Michael Neal, shw, who won best heavyweight lifter at the USAPL Raw Challenge at the Arnold Classic, shares his experience about initially testing positive at the event for Methamphetamines and the subsequent overturning of that finding. Neal used an over-the-counter product, Vicks nasal spray, which triggered the positive result.

"I got a letter from USAPL saying I had tested positive for Methamphetamines and would be banned for two years...

I have read warnings for years about over the counter meds and I use very little of anything but sometimes things happen. I think the organization does what it can to provide a very expensive service at a reasonable price, and yes drug testing is a service as it helps to level the playing field. When someone screws up, like me, the cost then has to be placed on them."

This is a little something else I picked up while reading about it:

DO NOT presume that if it is over the counter or prescribed by a Doctor that it is safe to use and you will not fail a drug test!

Even if you tell your Doctor that you are a drug tested athlete, it does not mean that they will not prescribed a banned substance.

Doctors do not learn anything about drug testing in Medical School. They may think they understand it, but unless they do the research they do not. They most likely think if they are not giving you steriods or speed that you will be okay. The truth is many commonly prescribed drugs from inhalors to cough meds to anti-inflamitories will get you busted.

My advice is that EVERY USAPL athlete need to become very familar with one website. It is the USA Antidoping site listed below.
https://www.usantidoping.org/misc/drug_information.aspx

From this page you can find out about almost any medication you may need to take.

In addition everyone should print out the wallet card of banned and permitted substances below.
https://www.usantidoping.org/files/ac...allet_card.pdf

You should take this info to the Doctor everytime you go, than there will be NO mistakes.

Remember, it is your responsibility and you do not want to lose years of your lifting career because on an honest error.