• Join Us!
  • Tyson fight or no, Kimbo is no freakshow
  • Join Us!
  • You have 1 new Private Message Attention Guest, if you are not a member of Fitness Geared - Body Building & Fitness Community, you have 1 new private message waiting, to view it you must fill out this form.
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Thanks Thanks:  0
    Likes Likes:  0
    Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Tyson fight or no, Kimbo is no freakshow

FUZO is offline FUZO
      Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
      Overall activity: 0%
      Awards:
      Posting Award
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Cool

Level
      Blog Entries

Default Tyson fight or no, Kimbo is no freakshow

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

Tyson fight or no, Kimbo is no freakshow
      By Kevin Iole, Yahoo! Sports
      May 16, 6:18 pm EDT

Buzz Up PrintRelated Video UFC 84 preview UFC 84 preview

Watch UFC 84 live on Yahoo! Sports

MMAjunkie: Kimbo vs. Tyson?
      More MMA Videos More From Kevin IoleCarwin could be best of the bunch May 15, 2008 Mailbag: This 'n' that May 13, 2008
      It’s hardly a stretch to suggest that Kimbo Slice is the Mike Tyson of the 21st century. Tyson became a cultural phenomenon in the 1980s with his intimidating visage, powerful punches and almost weekly appearances on ESPN.

Slice shares the same intimidating look and powerful punching, but his vehicle to stardom was the Internet video-sharing site, YouTube.

And while Slice struggles to be taken seriously as a mixed martial artist, calls are increasing for the pulverizing punchers of past and present to meet in a cage. Slice’s promoter, Gary Shaw, said he’s not encouraging such talk, given that Tyson is retired and hasn’t fought in three years.

But Shaw said he owes it to Slice to consider the bout if Tyson, who appears to weigh nearly 300 pounds and hasn’t had a win in more than five years, would agree to it.

“Call it a freak show or a circus or whatever you want, but it would be the most-watched pay-per-view event ever,” Shaw said.

There’s little doubt of Slice’s importance to Elite XC, the mixed martial arts promotional company that Shaw runs.

On the most important card in mixed martial arts history, it’s almost irrelevant what middleweight champion Robbie Lawler does. Or his challenger, Scott Smith. Or what all but one of the other athletes who will compete in the Elite XC show on May 31 at the Prudential Center may do.

ADVERTISEMENT

The success or failure of that show, and, perhaps with it, the company, will depend upon the performance of Slice. He is in the main event of the live first MMA show to be broadcast on network television for a reason.

He’s there, fighting James Thompson, because of the 2,065,443 views the nine-minute video, “The Best of Kimbo Slice,” got on YouTube.

He’s there because of the 2,163,315 who went to the site to watch his bare knuckles street fight with a guy known only as Adryan.

He’s there because of the 2,313,241 who saw him lose his only one of these types of bouts to a Boston policeman, Sean Gannon.

If only those people who have watched Slice’s backyard fights on the Internet tune in to watch him tear apart Thompson on CBS on May 31, it will go a long way toward stabilizing Elite XC and establishing it as a viable alternative to the UFC.

Elite XC has been bleeding money and conceded in a recent filing with the Securities & Exchange Commission that it has lost in excess of $27 million in little more than a year. It may not, it admits in the filing, have the money to make it through the year.

Slice, whose real name is Kevin Ferguson, is the one person who can reverse that. If he brings the more than 10 million sets of eyeballs who viewed his street fights on YouTube to CBS, it could change the landscape on the MMA scene.

Both Slice and Elite XC are in awkward positions, though. He’s an extraordinarily powerful puncher, but he is only in the infancy of his days as a mixed martial artist. It takes years to become a competent and well-rounded mixed martial artist and Slice still has much work to do.

That’s why he’s been fed a series of tomato cans since turning professional. In his first bout with Elite XC, he fought Bo Cantrell, who was so intimidated he was tapping, it seemed, when Slice gave him a dirty look. He was then matched with early UFC brawling legend Tank Abbott, who had won exactly one fight in 10 years and had been routinely knocked out early.

Most matchmakers have the luxury of developing their quality prospects slowly and exposing them to a variety of styles. But Slice was a headliner from his first day in MMA, which changes the way he has to be matched.

“There is an ‘it’ factor that some guys have and some don’t, and Kimbo has it,” promoter Gary Shaw said. “Oscar De La Hoya has it. He is still a superstar, even though he doesn’t have superstar skills any more. Tyson has it. When Tyson walks into an arena, the place still erupts. I’ve been to a high-class steakhouse with Kimbo and I’ve seen it.

People, not just the young kids, all stand up and say, ‘Kimbo! Hey, there’s Kimbo!’

“You could take most of the best fighters in the world and have them walk into a place like that and the maître d would say, ‘OK, we’ll have a table for you in 40 minutes.’ Kimbo is a superstar right now, and he’s only going to get bigger.”

The problem is that Slice is being treated like a curiosity more than a developing athlete. Shaw spent much of the last few days answering questions about whether he’d pair Slice with Tyson and Eric “Butterbean” Esch, a 400-pounder whose shtick was being billed as “The King of the Four-Rounders,” rather than about whether he’d pair him with a competent and trained MMA fighter.

