• Join Us!
  • 2 States in Jeopardy With Federal ID Law
  • Join Us!
  • You have 1 new Private Message Attention Guest, if you are not a member of Fitness Geared - Body Building & Fitness Community, you have 1 new private message waiting, to view it you must fill out this form.
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Thanks Thanks:  0
    Likes Likes:  0
    Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: 2 States in Jeopardy With Federal ID Law

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
      straydoglogic is offline Platinum
      Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 382
      Overall activity: 0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Default 2 States in Jeopardy With Federal ID Law

https://www.nytimes.com/20...

2 States in Jeopardy With Federal ID Law

By KATIE ZEZIMA
      Published: March 29, 2008

Starting in May, driver’s licenses issued in Maine and South Carolina may not be accepted as identification at airports and federal buildings unless the states work out a last-minute agreement with the federal Department of Homeland Security.

The states are refusing to ask the agency to extend the deadline for applying new layers of security in their identification systems as required under the federal Real ID Act. Congress passed the legislation in 2005 with the intention of making it harder for terrorists to obtain driver’s licenses.

The final Real ID regulations were released Jan. 11, and states have until Monday to request an extension of the compliance date. Without an extension, driver’s licenses from Maine and South Carolina will no longer be deemed valid as identification at airports and federal buildings starting May 11, the original date of compliance. As an alternative, travelers could use passports.

“If an individual shows up at an airport on May 11 or later and their licenses are from any state not in compliance, it’s effectively showing up without federal identification of any kind,” said Amy Kudwa, a spokeswoman for the Department of Homeland Security. “Individuals in those scenarios will have to have added security and screening.”

Maine and South Carolina are among a number of states that have passed laws barring participation in the Real ID program. The others have all won extensions, and Maine and South Carolina hope to be granted extensions as well, without formally requesting them.

Many states are concerned about cost, privacy and the federal government’s encroaching on a program traditionally left to the states.

This past week, extensions were granted to Montana and New Hampshire after their governors sent letters to the Department of Homeland Security detailing steps taken to tighten license security. The governors refused to ask for a waiver because, they said, state law prohibited any participation in the program. The agency granted each state a waiver anyway, saying the plans passed muster.

Gov. John E. Baldacci of Maine, a Democrat, sent a similar letter this week, and his office is in ongoing negotiations with the department. A spokesman for Gov. Mark Sanford of South Carolina, a Republican, said he would likely send some type of correspondence Monday.

“There is no wiggle room in South Carolina law in terms of asking for an extension,” Joel Sawyer, the spokesman, said. “If Washington wants a more secure form of ID, then Washington ought to be able to pay for it.”

Don Cookson, a spokesman for Maine’s secretary of state, Matthew Dunlap, who oversees the state’s Bureau of Motor Vehicles, said privacy was a major concern, as license information would be pooled into a federal database. Mr. Cookson said the state hoped for an extension.

“People are calling us, bothered at the notion that they will need a federally issued U.S. passport for domestic travel,” Mr. Cookson said.

How to handle states with laws prohibiting the carrying out of Real ID will be an issue for the next administration. The extension is good until Oct. 11, 2009, at which time states can apply for even more time. According to the law, all states must start issuing licenses that meet the law’s standards by Jan. 1, 2010.

Jeff Monroe, director of ports and transportation for the city of Portland, Me., said increased security requirements would heavily affect the relatively small Portland Jetport.

“We are wondering how in heaven’s name we are going to deal with having to put up a fair amount of secondary screening,” Mr. Monroe said.

Fliers at the Jetport who have Maine licenses would be plucked out of security lines to undergo additional screening, and all fliers would need to arrive at least two hours before boarding, he said.

“We absolutely recognize what the federal government wants to get accomplished,” he said. “What I hope does not happen is that the traveling public does not get inconvenienced in the middle of these conversations.”

horsepwr is offline Elite Senior Resident
      Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
      Overall activity: 8.0%
      is just chillin

I am:
      Happy

Level

Default Re: 2 States in Jeopardy With Federal ID Law

I stayed in South Carolina for a couple years when I did GIS for power companies. They need somebody to light a fire under their ass. I spent 2 full days in Columbia, SC because of their stupid slow asses. And there ain't no giveing them a call to resolve an issue with your license. No one will answer the phone, literally.

The whole problem started when I got pulled over and listened to one of their city cops where I was, tell me that because I had an apartment there that I had to have a license from there. He was wrong. I wasn't a SC resident, but I listened to him and went thru hell doing it. Then last year I got a letter and had to pay $2,700 SC state taxes from listening to that dum****. We don't have those state taxes in FL. He really fuked me up. I'm glad I didn't claim residency in every state that I worked in. Fukkin jackass pig fukface diksniffer. South Carolina...thank *** I'm outa that state. No offense to anyone from there. There's worse. I spent 8 months in Mississippi. The MS Delta at that. I learned why that's where the blues was born.
      1 up

Go Gators

straydoglogic is offline Platinum
      Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 382
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

lol..i lived on the MS gulf coast for five years...i just dont care for the south much at all..no offense to anyone but im just a new england boy..

solidground is offline FG Resident
      Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 90
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

good for them, wish my state would do the same
      (candidates@google:ron paul )

FUZO is offline FUZO
      Awards:
      Posting Award
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Cool

Level
      Blog Entries

SO THEN WHAT EVERYONE HAS TO GET A PASS PORT THEN IF I READ THAT RIGHT ITS STUPID A DL SHOULD BE FINE ANYWHERE IF IT HAS A BAR CODE ON IT
      Disclaimer: Steroid use is illegal in a vast number of countries around the world. This is not without reason. Steroids should only be used when prescribed by your doctor and under close supervision. Steroid use is not to be taken lightly and we do not in any way endorse or approve of illegal drug use. The information is provided on the same basis as all the other information on this site, as informational/entertainment value.

Please take the time to read these threads!

Fitness Geared Shoutbox rules

FG member signature rules

Fitness Geared Forum Rules

https://www.fitnessgeared.com/forum/f334/

https://www.fitnessgeared.com/forum/f283/

https://www.tgbsupplements.com/

horsepwr is offline Elite Senior Resident
      Overall activity: 8.0%
      is just chillin

I am:
      Happy

Level

It's just those states that haven't been capable of updating their IDs for whatever reason; no money, no resources, time...whatever. The government will give them all the time they need. Those 2 states just haven't asked for it. Or finally did at the very last minute.

It's a federal law for more secure IDs. Better IDs & DL, and tighter procedures. We got new upgraded cards 3-4yrs ago. They're pretty cool actually, compared to the old school ones.
      1 up

Go Gators