• Join Us!
  • Anderson Silva wants to box Roy Jones Jr!!
  • Join Us!

• Get the Fitness Geared Forum App Now!

• Join Us!
  • Join Us!
  • You have 1 new Private Message Attention Guest, if you are not a member of Fitness Geared - Body Building & Fitness Community, you have 1 new private message waiting, to view it you must fill out this form.
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Thanks Thanks:  0
    Likes Likes:  0
    Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Anderson Silva wants to box Roy Jones Jr!!

tn94z is offline Platinum
      Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
      Overall activity: 0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Geeky

Level

Default Anderson Silva wants to box Roy Jones Jr!!

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

ANDERSON SILVA DOES WANT TO BOX ROY JONES, JR.
      Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - by Ken Pishna - Source:MMA WEEKLY -MMA WEEKLY - Mixed Martial Arts & UFC News, Photos, Rankings & more

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since joining the ranks of the Ultimate Fighting Championship less than two years ago, middleweight champion Anderson Silva has all but cleaned house. He debuted with a dismantling of highly touted Ultimate Fighter alumnus Chris Leben, immediately captured the title from then-champion Rich Franklin, and hasn’t looked back since.

He fended off challenges by Ultimate Fighter season four winner Travis Lutter and seven-time King of Pancrase Nate Marquardt, before once again stopping Franklin. Most recently, at UFC 82, he submitted former Pride champion Dan Henderson to solidify his position as the No. 1 middleweight in the world.

In short, Silva appears unstoppable.

There are still challenges for him to face in the Octagon – Yushin Okami springs immediately to mind and a much touted drop to welterweight to challenge Georges St. Pierre – but he may soon be looking to another challenge, outside of his chosen sport.

“Anderson really would love to fight Roy Jones, Jr. in a boxing match,” says his manager, Ed Soares, confirming recent speculation. “It’s not just talk, we really would like to put that fight together.”

That’s not to say the Silva discounts Jones’ abilities. Both he and Jones are often argued as being the best pound-for-pound fighter in their respective sports. But Silva feels that fighters in mixed martial arts are often unjustly criticized as not being as technically proficient as their boxing counterparts, a misconception that he would like to dispel.

“We respect Jones’ boxing ability and think he’s one of the best,” said Soares, “but we’re tired of different boxers saying that MMA fighters aren’t technical. Anderson would love to fight Roy Jones in a boxing match under boxing rules to prove that MMA fighters are technical, too.”

There has been much chatter in the past about Jones stepping into the Octagon to fight; something that he spoke to BoxingScene.com’s Mark Vester about last year, saying, “Now, I can't get on the ground and start wrestling because I know nothing about that. But if I hit him before he gets to the ground, he's not going to get up and have the chance to wrestle."

Unlike many boxers, Jones has actually had a lot of positives to say about the sport, as he told Vester, “UFC is the best fighting the best and that’s what boxing has to do. If you are an ultimate fighter, you are going to fight someone who is going to fight. In UFC, if you lose to a good fighter, you lost, you still know you are good fighter, and you come back the next day and fight again. In boxing, if you lose and that's it. You are done. I lose a few fights, they want to tell me I'm washed up and I don't have it no more."

Thus far though, Jones hasn’t commented about fighting a mixed martial artist on his terms, in his ring. Whether it ever becomes a reality or not, it is a fight that would surely be marquee both for boxing aficionados and mixed martial arts purists alike.
      I personally think this would be a big mistake on Anderson's part. It's not that I think he can't win, but the chances are VERY slim!!!

This user has no status.

I am:
      Geeky

Level

Default Re: Anderson Silva wants to box Roy Jones Jr!!

