What drives us?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I remember when I was in middle school and just starting to play basketball, I really didn't think of winning but just to do well. Pretty much not to embarrass myself! As the years progressed I still had this mentality and still did well in football and basketball but was never serious like I should have. Why was I like this?

First, my mother and father divorced when I was 11 years old so there was no support or any attention when I did my sports. Our teams SUCKED! Coaching staff was a joke and the other kids felt the same as I did.

Then I started to work out with weights when I was 16 years old. I started to put some size on my skinny frame and then something funny happened. I started to get attention from girls in school. I was an ugly S.O.B. and this really gave me self confidence. When I turned 17 years old I decided to go into a bodybuilding competition. I had no clue about dieting and worse yet, I didn't tan or shave and rarely trained my legs. Out of 12 kids at the height class I took third place. Holy ****! I have never won a trophy in my life and with the applause from the audience. It was the greatest feeling ever.

I met this guy named Wally Stamper who at the time was getting ready for a power lifting meet in Germany. He was the first guy I met that could bench 500 lbs. (before bench shirts) and he weighted 181. He had such a presence about him. A lot of confidence and he drew attention where ever he would go. He asked if I would like to train with him and I jumped on the opportunity. I went into my first power lifting meet when I was 18 and benched 350 and dead lifted 500 at a bodyweight of 198. I remember many people coming to me and asking me how I trained, where I trained and the girls asked if I was single. (they were in their 20's or 30's)

So where am I going with this? It's attention! If we as power lifters never received any attention, we wouldn't do it! There is nothing better then to have people screaming for you when you are in the middle of a platform ready to show them what you are about. Let's face it, professional athletes love the money but they really love the spot light. I know, you guys are probably saying that you do it to improve your health. (bull-****) Why are you improving your health? Because there is nothing better then to hear someone give you a compliment, THAT'S WHY!! If people told you that you looked great being a fat ass then by God you would eat Crispe Creams from dusk till dawn.

Not all of us can be champions right? Why not! I know you have probably heard, there always someone out there that is better then you! I say this, are they even going to be at the stage that you are on at that particular time? Better yet, who gives a rat's ass! If someone beats me then I will train my ass off to beat him next time. Records are meant to be broken! Games are played to see who is the better team! We are at competition with other employees that want our position at our jobs. Life in general is a competition. If we do not give it our all, WE WILL FAIL! Do you remember who took second from the Super Bowl last year? See what I mean.

What ever your game is, what ever motivates you, GO BALLS OUT! My biggest fear is when I grow old, will I have memories of failure or resenting that I didn't go that extra mile to succeed!