• Join Us!
  • Truth about the Golden Compass movie
  • Join Us!
  • You have 1 new Private Message Attention Guest, if you are not a member of Fitness Geared - Body Building & Fitness Community, you have 1 new private message waiting, to view it you must fill out this form.
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Thanks Thanks:  0
    Likes Likes:  0
    Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Truth about the Golden Compass movie

mattd is offline Rookie Member
      Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 319
      Overall activity: 0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Default Truth about the Golden Compass movie

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

It's written by an atheist with the sole attempt tp try and "kill" God for children and to expose them to the idea of atheism.

Regarding The Golden Compass

THIS IS A PERSONAL MESSAGE FROM
      DR. BRYAN CUTSHALL

Yesterday, I was handed a children's book by a staff member who said, "I think you need to see this."

The book is published by Scholastic and is part of a collection of books. The book I was given is called The Golden Compass. This children's book is one of the most alarming things I have ever read. What makes it worse is that a movie based on th e book premieres in December. Both the book and the movie introduce atheism to children. The story ends with Adam and Eve killing God.

THIS IS A MOVIE THAT WE MUST PROTEST AND OPPOSE AS CHRISTIANS. Please educate yourself on this by checking out the links I have provided below and help me spread the word. Do not remain silent on this issue. This is a time for the family of GOD to stand together.

Dr. Bryan Cutshall

Senior Pastor, Twin Rivers Worship Center

Founder and CEO, Churchtrainer, Inc.

Focus on the Family has several notices written about it. You can click on this link to see one of them: https://www.citizenlink.org/content/A000005672.cfm

You can also read more about it below.

I checked this out at snopes.com; unfortunately, it's true... There will be a new children's movie out in December called "The Golden Compass." The movie has been described as "atheism for kids" and is based on the first book of a trilogy entitled "His Dark Materials" written by Phillip Pullman. Pullman is a militant atheist and secular humanist who despises

C. S. Lewis and the "Chronicles of Narnia." His motivation for writing this trilogy was specifically to counteract Lewis' symbolisms of Christ portrayed in the Narnia series.

Clearly, Pullman 's main objective is to bash Christianity and promote atheism. Pullman left little doubt about his intentions when he said in a 2003 interview, "my books are about killing God." He has even stated that he wants "to kill God in the minds of children." It has been said of Pullman that he is "the writer the atheists would be praying for, if atheists prayed."

While "The Golden Compass" movie itself may seem mild and innocent, the books are a much different story. In the trilogy, a young streetwise girl becomes enmeshed in an epic struggle to ultimately defeat the oppressive forces of a senile God. Another character, an ex-nun, describes Christianity as "a very powerful and convincing mistake." In the final book, characters representing Adam and Eve eventually kill God, who at times is called YAHWEH. Each book in the trilogy gets progressively worse regarding Pullman 's hatred of Jesus Christ.

"The Golden Compass" is set to premier December 7, during the Christmas season and will probably be heavily advertised. Promoters hope that unsuspecting parents will take their children to see the movie, that they will enjoy the movie, and that the children will want the books for Christmas. Please boycott the movie and the books. Also, pass this information along to everyone you know. This will help to educate parents, so that they will know the agenda of the movie.

The Golden Compass
      A movie to avoid

We need to get the word out about this movie -
      it is coming out in December - an atheist produced it,
      it is marketed for children and in the end they kill God.
      Send this to everyone you know.
      https://snopes.com/politics/religion/compass.asp

WAR EAGLE!

CNIZZ
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Default Re: Truth about the Golden Compass movie

I would be amazed if children were able to walk away from the book or the movie and make that interpretation themselves. The only reason I was aware of this is because we analyzed the book in a childrens literature course. I dont see children reading The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe and walking away saying "Wow, that was an amazing religious allegory!" Children are smarter than we give them credit for, but it would be a stretch to say they could come to the same conclusion without outside influences reinforcing the idea.

Let children make up their own minds, who cares if it was written by an Athiest with the intent to promote his personal views. I would prefer to protest parents who force their views of Christianity on their children and use scare tactics and fear to instill their personal beliefs in their children. I dont see the author of the book or the director of the movie forcing people in the theater.