This story has some serious legs. First it was Anderson Silva’s comments during the post fight interview at UFC 82 after defeating Dan Henderson when he said he would like to box. Then it’s his manager Ed Soares coming out and telling Sherdog that Silva is dead serious about boxing and that he’d like to fight Roy Jones, Jr. And now Soares is stirring the pot again according to MMA Weekly:

“I just spoke with Roy Jones’ management and they are very interested in it. They think it would break all kinds of pay-per-view records. It all kind of started as a dream of Anderson’s, but if the UFC would back it, it is something that we really would like to pursue.”

Jones’ management indicated that this could be a fight that would bring together the fractured factions of boxing and mixed martial arts. “They think it will actually bring together the boxing and MMA communities,” said Soares.

Jones is currently headed out of the country until next week, but his management told Soares that he was “flattered and excited” by Silva’s interest in a boxing match with him. The parties are expected to talk again once Jones returns.

Where the hell is Dana White while all this is going down? I’d love to hear what he has to say about all this. He’s been all for a boxer stepping into the Octagon, but what about his prize champion stepping into the boxing ring with one of the all-time greats? You have to think it won’t be too long until Dana weighs in on this topic in order to either squash it or promote it. The question is which side will he take?
      Just more quotes

O2BESOHUGE is offline ADMINISTRATOR
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Awesome

Level

WHAT IF HE LOST??
      ..“Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same.”

FUZO is offline FUZO
      Awards:
      Posting Award
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Cool

Level
      Blog Entries

I'LL TAKE $500 ON ROY JONES IF THIS FIGHT HAPPENS IN THE NEXT 3-6 MONTHS. ANYTHING LONGER THEN A YEAR FORGET IT.
      Disclaimer: Steroid use is illegal in a vast number of countries around the world. This is not without reason. Steroids should only be used when prescribed by your doctor and under close supervision. Steroid use is not to be taken lightly and we do not in any way endorse or approve of illegal drug use. The information is provided on the same basis as all the other information on this site, as informational/entertainment value.

Please take the time to read these threads!

Fitness Geared Shoutbox rules

FG member signature rules

Fitness Geared Forum Rules

https://www.fitnessgeared.com/forum/f334/

https://www.fitnessgeared.com/forum/f283/

https://www.tgbsupplements.com/

kite is offline Elite Senior Resident
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

It'll never happen. There's too many issues with contracts, money, etc..... it's just publicity and **** talkin.

This user has no status.

I am:
      Geeky

Level

The only way it won't happen is if Dana White won't let it. I don't think he will. Think of it this way..if Anderson Wins it's not really that big of a deal to the UFC. But if Anderson loses, the UFC takes a big hit credibility wise. Everyone already thinks that MMA is stronger than boxing, but if he loses then that would flip the tables...unless there was a clause in there that stated Roy Jones had to give Anderson a rematch in the octagon.

But i am with you...I don't think it will happen. But they are trying their best!!

Merc is offline Elite FG Resident
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

I dont think it will ever happen

mpresiv is offline Rookie Member
      Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 125
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

It wont ever happen. I think it wouild be a bad move on silva's part.

Merc is offline Elite FG Resident
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

There is to much at risk, White would be a fool to let it happen

angryoldman is offline Platinum
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

That would be the single worst annhilation Jones ever put on someone. And I've literally watched every fight he ever fought. I seen him break Virgil Hill's rib with a single body shot. That's nothing compared to what he would do to Silva.
      “I don't look ahead... I keep focused on my next opponent. I am looking forward to my next opponent, I don't think past that point.”
      --Manny Pacquiao

Big Mike's speach to Congress telling them to phuque off on the steroid ban:

https://www.moviewavs.com/0049230534/...y/statemnt.mp3

Fitnessgeared's resident Smart ass

Stackt is offline FG Resident
      Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 502
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

