• Join Us!
  • BJ vs GSP.... opinions...
  • Join Us!
  • You have 1 new Private Message Attention Guest, if you are not a member of Fitness Geared - Body Building & Fitness Community, you have 1 new private message waiting, to view it you must fill out this form.
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Thanks Thanks:  0
    Likes Likes:  0
    Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BJ vs GSP.... opinions...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
      Schiznick is offline Senior Resident
      Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 49
      Overall activity: 0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Default BJ vs GSP.... opinions...

Ok, I want to hear OPEN MINDED opinions about how this fight is going to go down... here is mine..

STAND UP: BJ has greatly improved his stand-up, but I definitely think that GSP has him in this area, not by alot, but I give him the edge.

WRESTLING: Again, I gotta go with GSP on this one. He has rediculous wrestling skills. Dominated Koscheck and Hughes in this area and they are both world class wrestlers.

GROUND GAME: Ok, having in mind that GSP is going to be on top most of the time on the ground, I gotta give him the points for being on top, but I do think this is the only scary area for GSP for obvious reasons. If he can avoid the submission, this will be a one-sided affair.
      "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"...................Benjamin Franklin

schiznick13@yahoo.com

O2BESOHUGE is offline ADMINISTRATOR
      Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Awesome

Level

Default Re: BJ vs GSP.... opinions...

I THINK BJ'S STAMINA WILL BE IN QUESTION AFTER GOING UP IN WEIGHT

GSP ISNT THE SAME FIGHTER AS HE WAS...HES MUCH MORE TALENTED AND DANGEROUS NOW

BJ'S NATURAL WEIGHT IS 155. I THINK HE NEEDS TO STAY THERE

I HONESTLY THINK GSP WILL OWN BJ IN THIS FIGHT
      ..“Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same.”

tn94z is offline Platinum
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Geeky

Level

Okay, Shiz, I know you are waiting on me to chime in so here goes.

Standup...I agree with you. I think they are very close now, even more so than the first time because BJ has greatly improved his standup. I still give the edge to GSP.

Wrestling....I agree that GSP has better wrestling but I think that BJ has the better takedown defense which will make GSPs wrestling look not so great.

Ground game....Obvioulsy BJ is on a completely different level BJJ wise and there is nothing that GSP can do about that. Even on top, GSP will have problems because BJs flexibility makes it very difficult to inflict alot of damage.

Weight.....Will not make much difference. BJ has fought comfortably all the way up to heavy weight. I mean he fought Machida at 205 and almost beat him, so the weight difference will not matter. I give the cardio edge to GSP but BJs cardio has GREATLY improved.

Chin....BJ definately wins in this category. He has always been able to take a huge amount of punches without being dazed or even rocked and without the least bit of visible damage. GSP on the other hand has been rocked many times, as we saw with Serra.

Strength...This will obviously go to GSP...he has crazy strength, but BJ is very good at using your strength against you...hence the BJJ.

Mind....BJ has got a huge advantage here. Granted, GSP has matured and changed his mindset, but I don't think he gets the same focus that BJ does.

And as far as all of the guys saying that BJ needs to stay at LW, that is just ridiculous. I mean, if a guy can come in and walk through a weight class, he needs to move up. Just like Anderson Silva needs to move on past MW because there is nothing there for him. Sure, if BJ just wants to dominate a class he should stay in LW. But a true fighter wants to fight the best guys out there and for him to do that, he needs to move up. Whether or not he beats GSP, he could walk through the majority of everyone else at 170, so how can you say he doesn't belong there?

Shiz, I know we have a difference of opinions on BJ, but I think my reply is very open minded. After all, GSP is my second favorite fighter....that is why I want to see this fight so much!!
      "He woke up because I kept punching him in the face." --Thiago Alves

"I'm telling you, once your car's been stolen, it never runs the same again. It's like a guy sleeping with your girl. He leaves his mark all over her."- Drama (Entourage)

angryoldman is offline Platinum
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

I honestly think Penn has the better hands, but St Pierre has every other category won. I'll pick St Pierre.
      “I don't look ahead... I keep focused on my next opponent. I am looking forward to my next opponent, I don't think past that point.”
      --Manny Pacquiao

Big Mike's speach to Congress telling them to phuque off on the steroid ban:

https://www.moviewavs.com/0049230534/...y/statemnt.mp3

Fitnessgeared's resident Smart ass

This user has no status.