Tyson has never trained in MMA, hasn’t boxed since June 22, 2005, and hasn’t won a fight in more than five years. He looks like he weighs close to 300 pounds and only recently got out of a drug and alcohol rehabilitation center.

Asking a promoter if he’d want his fighter to face Tyson is like asking a 20-something male if he’d like to date Scarlett Johansson. Well, duh!

A fight with Tyson would mean huge money, but it would be more carnival act than serious competition.

And Elite XC needs to steer Slice away from the carnival act side of the business and convince a skeptical public that he’s a real fighter.

His highly regarded trainer, former UFC heavyweight champion Bas Rutten, believes that he is. Rutten said he hopes Thompson can push Slice in the May 31 bout so he can gauge where he is.

But Rutten said he believes Slice could be ready for top 10-type fighters as soon as perhaps two or three more bouts.

“We’re building a fighter here, and we’re building a fighter who is going to be very formidable before not too long,” Rutten said. “He’s worked extremely hard. He was a hard puncher when I first saw him, but he’s improved his striking greatly. His footwork, his reach and his torque are all greatly improved.

“He’s working on his submissions. That’s the area he’s most green, but he’s learning. People said I was just a striker, but more than half of my wins were by submission. It can be learned. He’s already very good with his takedown defenses and his escapes and reversals are surprisingly good.”

There are critics, to be sure. UFC president Dana White bemoaned the fact that Slice will headline on CBS during a conference call on Thursday. White said he wanted to make certain that when MMA first appeared on network television, it was with fighters who upheld the sport’s image and traditions.

He said his worst fears are being imagined as Elite XC parades Slice out front and center.

“To have CBS, a big network like that, move forward with a guy like Kimbo Slice headlining it, there’s no secret that’s what I tried to stay away from,” White said. “Kimbo Slice isn’t a mixed martial artist. This guy was fighting in your backyard three months ago and now he’s going to be headlining on CBS. Personally, I think it sucks.”

Slice eschews the notion he doesn’t belong in the national spotlight. He’s been cast in some corners as a hoodlum, but shrugs off the portrayals as inaccurate.

He is, he insists, serious about becoming a complete MMA fighter and not just a guy who can capitalize on a gangster image.

“I don’t live a thug life,” Slice told the Ventura County Star. “We go to church on Sundays … spend family time together. I don’t portray a thug image.”

And he shouldn’t be portrayed as a sideshow fighter, which is how fights with men such as Tyson and Butterbean, would cast him.

He’ll have a short shelf life if that’s how he’s matched. The hard-core fans will always be captivated, but the general public who, as Rutten says, have no idea who Fedor Emelianenko is, will soon move to other things.

But if Rutten is correct and Slice can become one of the world’s elite heavyweights, he’ll not only save Elite XC, but he also can play a pivotal role in legitimizing MMA to the masses.

Matchmaking for Slice is critical.

“We don’t want him to be treated like a circus act, because he’s not,” Rutten said. “He’s a legitimate fighter who is working extremely hard – I mean as hard as anyone I’ve ever seen – and who is getting better so quickly. Kimbo is a nice, respectful person to everyone he meets and he’s taking the sport super seriously. He deserves that same kind of respect in return.”
      Disclaimer: Steroid use is illegal in a vast number of countries around the world. This is not without reason. Steroids should only be used when prescribed by your doctor and under close supervision. Steroid use is not to be taken lightly and we do not in any way endorse or approve of illegal drug use. The information is provided on the same basis as all the other information on this site, as informational/entertainment value.

Please take the time to read these threads!

Fitness Geared Shoutbox rules

FG member signature rules

Fitness Geared Forum Rules

https://www.fitnessgeared.com/forum/f334/

https://www.fitnessgeared.com/forum/f283/

https://www.tgbsupplements.com/

FUZO is offline FUZO
      Awards:
      Posting Award
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Cool

Level
      Blog Entries

Default Re: Tyson fight or no, Kimbo is no freakshow

IF TYSON CAN GET BACK IN SHAPE HE WILL BEAT KIMBO HANDS DOWN NO PROBLEM. TYSON DIDNT BECOME THE HEAVY WIEGHT CHAMP BY WATCHING TV.PLUS KIMBOS FIGHT AGAINST MERCER WAS IT WHAT A JOKE. PUT KIMBO ON THERE WITH A TRUE MMA FIGHTER KIMBO WOULD LOSE BADLY.PLUS THE MONEY TYSON WOULD WANT WOULD BE ATLEAST A FEW MILLION CAN YOU IMAGINE HOW MUCH PAY PERVIEW MONEY THAT WOULD MAKE
      Disclaimer: Steroid use is illegal in a vast number of countries around the world. This is not without reason. Steroids should only be used when prescribed by your doctor and under close supervision. Steroid use is not to be taken lightly and we do not in any way endorse or approve of illegal drug use. The information is provided on the same basis as all the other information on this site, as informational/entertainment value.