^yes Jones would toy him and put on a dancing show !
      "Workout each rep till I drop the uglyiest , meanest face"

angryoldman is offline Platinum
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Quote Originally Posted by Stackt View Post
      ^yes Jones would toy him and put on a dancing show !
      That's always the problem with these MMA and Pro Boxers. Tyson, Roy Jones, Michael Grant, Lennox Lewis, you name it. Throughout their amateur careers, their trainers keep telling you "You're the best champ!! No one can take you!! You da man!" So, you win 10 fights. All the while, your trainers are saying "You da man champ!! NO ONE can beat you!!"
      Your ego gets a little bigger, you win another 10 fights, now your 20-0. All the while, NOW the newspapers and your trainers are saying "You da man!! Unstoppable baby!!!"
      UNTIL, that phantom left or right hook takes you. After that, you're never the same ever again. Case in point, every boxer I mentioned in the 2nd sentence. After you go down once, you doubt yourself. "What did I do wrong? How did that happen? I'm the man dam it!" First fight back after your loss, you're more cautious than ever. Your fighting style in 90% different. Case in point, Roy Jones, Michael Grant, and several others. Soon after, they retire.
      Silva is heading down that same path. Only faster. If he gets in with Jones Jr, and Roy boxes the living fukk out of him, Silva is a done fighter in MMA.
      “I don't look ahead... I keep focused on my next opponent. I am looking forward to my next opponent, I don't think past that point.”
      --Manny Pacquiao

Big Mike's speach to Congress telling them to phuque off on the steroid ban:

https://www.moviewavs.com/0049230534/...y/statemnt.mp3

Fitnessgeared's resident Smart ass

This user has no status.

I am:
      Geeky

Level

Quote Originally Posted by angryoldman View Post
      That's always the problem with these MMA and Pro Boxers. Tyson, Roy Jones, Michael Grant, Lennox Lewis, you name it. Throughout their amateur careers, their trainers keep telling you "You're the best champ!! No one can take you!! You da man!" So, you win 10 fights. All the while, your trainers are saying "You da man champ!! NO ONE can beat you!!"
      Your ego gets a little bigger, you win another 10 fights, now your 20-0. All the while, NOW the newspapers and your trainers are saying "You da man!! Unstoppable baby!!!"
      UNTIL, that phantom left or right hook takes you. After that, you're never the same ever again. Case in point, every boxer I mentioned in the 2nd sentence. After you go down once, you doubt yourself. "What did I do wrong? How did that happen? I'm the man dam it!" First fight back after your loss, you're more cautious than ever. Your fighting style in 90% different. Case in point, Roy Jones, Michael Grant, and several others. Soon after, they retire.
      Silva is heading down that same path. Only faster. If he gets in with Jones Jr, and Roy boxes the living fukk out of him, Silva is a done fighter in MMA.

I don't necessarily agree with that. Even if Roy Jones beat Silva, he wouldn't be done in the MMA because that is a totally different sport. I can see where you are coming from if it were the same sport he was coming back into. The difference is in boxing once you lose a fight or two, you just about get written off. In MMA you can lose 4 or 5 fights and still have an opportunity to fight for the belt. Silva is going to dominate MMA for a while. The only person I can see beating him is Lutter. Unless he moves up in weight and then he stands the chance of getting KO'd. But I watched a training video of him sparring with Big Nog and he was beating Big Nog pretty badly in standup and taking his best shots. Roy Jones is my favorite fighter of all time....but his last fight looked like he just doesn't have it like he used to. I wouldn't be surprised to see this boxing match go a few rounds....but I don't know that Silva would beat him.

jipped genes is offline VET
      Overall activity: 49.0%
      Achievements:
      First 1000 Experience PointsGot three Friends
      is El Burro!

I am:
      ----

Level

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

jones looked underwhelming against trinidad. when was the last time he finished a fight. i disagree with the concensus, i think silva would do well.

his reach is better, he has shown to have power, jones is past his prime, silva is pinpoint accurate.

this would not be a blowout by any means, no way would jones KO silva with 14 oz gloves
      "SHIAT BIOTCH, thats a big ass!"

A clear concience is a sign of a bad memory.

husband of the year

moose riding maple syrup drinking flanel wearing canuck wannabe