T-Man007 is offline Elite Senior Resident
      Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

CNIZZ,

If children were wise enough to make their own decisions that would be one thing, but they aren't. The parent has every right to raise their children to coinside with their beliefs. If the child chooses another path then that's their choice. The atheist has the right to tell their child their is no God and the Christian has the right to tell their child their is a God. Also, it's not about scare tactics, it's about choice. If you choose to follow God and His will, then you act a certain way. Being a Christain has nothing to do with fear, but you have to be a Christian to actually understand that.

I'm also guessing you don't have any children. I may be wrong, but everyone I've ever met (myself included) says 'let children make up their own minds' prior to actually having them. But, until you actually have a child and raise that child do you understand the importance of what that child needs to know. Letting a child make their own decisions is what is wrong with this country right now. Kids are worthless these days, they are lazy and have no drive like they used to. It's because of this very type of thinking. But, do what you want with your kids, that's your right as an American and let me know how it turns out for you.
      I used to have superhuman powers....until my therapist took them away.

T-Man007 is offline Elite Senior Resident
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Matt,

Great post! The people who put this movie together are being very deceptive about their intentions. The author of the book is in fact trying to use this movie to push his views. Which is funny if you think about it. It's always the people who say that we should have the right to think what we want that surpress religion. Just look at the post by CNIZZ, he writes "who cares if it was written by an Athiest with the intent to promote his personal views. I would prefer to protest parents who force their views of Christianity on their children". See, he has no reservation for an atheist pushing his beliefs but prefers suppressing the Christian. This is the hypocritical thinking that these people have. If you really have no problem with an atheist pushing his agenda then the Christian should have that same right at the very least. All you have to do is give these people a couple minutes and they will do this very thing, allow one group free speach while attempting to suppress another group. Anyone who really believes in free speach will allow people to say whatever they want. But, to surpress it just says you don't really believe it. There are religions I don't agree with, but that's their choice. I know atheists in my personal life that I'm friends with and neither of us try to surpress the other because we actually understand the concept of free speech.

But, and I will admit this, the arguement goes both ways. There are extreme Christians who try to surpress the rights of others. Well, all I can say is they are not 'authentic' Christians. Period. An authentic Christian will love his fellow man regardless of their beliefs. People have the right to be who ever they want and they have the right to tell their kids that their lifestyle is ok if they choose. Unless the lifestyle is criminal in the eyes of the law, it's the parents choice to teach their kids what they choose. No one has the right to tell parents how to raise their children. As long as abuse and/or neglect are not part of the issue, the parent has the right, no one else.
      I used to have superhuman powers....until my therapist took them away.

daved150 is offline Platinum
      Overall activity: 4.0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

damn....ya had to tell me the ending?? i'm with you cnizz...my kids are pretty smart...they realize a movie is for entertainment...not once has my 9yr old tried to get my car to talk or turn into a giant robot!
      HE WHO MAKES A BEAST OF HIMSELF, GET'S RID OF THE PAIN OF BEING A MAN!!

https://www.infinitymuscle.com/forum.php

"Actually for once your actually starting sound quite logical!"-djdiggler 07/10/2007

I LOVE BOOBOOKITTY...

mandarb11 is offline Established Member
      Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 268
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

I love CS Lewis' work and I am in the process of reading this one. I have no problem with children reading a story from either type of author, this is exactly how we gain knowledge and only a knowledgible person can make a good decision. I am an athiest and yet I do not censure my children from any information, I let them learn about Christianity and that they have a choice in what they wish to beleive. This is just a book, a fantasy story that tells a tale, if it was not brought up that the author was an athiest none of this uproar would have occurred. This is actually an old book yet no one protested it before Hollywood (not the author) decided to make a movie about it. Kids are not going to hate the Roman Catholic church (which is the actual target of Pullman) from this movie, they are going to get a "Narnia" experience from it. Read the book and see the movie before you form an opinion of it! How can you critique something you have not read? It is the same criteria we must used for everything. I for one am looking forward to finishing the trilogy and watching the movie.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

I just believe ppl should see both sides of things. Not to hide it in a movie...I of course wouldn't take my children to see it because it is my job to raise them how I see fit...as for letting them make up their own mid...heck no...if my parents would have let me make my own mind at 8 I would have done some pretty stupid things and gotten hurt or been exposed to things that I shouldn't have at an early age...that's what pareting is...most ppl try to let kids act like adults or let the "school" raise them and wonder why they are either difuntional or have a warped view on life...not all the time but in certain cases...my 2 cents

WAR EAGLE!

CNIZZ
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

I'll admit the scare tactics comment was probably based more from personal experience and cannot be used as a generalization for all Christians, that was an unfair leap.