trefling is offline Rookie Member
      Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 145
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

kimbo would destroy tyson, or atleast I think so

tn94z is offline Platinum
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Geeky

Level

As much as I don't like Kimbo, I would have to say that if this went down Kimbo would probably win. It is just another story of Kimbo fighting a lot of cans. Tyson? Come on Kimbo...I thought you were out of this kind of crap. Prove yourself. Stick with MMA and skip the freakshows. Tyson is going to make a ton off of Kimbo's name and it will not help Kimbo in MMA at all. How washed up is Tyson?
      "He woke up because I kept punching him in the face." --Thiago Alves

"I'm telling you, once your car's been stolen, it never runs the same again. It's like a guy sleeping with your girl. He leaves his mark all over her."- Drama (Entourage)

FUZO is offline FUZO
      Awards:
      Posting Award
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Cool

Level
      Blog Entries

TYSONS MENTAL HEALTH IS WHAT DESTROYED HIM NOT HIS ABILITY TO BOX. HIS HEAD WAS IN A BAD PLACE AND NO ONE COULD OF FIXED IT THATS THE SAD PART. BUT HE LIVED LIKE A KING FOR ABOUT 15-20 YRS

MAK2102 is offline Established Member
      Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 274
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Are they talking about MMA rules or stand up boxing? Didnt reallly read through the whole thing.
      Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishments.

What lies before me and what lies ahead of me are small compared to what lies within me.

FUZO is offline FUZO
      Awards:
      Posting Award
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Cool

Level
      Blog Entries

MMA

mpresiv is offline Rookie Member
      Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 125
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

I've been a fan of Tysons since I was old enough to know who he was. I do believe Kimbo would beat him simply because Mike is way past his prime and mental ability to fight. Back when he beat trevor berbick at age 20 up til he came out of prison he was the baddest man on the planet. Lots of things happened in mike's life that destroyed his career. He wouldnt stand a chance with kimbo. Back when mike was in the boxing ring last he told the press " if an opponent like this (the guy who fought him) can beat me I dont even need to be in the ring, Im retiring"...lol.

MAK2102 is offline Established Member
      Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 274
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Tyson would have a good chance on his feet but under MMA rules I dont know,
      Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishments.

What lies before me and what lies ahead of me are small compared to what lies within me.

DeezGunz23
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

MMA kimbo would kill tyson

boxing, kimbo would win, but it would take some rounds

tyson is over the hill and kimbo is in his prime, tyson couldnt take one of those kimbo punches and personally i think tyson would ish himself when that big monster kimbo steps into the ring...

Stackt is offline FG Resident
      Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 502
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Tyson would kill Kimbo in his prime .....as of right now Tyson would lose and he's not mentally up there (drugs ,depression ,annxiety ,etc) If its no holds bar anything goes I would love to see Tyson bite another ear off or whatever I'll pay : )
      "Workout each rep till I drop the uglyiest , meanest face"

jipped genes is offline VET
      Overall activity: 49.0%
      Achievements:
      First 1000 Experience PointsGot three Friends
      is El Burro!

I am:
      ----

Level

why? kimbo has already fought and destroyed one washed up old boxer, its time for him to fight a "bigfoot" silva or rodriguez not another can.

tyson wouldnt last a minute, kimbo has been training his ground game full time for over a year and tyson would be like a ****er spaniel in the jaws of a pitbull
      "SHIAT BIOTCH, thats a big ass!"

A clear concience is a sign of a bad memory.

husband of the year

moose riding maple syrup drinking flanel wearing canuck wannabe

FUZO is offline FUZO
      Awards:
      Posting Award
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Cool

Level
      Blog Entries

I'D LIKE TO SEE HIM FIGHT RODRIGUEZ

supasaiyan99 is offline Elite Senior Resident
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Kimbo would eat Tyson. As Bas said though, no time for freak shows. Kimbo needs to fight guys in the lower rankings and work his way up to the top 10 fighters. Kimo needs to start off fighting someone like Andrei Arlovski or Jeff Monson.
      NO PAIN, NO GAIN
      KNOW PAIN, KNOW GAIN

tn94z is offline Platinum
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Geeky

Level

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

Obviously if its MMA Kimbo will win...I mean Tyson has probably never heard of BJJ or Muay Thai....boxing Kimbo would win too but just because Tyson would not take it seriously. Tyson has one thing on his mind here and that is a paycheck. Kimbo will still get paid more even if Tyson wins so Tyson will care less....as a matter of fact, it would probably end quickly because Tyson wouldn't want to take too much abuse...he is in it for the money and I honestly can't believe that Kimbo would take such a circus fight. Stick to MMA and try to get to the top...stop screwing with all this meaningless crap. To me, if Kimbo destroyed Tyson it wouldn't help his credibility any at all....this is a joke.
      "He woke up because I kept punching him in the face." --Thiago Alves

"I'm telling you, once your car's been stolen, it never runs the same again. It's like a guy sleeping with your girl. He leaves his mark all over her."- Drama (Entourage)