Hillary caves… incomplete roll call vote planned

Instead of risking being seen as the candidate who tore the DNC officially in two, Hillary’s team caved in during negotiations with Obama’s representative, David Plouffe… agreeing to an incomplete roll call vote.

Hillary Rodham Clinton and Barack Obama worked out a convention city deal to limit the divisive roll call for president, a step toward an uneasy alliance of former rivals and their still-bitter supporters.

Many Clinton backers said Monday they were not interested in compromise and wanted a prime-time celebration of Clinton’s nomination fight. Clinton herself said she wouldn’t tell her backers how to vote.

Democratic officials involved in the negotiations said the deal would let a few states cast votes for Clinton before a move to declare Obama the nominee by acclimation.

~~~
The voting could perhaps end with New York, when Clinton herself would call for unanimous nomination of Obama from the convention floor, Democratic officials said. The officials spoke on condition of while the deal was being finalized.

In odd contrast, Pelosi still believes there should be a full roll call. And I have to say, this may be one of the rare moments I agree with the Speaker.

“I can’t imagine not going into a convention and hearing ’Alabama!’ and the whole world looking up to see what comes next,” she said. “But as typical of these roll calls, at a certain point, somebody has the votes and the protocol and graciousness come through and that will have its own dynamic.”

A shortened roll call vote will only further alienate the Hillary supporters, who already feel disenfranchised from their party. Obviously, the appearance that “every vote must count” is another victim of the Obama candidacy. Not only will they not be counted, the top players will go the extra mile to make sure they don’t even have the chance to vote.

Then again, with a candidate who’s legal team utilized rules and details in order to eliminate all primary competition in his first IL Congressional run, this can not come as a surprise.

What does come as a surprise is that this style of political campaign strategy is becoming acceptable as not only the norm, but seen as wise.