Train like a pro, look like a pro.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Johnnie Jackson

Wake up and hit the track for a 2-mile run at 8 a.m. Set foot in the gym at noon and run for an hour on the treadmill. Off to the weight room. Warm up with 3 sets of weighted pull-ups. Start with one 45-pound plate, then two, then three! Now it's time to separate the men from the boys with bodybuilding's most feared exercise--the deadlift! It's not called the deadlift for nothing! Start heavy and work up to the insane weight of 700 pounds for 10 full reps. That's over seven plates a side! Then top it out with 405-pound bent-over rows for 20 reps. Never flinching, never hesitating, it's all-out war from the minute the first weight moves until the second the last weight slams to the floor. That's what you've got to match if you want to go all out with pro bodybuilder Johnnie Jackson. Bodybuilding is a serious business, and there's no room for the weak at the top. So if you really want to look like a pro, you've got to train like a pro.

Everything Starts With Intensity

The importance of intensity can't be stressed enough. You think you train with intensity? With a max bench press of 545 pounds, and an 820-pound deadlift, Johnnie is a man who trains with intensity. When asked how he felt after one of his back workouts, Johnnie's response reveals his intensity: "I'd love to tell you what I felt like after my workout, but it'd be too profane. Put it this way: I've puked after a hard shoulder workout, so you can imagine what happened after my back workout!"

Here's a tip to amp up your intensity: Try listening to your favorite music while training. Whether it be hardcore rock or hip-hop, research shows that listening to your favorite upbeat music during exercise can increase the intensity and speed of your workout. Or you can just do what Johnnie does to fire up his intensity. "To psyche myself up for really heavy lifts, all I do is think about being the strongest man in the world!" Johnnie says. "Remember, the only person who can stop you is you!"

Visualize Your Success

One of the single most important aspects to your training success is the mind-muscle connection. Johnnie knows the importance of making the mind-muscle connection and getting focused for the gym. "I visualize working out all day, every day!" he says. "Because I don't have a set routine, I'll pick the body part that I'm going to train that day, and I'll start visualizing what I'm going to do. I'll also visualize myself lifting heavy, screaming, and growing to become the best." The more you believe you can lift a certain weight or meet a certain goal, the more likely you are to do it.

Here are a few tips on how to improve your mind-muscle connection. First, start with less weight to ensure you're isolating the muscle being worked. Second, every time you pick up a weight, think about how many reps you want to accomplish, and don't stop until you get there. Third, concentrate on squeezing the muscle and then slowly returning it back to the starting position. Fourth, slow down your reps to allow time to feel each contraction. Fifth, try flexing different muscles in your body one at a time to experience the feeling of that muscle working. By following these tips, you'll find your muscles will grow bigger and stronger before you know it.

Recovery Determines Results

Most people forget the fact that most of their results occur outside of the gym when their bodies are recovering. Looking like a pro is a 24-hour-a-day job. Here are a few things to consider to ensure that you're making the most of your time away from the gym.

1. Daily Nutrition

Your daily nutrition will dictate the extent of your muscle growth. Remember, everything you eat and drink affects your body. The most important thing to remember is that food is your friend. Be sure that you're eating six meals a day. Each meal should be high in protein, high in complex carbs, and low in fat. Your body needs both protein and carbs to grow!

2. Pre-Workout

About an hour before you train, have a whey protein shake and some complex carbs like oatmeal. This will help fuel your body through a tough workout. Also, be sure to hydrate your body by drinking a minimum of 24 ounces of water during the hour before hitting the gym.

3. Post-Workout

You've just finished pounding the weights, and your body is running on empty. It's crucial that you rehydrate with water and refuel your body with carbs and protein for optimal muscle repair and growth. Your best option is to consume a minimum of 40 grams of whey protein for muscle repair, and 75 grams of a high-glycemic carb, such as dextrose, to replenish glycogen stores immediately after the end of training.