HOW TO BUILD A POWERFUL BACK

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HOW TO BUILD A POWERFUL BACK (basic)

Posted by: GetRaw

Deadlifting can be tough, no doubt about it. But, once you get used to it you won't want to stop because it gives RESULTS!

The back is one of the main areas to focus on for increasing overall body mass (legs are the other) and no other exercise HITs all areas of the back like deadlifts; from the traps down to the lower erectors.

Here are a few tips:

I only advise deadlifting once every 10 to 14 days. When you're just starting the exercise, you can deadlift every 7 days.

Go SLOW when you start doing deadlifts. Don't get too anxious and make big weight jumps. Make sure you have the form down so you don't even have to think about it.

Never jerk the deadlift. Your arms must not have any slack and should be held tight. And there's no need to do a shrug or bend the arms at the top of a deadlift.

Don't overextend your back at the top by leaning back too far. Stand erect, period.

Keep your back flat and NEVER round your lower back during a deadlift.

I also recommend using a lifting belt.

Warm up thoroughly with a light weight. This also helps you practice your technique in perfect form.

Don't go lower than 6 reps unless you are going to enter a powerlifting competition.

Here are some other exercises to help build a big, strong back:

CHINS - An AWESOME back builder. When you can do 10 with your bodyweight, strap extra weight around you. NEVER over stretch in the bottom and let your shoulders rotate! You are asking for a shoulder injury if you do. Always be under control and don't try and explode in the bottom - squeeze it up. Don't go below 6 on these.

ONE ARM DUMBBELL ROWS - Do these with both your fists parallel and perpendicular to the body. Again, don't jerk these, squeeeeeeezzzzze. Don't rotate your trunk either. I really like these because with a knee up on the bench, there is no stress on the low back. Also, I found these to be second to deadlifts for thickness.