances are, that you'd buy food before any supplements (at least I hope you do!) and you have some good carbohydrates laying around (oats, pasta, whole wheats). Carbing up before a workout is essential for smooth energy when you're throwing around iron. A good amount of carbs for me is 60 g of complex carbohydrates eaten about 1 hour and 15 minutes before I hit the gym.

A good source for this is oats or whole grain toast. Make sure that you don't eat excessive amounts of food before the gym as digestion may make you tired. 60 g of carbs is more than enough to do the trick for a 1-2 hour workout. The reason that most N.O. products give good "kicks" of energy is because they rely on excessive amounts of caffeine. While N.O. products with ingredients like AAKG or OKG are beneficial as vasodilators, they can't provide consistent energy like a good carb up. Why do you think bodybuilders carb load for a pump before their competition instead of taking a N.O. booster? It's simple science. The "food" pump beats all pumps!

I'm Not Willing To Lose Fat Without A Thermogenic Or Non-Thermogenic Fat Burner!

It's sad that most people depend on fat burning pills to aid in a major part of their weight loss or cutting goals instead of sticking with a solid diet and a good amount of cardio in addition to strength training. I prefer to cut weight by an unconventional high fat, low carb diet. It works wonders if you can run with 50-75 carbs a day and you get to eat all of the meat you want! I'm talking steak, chops, the works! Most bodybuilders have switched to high fat diets because it allows them to get enough protein in through lean and fatty sources alike (but "good" fatty sources such as eggs, nuts, etc.). Caffeine pills can be your best friend and are extremely cheap to buy.

Take a dose before working out (200-400 mg) and you'll have plenty of energy to power through your workout. If you're caffeine sensitive natural alternatives such as green tea extract have natural thermogenic effects. But overall, I would stray away from non-FDA approved fat loss supplements as there are a lot of health risks involved in using them. Most of them disappoint users anyway and you have to use them just right to see little if any results.

Do You Have Joint Issues?

If you have dry joints or have injured yourself in the past in this area you may want to add another staple supplement - joint support. Two things that have worked very well for me are Glucosamine and Chondrotion as well as Cissus Quadrangularis. Both of these supplements do a nice job lubricating dry joints and have better effects the longer you use them. Cissus even provides a nice muscle pump while working out - that'll get the endorphins going! Both supplements are always at the top of people's heads when you mention joint support. They're proven winners!

Some Final Thoughts...

Never, ever forget to buy your staple supplements. They'll cost you about $45-$60 depending on where you buy them but you'll get much better results in the gym with them. In review, remember the three don't evers. Don't ever workout without drinking whey protein afterward. Don't ever start your day without a multivitamin. Lastly, don't ever forget the power that fish oil can add to your overall well being. Train smart, train hard, and never give up on your dreams.