I am on my way to being a father in about 7 months so it probably is easier for me to say I would want my kids to think for themselves now than it will be in a few months, but I still plan to provide as well rounded of an outlook on life as possible.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

IT's just to hard not to want to protect them..I've become more close minded I guess since I've had children...I guess more judgemental..I hate it but it's true.

WAR EAGLE!

daved150 is offline Platinum
      Overall activity: 4.0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

i have an 18yr old son, a 12yr old daughter and a 9yr old son. FOR THE MOST PART, i too let them make their own decissions. now, that being said...i try to guide. i dont force religion. i force pride in ones self, dont lie, cheat or steal and to, in general, do the right thing. i believe if you instill the right values, they will make the best decissions for themselves. we'll watch this movie together, as a family, as we do most other movies. if you give your kids some rope...they wont always hang themselves!
      HE WHO MAKES A BEAST OF HIMSELF, GET'S RID OF THE PAIN OF BEING A MAN!!

https://www.infinitymuscle.com/forum.php

"Actually for once your actually starting sound quite logical!"-djdiggler 07/10/2007

I LOVE BOOBOOKITTY...

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

I have 4 children aged 3 to 13, and letting them choose if they beleive in a god or not is not quite the same as letting your kid do what they want. Beleif has to be a choice or it is meaningless. All one can do is give the kids the information they need and when they are mature enough they can decide what they like. Now being a parent does mean we control what we allow our kids to do, that is our job to protect them but they should still be shown that there are more sides to the coin than just one. Our focus as parents is to arm our children with the knowledge/skills they need to be successful in this life!

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Quote Originally Posted by daved150 View Post
      i have an 18yr old son, a 12yr old daughter and a 9yr old son. FOR THE MOST PART, i too let them make their own decissions. now, that being said...i try to guide. i dont force religion. i force pride in ones self, dont lie, cheat or steal and to, in general, do the right thing. i believe if you instill the right values, they will make the best decissions for themselves. we'll watch this movie together, as a family, as we do most other movies. if you give your kids some rope...they wont always hang themselves!
      My sentiments exactly, install the values that are important and you can trust that your children will make the decisions that are best for them. Good post bro!

Klash is offline Elite FG Resident
      Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 184
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

If there is one thing I have learned as a parent. If your going to ban everything that opposes the philosophy you intend to raise your child on; you might as well throw out the t.v. and all forms of media (and I've known Christians that have done precisely that for that very reason). There is subtle and not-so-subtle philosophical messages in everything. I've seen concepts I'm opposed to on numerous kid shows.

I grew up in a very Christian environment. I had friends who couldn't watch the smurf's because the name "Azreal" (Gargamel's cat) was blasphemous. 99 smurfs and one smurfette was immoral. Magic was evil, which also led to a ban on He-Man and many other kid shows and they weren't allowed to trick or treat. Trust me, when I say these kids were sheltered and as they grew up they stayed that way; the flip side of the coin for sheltered - is naive. I would rather protect my kid from being naive than overexposed to information. If your a Christian use the film as a conversation about beliefs; don't ban it.

My kids can go to church if they want, I see it as an opportunity to provide examples during a conversation to reinforce a logical philosophy. But then again my philosophy is built on logic so my kids aren't required to believe in a fragile premise.

Quote Originally Posted by CNIZZ View Post
      I'll admit the scare tactics comment was probably based more from personal experience and cannot be used as a generalization for all Christians, that was an unfair leap.
      I think your generalization is sound. Scare tactics may not be the conscious intent of all Christians but the concept of hell is extremely coercive.

solidground is offline FG Resident
      Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 90
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

i saw this movie tonight and didnt notice much religous content, although there is some. IMO there is more underlying political references and parallels then religious..

It was a real good movie if you like fantasy type films (harry potter, LOTR) and there will be atleast a second one.
      (candidates@google:ron paul )

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

I watched it as well (on a website not in the theatre) and it was not bad, a little rushed for the plot, but entertaining nonetheless. Other than making overt statements about the church (roman catholic) it really was not presented in an antireligious light, in fact I see little to make that inference at all. I am reading the book right ow so I will see how that goes. Overall I think for those that wish to boycott the movie or book, all this is doing is brining attention to the story. I would not of even heard of either if it were not for an article last week talking about "the controversy". The old saying goes, there is no such thing as bad publicity!