Things I Have Learned Going from Bodybuilding to Powerlifting

A lot of you know that I decided to go into powerlifting after being a life long bodybuilder. I love it more than bodybuilding and have really gotten an education doing it. This is a partial list of the top of my head of things I have learned in my transition of the last several months:

The only limits are what you set on yourself. You have to readjust your perspective of what is heavy and what isn't. Setting limits on yourself is something I did when bodybuilding, but I have a new perspective on my limitations now.

Try and train with stronger people. This goes right along with the above statement. Before I started training with Joe, Bill and Gary I had a number in my mind of what was heavy for me......now seeing theset guys throw around weight has destroyed that image of heavy. Stronger people are also good to have as friends in case you need something moved.....right Gary?

Make sure you can trust your training partners. When squatting or benching you are relying on your partners to spot you and make sure you don't hurt yourself. If you don't trust them....your lifts will suffer.

A 5lbs Personal Record is better than no Personal Record.

When you do your Max Effort work, the strain when you do your max set is more important than getting the lift. The strain is what affects the CNS to recruit more muscle fibers.

Technique, technique, technique. Everyday I try and refine my technique. It is the most important thing in powerlifting. Look at it this way....if you are trying to squat 1200lbs....one technique flaw and you could be dead.

On Max Effort day do whatever you can to get the weight up....technique is reinforced more on DE day.

Speed is king. The faster and more explosive you become....the stronger you can become.

Explode all weights with maximum SAFE force. This goes for bodybuilders to. It recruits more muscle fibers and teaches the body to turn on the motor units quickly.

Constantly reevaluate your strengths and weaknesses. Always work to make your weakness a strength and then reassess your weakness.

You can never know too much. Make sure you remain an ACTIVE student in not only powerlifting, but in life.

Try new things. Do things that you would otherwise dismiss just to see if they work. Don't be afraid to switch your training up if it isn't working.

Buy "Supertraining" and "The Science and Practice of Strength Training." You will learn something every time you pick up these books.

Read everything by Mel Siff, Dave Tate, Louis Simmons, Verkoshansky, Bompa, Medvedyev, Laputin and Bill Starr.

Recuperation is really important in your training. Make sure you don't overtrain....make sure you eat and rest to recover for your next workout.

Alternating temperature showers are a great rehab tool.....aim the water at a sore body part and put the temp to cold for 30 sec...hot for 30 sec....cold....etc for a couple times....it will flush blood in and out of the muscle and help it heal.

Learn how to arch when you bench. It will take inches of your stroke. I really recommend Metal Militia's Advanced Bench DVD to learn all the technique of this.

Tuck your elbows when you bench.

Strengthen your Triceps. The inner head is the head of the tricep that you get your power from. Make that stronger...people always seem to strain a shoulder or a pec, but the tris are durable....make them stronger for your bench.

The Posterior Chain (hamstrings, glutes, lowerback) is the most important bodyparts for functional strength. We will include the abdominals in this as well.

Learn to sit back when you squat. You will use more low back, glutes and hams when you squat like this. These muscles are stronger than quads alone.

When squatting wide, invest in power briefs. They will save the wear and tear on your hips.

In 3 years of training, Mike Miller has a 1200 squat an 800 bench and hasn't even got his technique down on the deadlifts.....can you say a 3000 total? Look out Gary Frank.

When coming out of a squat, lead with your head....it will drive your chest up and help your back stay arched.....it is what is hardest for me to learn.

Bands are harder on your body than chains. The bands are always pulling on you and forcing you to exert more force....especially on the eccentric part.

Neurogenix, CEE and Thermorexin make a huge improvement in my workouts.

The Core (hips, lowerback and abs) are the foundation of your strength. If the lower back is weak...it can strain your back. If the abs are weak....it can strain your back. If your hamstrings are tight......it can strain your back. The abs can take up to 40 percent of the pressure off the lowerback when squatting if it is strong.

Blow air into your stomach against your belt to stabilize your back and make a wider base when squatting and deadlifting.

Never do the same workout back to back in your rotation.

I used to get DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) when I was bodybuilding due to the heavy eccentric work, but I never seem to get very sore now.

Learn how to use your gear (belts, suits, shirts, wraps....etc.

Learn prelipins's principle and plan your training with it.

If you don't use your strength....you will lose it in less than a week.

If you train at a commercial gym, get ready to be an outcast, victim of jealous people, complained about and watched very closely