• Join Us!
  • Night of The Living Dead
  • Join Us!
  • You have 1 new Private Message Attention Guest, if you are not a member of Fitness Geared - Body Building & Fitness Community, you have 1 new private message waiting, to view it you must fill out this form.
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Thanks Thanks:  0
    Likes Likes:  0
    Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Night of The Living Dead

kite is offline Elite Senior Resident
      Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
      Overall activity: 0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Default Night of The Living Dead

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

WHAT IS THE NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD?

The NOTLD was started in October of 2004. I was tired of not having any meets in the area, and I wanted to find a way to raise some money for the high school lifting program. I realized I had the facilities, the equipment, and the man power; so why not just have a meet myself?
      I also realized that I lived in the same hometown as Bob Peoples (the first man to officially deadlift over 700 and 4 times his own bodyweight). Traditional 3 lift power meets tend to take a long time and I wanted something short and exciting. I decided to just do the deadlift, have it at night, and since it was near Halloween, call it the Night of the Living Dead. We decided to make it a bit more interesting by not having weight classes and judge by formula so the crowd would not know who the winner would be.
      I also wanted an exciting atmosphere. We got some spotlights, turned off the house lights, borrowed a fog machine, and cranked up the heavy metal music. The only thing left was the crowd. I wanted a high school/college sports atmosphere. Since it is held at a school, we got the kids involved, they made noise makers, they painted their chests and faces, the gave out door prizes, we made a special seating section just for the craziest of fans right in front of the platform.
      Everything was set and all we needed was the lifters. I was unsure how lifters would respond to a new and unsanctioned meet. I was overwhelmed by the response. We have had some of the nation’s and world’s greatest lifters over the past 3 year. Travis Mash (the man to beat Coan’s 220 total mark) came the first year and helped get things going. Mike Nease (3rd biggest dl in master’s history) was there at first too and has never missed since. Every year since, it has just grown phenomenally. Tee Meyers came with his huge master’s pull and umpteen world titles. Caleb Williams brought his IPF record setting power. Tom Eiseman (ranked #1 at 181 for over 20 years won in 2006.
      What also makes the NOTLD so special is that anyone can lift. We have everyone from 100 pound girls and first time lifters to the world champs all on the same stage. The only requirement is that they give their best and they always do. It is an experience that the average lifter will never forget because the crowd loves them all.
      The money has continued to increase as well. The first year we paid half of the entry fee to the money to the winner. It turned out to be less than $200 and I was not happy. The next year we guaranteed $300 to win and $300 to break any all-time record. Last year we guaranteed $500 to the winner and $300 for an all-time record. I am still not happy with that reward, but thanks to our local sponsor, Valley Forge Auction Company, and our new sponsor, Quest Nutrition, we are again guaranteeing a minimum of $500 to the winner and we hope that it climbs closer to $1000 before the meet finally arrives.
      If you would like to participate in our event on Nov 3, 2007, see the excitement that brings out 400 of the craziest fans you have ever seen at a powerlifting meet, compete for the money, share the stage with some legends, and just have a bunch of fun; contact me. I would love to have you join us to do all of those things and most importantly, help raise money for our fine young high school lifters, the future of powerlifting.

Sincerely,
      Alex Campbell
      Abcampbell69@hotmail.com or 423-725-2415

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Default Re: Night of The Living Dead

If anyone's interested, contact Alex for meet app.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Default Re: Night of The Living Dead

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

Things are progressing nicely for this meet. Jon Grove and NGBB have signed on to bring lifters, equipment, and to help with the bp clinic at half time. I finally found James Searcy and he is bringing his #2 SHW deadlift to the show. He and Mike Nease #3 all-time master's pull should have some fireworks for the big boys. Add that to Tom Eiseman coming in from NJ to defned his title , some high school all-American lifters, some elite female pullers, and a bunch of freaks from GA, NC, TN, VA, and you have the biggest and baddest dl meet in the country. DId I mention 500 of the craziest screaming fans with noise makers, painted faces and chests, home made signs, etc. This will be a night to remember. If you want to come and watch or lift, make sure to mark the date Sat, Nov 3. at 6:30 pm in Elizabethton, TN.

Up for grabs will be a minimum of $500 to the winner with up to a possible $1000 once the meet rolls around.