• Join Us!
  • Post-Workout Chocolate Milk
  • Join Us!
  • You have 1 new Private Message Attention Guest, if you are not a member of Fitness Geared - Body Building & Fitness Community, you have 1 new private message waiting, to view it you must fill out this form.
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Thanks Thanks:  0
    Likes Likes:  0
    Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Post-Workout Chocolate Milk

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
      BABY1 is offline Mrs FUZO
      Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
      Overall activity: 0%
      Awards:
      Blog Award
      is is planting seeds

I am:
      Happy

Level
      Blog Entries

Default Post-Workout Chocolate Milk

To get the best results from your training, ensure that your post-workout drink or meal is up to par. After your workout, your body is most receptive to using amino acids to repair muscle tissue, while using carbohydrates to restore muscle glycogen.

One of the best post-workout options is chocolate milk. Most prepared chocolate milk beverages are made with 1% or 2% milk, but you could also create your own fat-free chocolate milk by adding some chocolate syrup to regular skim milk. This will provide you with the benefits of carbohydrates, while giving you the optimal protein source found in milk.

Do make note, though, that different brands will vary in total calorie content, so even across the 1% varieties, the fat content may be the same, but total calorie content (typically ranging from 90 to 200 per 250 ml) will differ.

Here’s why post-workout chocolate milk tops the list when it comes to fueling yourself after a hard session at the gym.

Protein Content

Post-workout chocolate milk is beneficial because of its protein content. Every cup contains between 8 and 11 grams of protein, with the Clover and Bravo Foods brands containing the most. Ideally, you’ll want to consume between 15 g and 25 g of protein after a workout, which equates to 500 ml to 750 ml of chocolate milk.

Also, a study in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that, when taken immediately after exercise, milk-based proteins promote greater muscle protein synthesis than soy-based proteins.

Finally, another reason why post-workout chocolate milk is beneficial is because cow’s milk contains about 80% casein protein content and 20% whey protein content. This is ideal because the whey protein is fast-acting, allowing amino acids to get right into the muscle tissue, while the casein protein is digested slower, providing a steady stream of amino acids over a lengthier period of time.

Carbohydrate Content

Turning to post-workout chocolate milk immediately following your lifting sessions is a smart move because of the types of carbohydrates it provides. The total carbohydrate count will vary depending upon the brand you choose, with most coming in around 20-25 grams of carbohydrates. The highest carb count is found in Hershey’s 2% Chocolate Milk, which rings in at 31 grams, while Hood’s Calorie Countdown 2% Chocolate Milk has the lowest carb count (5 grams).

This sugar will cause a spike in insulin levels, driving the glucose molecules into the muscle tissue, and replenishing the energy stores for your next workout. Without this insulin spike, you’re going to be looking at a slower recovery period, which could mean more time out of the gym.

A study by the International Journal of Sports Nutrition had subjects perform three interval-style, exhaustion workout sessions on separate days, and then monitored the recovery that was demonstrated. The subjects either consumed chocolate milk post-workout or a carbohydrate replacement fluid.

More reasons to include post-workout chocolate milk into your routine...
      It was seen that after the recovery period was over, those who were drinking post-workout chocolate milk showed enhanced performance between the interval sessions, indicating that the carbohydrates in chocolate milk were doing a better job in recovery than the carbohydrates in the replacement beverage.

Calcium Content

Finally, drinking post-workout chocolate milk is a smart move because of its calcium content. Calcium is one of the minerals that plays a critical role in the “power stroke” -- when the individual muscle fibers generate tension through a cross-bridge cycling pattern, causing contraction to take place. The calcium ions are what bind to the plasma membrane and send one of the first signals to stimulate the power stroke. So, without enough calcium ions in the body, this process will not take place optimally.

By drinking post-workout chocolate milk you will increase your daily calcium intake, and increase the likelihood of an optimal power stroke. Most brands average between 300 mg and 400 mg of calcium, but if you opt for Hershey’s Chocolate Milk, you’ll get 500 mg per cup.

milk it

Chocolate milk has a bad rep for being full of sugar, but perception is quickly changing and people are turning to it after their workout sessions. So, there’s no need to spend tons of money on mixing up some fancy post-workout beverage -- consider using simple chocolate milk instead.
      Veritas Vos Liberabit

Doink the clown is offline Platinum
      Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 321
      Overall activity: 16.0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Default Re: Post-Workout Chocolate Milk

I use milk,chocolate syrup,protien powder and bcaa tablets. If i run out or get low i go into crisis mode. there is prob better means out there but this is def a winner recipe

daved150 is offline Platinum
      Overall activity: 4.0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

i've heard that before, but never did it. i do a creatine drink with 25grm isolate protien. then eat a meal about 45mins after...been working out so far
      HE WHO MAKES A BEAST OF HIMSELF, GET'S RID OF THE PAIN OF BEING A MAN!!

https://www.infinitymuscle.com/forum.php

"Actually for once your actually starting sound quite logical!"-djdiggler 07/10/2007

I LOVE BOOBOOKITTY...

Doink the clown is offline Platinum
      Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 321
      Overall activity: 16.0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Quote Originally Posted by daved150 View Post
      i've heard that before, but never did it. i do a creatine drink with 25grm isolate protien. then eat a meal about 45mins after...been working out so far
      Actually bro, since i read your post in the holiday accountability thread and you and i are going to be screaming in the calories you may want to have 2 of those drinks post workout then have that meal. all within 2 hrs. I think you may notice you recover alot faster, just a thought. here's what i drink:

MILK
      CREATINE
      HERSHEY'S CHOCOLATE SYRUP/ or STRAWBERRY SYRUP
      PROTIEN POWDER
      BCAA TABLETS (6 TABS)

bowbow is offline Platinum
      Overall activity: 0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

I actually have to disagree with this article on how milk is a good post workout drink. It points out how milk is 80% casien protein which is a slow release protein. That is exactly what you don't want. You want 100% whey after a work out mixed in water with your carb choice for fast uptake.

Then you want to eat a whole food meal awhile after to get your slow release proteins in. That article and that statement goes against everything I know.
      Assumption is the mother of all fuck ups