I am:
      Geeky

Level

Quote Originally Posted by angryoldman View Post
      I honestly think Penn has the better hands, but St Pierre has every other category won. I'll pick St Pierre.
      I actually think that too, but I didn't want to stir up more bad blood. GSP uses a more variety of strikes, but I think that Bj has the better jabs and kicks.

he got rocked one time on a lucky shot behind the ear
      When I said "many times", I didn't mean all in the Serra fight. He has been rocked quite a few times in fights in the past. It is very rare to find a fight where BJ has been rocked.

It is one of the most anticipated fights since the first one. It will definately be a show od alot of school.

"I'm telling you, once your car's been stolen, it never runs the same again. It's like a guy sleeping with your girl. He leaves his mark all over her."- Drama (Entourage)

Schiznick is offline Senior Resident
      Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 49
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

TN, yeah... youre right... I was waiting! hahaha.. I pretty much agree with you on everything but GSP having the weak chin, he got rocked one time on a lucky shot behind the ear... so I can give you rocked "many times"... but pretty much everything else Im right with you... I also agree with the BJ needs to stay at 155 thing... if he can compete at another weight calss, then why the heck not...

regardless, itll be one of the most anticipated fights of the year, and probably one of the best as well
      "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"...................Benjamin Franklin

schiznick13@yahoo.com

This user has no status.

I am:
      Awesome

Level

THIS IS ONE FIGHT WE ALL NEED TO PUT SOME MONEY ON!!

This user has no status.

I am:
      Geeky

Level

Quote Originally Posted by O2BESOHUGE View Post
      THIS IS ONE FIGHT WE ALL NEED TO PUT SOME MONEY ON!!
      This one is a hard one to bet on if you ask me. I like picking the under dogs when one of my faves aren't in there, but in a situation like this I don't know. It could very easily go either way....but I will stick to my guns and stick with BJ. I just think he will be more focused than ever and a focused BJ is SCARY!!!

2-Swole
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Okay here you go this is my UNBIASED opinion...BJ Penn has better standup and i figure this is obvious! Its not that GSP doesn't have equal striking because that might be BUT he has NO WHERE NEAR THE CHIN as BJ so if they sit there and throw hands and are both connecting then BJ will do more damage. THis is a NO-Brainer. GSP has better wrestling..also a NO-Brainer. GSP is turning more into a wrestler IMO and granted its working for him and he is good at it and has the edge here. Submissions are all BJ by far. GSP has really good submissions but BJ is in an elite group here. We will see what happens in this fight and of course I want BJ to win but GSP won't win if he can't take BJ down. That is a fact. And that prolly wont be a problem like i said GSP is a great wrestler, but we will see how it all works out

MrOntario is offline Established Member
      Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 269
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

I just can't help remembering when Matt Huges beat BJ with that arm over his shoulder and pounding his head. BJ was the last person I would see get caught in such a predicament. BJ gases all the time. I have yet to see St.Pierre gas and thats after he just went 5 rounds. I think he's proved himself.

This user has no status.

I am:
      Geeky

Level

BJ used to gas all of the time. He looks like a totally different fighter now.

Many people are saying that BJ looked much smaller this time than last time and even say that he looked a little tired after the 2nd. I personally didn't see the tiredness, but he didn't look much bigger than BJ at all when they stood next to each other. My GF even said something about that.

Jackson's camp is known to over train their fighters and I am just waiting to see if the move to Jackson's camp is going to end up being a mistake on GSPs part.

This user has no status.

I am:
      Geeky

Level

I meant to say that GSP looked much smaller this time than last.

MAK2102 is offline Established Member
      Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 274
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

One thing I think we need to put out there is that we all agree they are different and better fighters now. But Penn has refocused and rededicated his life to the sport, where in the past he has gone through the motions with training and fighting. I think he is going to suprise a lot of people who think hes going to gas if this fight is anything but standup.
      Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishments.

What lies before me and what lies ahead of me are small compared to what lies within me.

This user has no status.

I am:
      Geeky

Level

Quote Originally Posted by MAK2102 View Post
      One thing I think we need to put out there is that we all agree they are different and better fighters now. But Penn has refocused and rededicated his life to the sport, where in the past he has gone through the motions with training and fighting. I think he is going to suprise a lot of people who think hes going to gas if this fight is anything but standup.

I agree. I mean the guy used to go surfing for his cardio. He didn't run or get on the treadmill or anything....he just used surfing as his cardio. Now he his own trainer and nutritionist that puts his meals together and we all know what kind of difference a correct diet can make.

GSP has greatly improved too, but it can't be used as "the" reason he will win because BJ has also greatly improved.

This user has no status.

I am:
      Awesome

Level

DO THEY HAVE A DATE FOR THIS FIGHT YET?