• Join Us!
  • Five Things You Didn't Know About: Heartburn
  • Join Us!
  • You have 1 new Private Message Attention Guest, if you are not a member of Fitness Geared - Body Building & Fitness Community, you have 1 new private message waiting, to view it you must fill out this form.
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Thanks Thanks:  0
    Likes Likes:  0
    Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Five Things You Didn't Know About: Heartburn

dixiechick
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Default Five Things You Didn't Know About: Heartburn

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

Five Things You Didn't Know About: Heartburn
      by Jessica Ashley, Shine staff, on Mon Sep 8, 2008

Heartburn, blergh. It has a knack for ruining even the most romantic dinner dates and hampering happy hour with friends. It can make you feel like like you bought that sassy black dress four sizes too small, like you are prematurely grandmotherly or even like you are having a cardiac episode. Whether you've had it once or have it once a week, whether it causes some discomfort or full-blown agony, heartburn is an inconvenience that demands our attention at the most inopportune times.

So what is heartburn? It happens when "food and stomach juices" back into the esophagus, also known as reflux, indigestion or "sour stomach.Just the phrase "stomach juices" is enough feel the fire rise up into your breastbone, so here's a visual that's a bit...drier. Heartburn can cause pain or warmth from the abdomen up to the sternum and can be caused by a host of reasons, including gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).

Before you swallow a half-bottle of Tums or cry out dramatically for Dr. Ross, here are five things that will help you understand what's going on in there when you have heartburn.

1. Lots of us have it and lots of us get more of it as we age. While only 6% to 10% of us experience heartburn daily, up to 60% of the population has an episode once a year. Adults have heartburn more frequently than children, although kids who vomit frequently after eating in their first two years will have increased chances of getting heartburn later in life. These kids also have an increased likelihood of other medical issues that range from asthma to sinusitus.

2. Lots of us are popping meds to ease the pain. It is estimated that 40% of adults in the U.S. are using over-the-counter or prescription medications twice a week or more to treat GERD. When medication is not effective, surgery is also an option for some GERD suffererers. Most often, laparoscopic surgery is performed with a 50% to 90% success rate and a 10% to 20% chance of continued or new symptoms and similar possibility of needing a second surgery in ten to twelve years.

Antacids, the cheap and easy over-the-counter option for less severe symptoms, work in two ways to neutralize the stomach acids and ease the pain of heartburn: Those with alginic acid have a foaming agent that moves in between the stomach content and the esophagus to prevent contact. Those with simethicone break down the gas bubbles that cause you to burp and also propel the stomach acid into your esophagus. All antacids can cause side effects, including more belly and bathroom issues, so be sure to take note of how the kind you use is impacting your body.

3. Some of the stuff we know isn't great for us (at least in excess or if it causes God-awful belching) can make your heartburn flare up. Smoking, stress, wearing tight clothes, lots of bending and lifting, obesity, alcohol, sugars, fatty and fried foods can all ramp up the reflux.

4. And some of the stuff we know can be (or feel) very good can also get it going. Garlic, citrus, tomatoes, onions, spicy foods, chocolate, peppermint, some medicines, vigorous exercise (so unfair) and pregnancy may be why you're feeling the heat.

5. A little lifestyle adjustment or alternative care might help you feel a whole lot better. Yes, my friend, loosening that adorable patent belt might help ease the discomfort of heartburn and (don't wince, we've all been there) going a size up on the offending pants might help too. More big no-duhs include actively maintaining a healthy weight, avoiding reflux-causing food and drink, and asking someone to help with (or just do) the bending and lifting. You might actually help you curb the burn are elevating the head of your bed so gravity works on with those gnarly stomach juices and it's said that warm milk with honey can help pregnant women. One idea you can just hear coming out of your mom's mouth is drinking a solution of baking soda and water (or you might just burp up some relief saying that out loud).

If heartburn's had you all clenched up, what's helped to ease your discomfort? Are you willing to give up spicy food and skinny jeans if they make it all worse?

Dzone is offline Super Moderator
      Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
      Overall activity: 44.0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Happy

Level
      Blog Entries

Default Re: Five Things You Didn't Know About: Heartburn

Great post! The most amazing thing happened to me when I stopped drinking. No more acid reflux. No more stomach pain. No more esophogeal spasms. No more heartburn. Now I can eat ANYTHING without having to drink pepto bizmol.. No more worries about throat cancer. Plus, no more worries about being a drunk dichead. If Im going to be a dichead , its without alcohol. LOL

bohunt
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Dzone View Post
      Great post! The most amazing thing happened to me when I stopped drinking. No more acid reflux. No more stomach pain. No more esophogeal spasms. No more heartburn. Now I can eat ANYTHING without having to drink pepto bizmol.. No more worries about throat cancer. Plus, no more worries about being a drunk dichead. If Im going to be a dichead , its without alcohol. LOL
      That's great! nothing worse than a sober dichead. lol

deepsouth
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Nice post DC

daved150 is offline Platinum
      Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
      Overall activity: 4.0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

thanks dc!!! great post
      HE WHO MAKES A BEAST OF HIMSELF, GET'S RID OF THE PAIN OF BEING A MAN!!

https://www.infinitymuscle.com/forum.php

"Actually for once your actually starting sound quite logical!"-djdiggler 07/10/2007

I LOVE BOOBOOKITTY...