Stepping into the season eight "Ultimate Fighter" finale show as the biggest odds on favorite to win his fight, Eliot Marshall did not disappoint as he choked out former housemate Jules Bruchez in just over a minute of their 205-pound divisional bout during the preliminary undercard.

Marshall prepared for the fight between his home camp in Colorado and Greg Jackson's team in New Mexico, where he sparred alongside fighters such as Rashad Evans, Keith Jardine, Nate Marquardt, and others to get him ready for his first official fight in the UFC.

With his initiation into the Jackson camp, Marshall was required to perform the new team pre-fight ritual that has become a mainstay for all the fighters and a favorite talking point among fans.

"Rashad said I had to," Marshall said about the infamous nipple tweak. "I had to talk to my wife about it too, like a couple days before. I wasn't quite sure how to put it."

Obviously the team's good luck charm worked in Marshall's favor, as he was able to dispatch of his opponent with quick work in the first round. Being the heavy favorite, he understood the pressure was on him to win and he made a very conscious effort to fight with an extra sense of urgency.

"When that's the situation you tend to fight not to lose," Marshall commented about being the favorite. "That tends to happen sometimes when you're supposed to win. I just didn't want to do that. Duane (Ludwig) kind of helped me out a little bit; he yelled at me a little bit."

The Amal Easton black belt had intended to show more of his stand-up skills in the fight. He managed to rock Bruchez early on with a right hand, but an accidental low blow made him decide for the ground game instead of a continued pursuit on the feet.

"I wanted to keep it standing a little bit, but in the clinch he kneed me in the groin and it hurt kind of bad. I knew he was hurt still, so I figured if I was going to stay on my feet, the ref would separate it and give him time to recover so I just took him down," Marshall said.

With the win, he moves on in his career with the UFC and while no definitive plans have been made just yet, he hopes to return in early 2009.

"I'd probably like to take the holidays and just relax and then fight again in March," Marshall stated.
I really like this guy and I think that he has a great future in the sport. With the talent he has already and then working with Greg Jakcson on top of that...I think he can be trouble for the 205ers!!