• Join Us!
  • Well, I'm done with benchin
  • Join Us!
  • You have 1 new Private Message Attention Guest, if you are not a member of Fitness Geared - Body Building & Fitness Community, you have 1 new private message waiting, to view it you must fill out this form.
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Thanks Thanks:  0
    Likes Likes:  0
    Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well, I'm done with benchin

kite is offline Elite Senior Resident
      Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
      Overall activity: 0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Default Well, I'm done with benchin

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

at least at a competitive level for the rest of the year. I was planning on hittin a meet in Sept. and bustin the upper 5's @ 181. Well today just blew that all to shiot! I was doin some 2 board presses with 50 pounds of chain. I got up to 405 bar weight and felt my damn wrist start to hurt a little but it wasn't bad, I got 3 easy reps. 455 same thing, slightly more pain but tollerable, got 3 good reps. 495, got the hand off and had to immediately toss it back into the rack. My wrist started shooting pain like crazy! I thought all that crap was behind me but I guess not. I'm just gonna do some light stuff for the rest of the year and just deadlift in Sept. This sucks ass, I had high hopes for this meet. It would have put me well into the top 20 all time bench press at this bodyweight. Ah well, we'll see what the future holds.

supasaiyan99 is offline Elite Senior Resident
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Default Re: Well, I'm done with benchin

Sorry to hear that bro. Give it some rest and try to go for it again next year.
      NO PAIN, NO GAIN
      KNOW PAIN, KNOW GAIN

Merc is offline Elite FG Resident
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

sorry to hear that bro take it easy for a while and who knows maybe you will recover quickly

Waterboy is offline Platinum
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Sorry to hear that kite.
      Rest it and maybe things will work out for you.
      Push it, Pull it, Rack it. Repeat untill wide!!

Take nothing I say as serious, What do I know, I sell water!!

Vet@FitnessGeared.com

daved150 is offline Platinum
      Overall activity: 4.0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

that sux bro!! i'm sorry to hear that.
      HE WHO MAKES A BEAST OF HIMSELF, GET'S RID OF THE PAIN OF BEING A MAN!!

https://www.infinitymuscle.com/forum.php

"Actually for once your actually starting sound quite logical!"-djdiggler 07/10/2007

I LOVE BOOBOOKITTY...

T-Man007 is offline Elite Senior Resident
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

The problem with joint pain is you either have to work through it with wraps and such or rest it for a while. I had some knee issues once and went against my beliefs and wrapped them for about a month. Then, I only wrapped on my heaviest set and then finally I quit wrapping and had no probs. Sometimes supporting the joint externally is enough to allow you to still train while it heals, but you have to wrap in on everything that uses that joint. So, you would need to wrap chest day, when doing dips, delt presses, etc. If you wrap the wrist and support it on all presses for about 6 weeks, then slowly back off the wrapping. It other words, do you just your warm ups and then wrap. Then warm ups and first set, and so on. You slowly try to re introduce the joint to working without external support. If the joint is bad enough, it may take 6 months, but that's better than lifetime probs. My lef wrist has been bothering me now that my bench is going up, so I'm going to wrap the heaviest set and see if that helps it. Worse case senario, I have to wrap my heaviest set from now on, so what. It's only one set, and it's not like it will carry over into my real life activites. As long as I can do the lighter stuff without pain I'm good.
      I used to have superhuman powers....until my therapist took them away.

Powerpress is offline Established Member
      Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 292
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

KITE ....like t-man said start with some wraps.
      Where do you carry the bar in your hand?

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Quote Originally Posted by T-Man007 View Post
      The problem with joint pain is you either have to work through it with wraps and such or rest it for a while. I had some knee issues once and went against my beliefs and wrapped them for about a month. Then, I only wrapped on my heaviest set and then finally I quit wrapping and had no probs. Sometimes supporting the joint externally is enough to allow you to still train while it heals, but you have to wrap in on everything that uses that joint. So, you would need to wrap chest day, when doing dips, delt presses, etc. If you wrap the wrist and support it on all presses for about 6 weeks, then slowly back off the wrapping. It other words, do you just your warm ups and then wrap. Then warm ups and first set, and so on. You slowly try to re introduce the joint to working without external support. If the joint is bad enough, it may take 6 months, but that's better than lifetime probs. My lef wrist has been bothering me now that my bench is going up, so I'm going to wrap the heaviest set and see if that helps it. Worse case senario, I have to wrap my heaviest set from now on, so what. It's only one set, and it's not like it will carry over into my real life activites. As long as I can do the lighter stuff without pain I'm good.
      Yeah I use wraps everytime that I bench and when I get above high 3's I wrap them biotches tight as hell, like a cast. This is just stemming from that time my right wrist kicked back on me with 500+ on the bar and caused what my ortho called a sprain.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Quote Originally Posted by Powerpress View Post
      KITE ....like t-man said start with some wraps.
      Where do you carry the bar in your hand?
      I usually start wrappin once I get around 225 or so. I carry the bar in my lower palm as opposed to the way that the MM guys say to do it (higher in the hand to make it easier to touch weight). I've also varried my grip. When this first happened I had my grip at the max legal width, index on rings. Since then I only go ring finger on rings so that I'm not puttin it in a funky angle. Like I said, I guess I'm just gonna give it a rest, focus on my raw bench which has gotten really shiotty here lately and go from there. It sucks royal ass when things like this happen but there's always another time. I was also thinkin about the possibility of taking two weeks off and then doin shirt work on a two week on, one to two week off deal and see what happens. I really wanna bench at this meet but don't wanna cause any permanent damage either.

DJDIGGLER
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

I feel your pain kite. I keep getting that freaking elbow pain and also the shoulder pain. Everytime I start getting up there in weight the pain comes back with a vengeance. It seems no matter how long I take off to let it heal, it always comes back. Guess it comes with the territory of lifting!

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Quote Originally Posted by DJDIGGLER View Post
      I feel your pain kite. I keep getting that freaking elbow pain and also the shoulder pain. Everytime I start getting up there in weight the pain comes back with a vengeance. It seems no matter how long I take off to let it heal, it always comes back. Guess it comes with the territory of lifting!
      You are going to have to do what I do and do rotator exercises for ever. Here's the way it works, the rotators basically hold the ball in place. However, they are not strong at all, so when you get those heavy weights going the ball actually ends up grinding into the socket and usually over stretches one of the rotators. This is usually the pain you fell. Just like over stretching any muslce, there's a little pain, you rest it, it feels better. But, with rotators, if you are susceptible to this then it will always be an issue for you. What you have to do is improve the endurance of the rotators. When you start getting up into those heavy weights the rotators will NEVER be stron enough to keep up, but, if they have a lot of endurance, they will be able to hold that ball just long enough to get you through a set. I do several rotator exercises before every workout. I do 18-20 reps and I do NOT go to failure. The key to endurance training is NOT to go to failure but to repeat sets quickly to increase endurance. When I do this, I have very little to no pain in the shoulder. But, as soon as I slack off of it, it takes no time at all before heavy presses start to hurt my rotators.

As for the elbow thing, that could be joint or tendon. Where does it hurt? If it's superficial (close to the skin) then usually it's tendon. If it's above the elbow where the tricep connects then there is a very good method that works great. It's called cross fiber stimulation. Basically, with a tendon issue you are suffering from a weakness in the tendon. By massaging the tendon across the fibers (in stead of along the fibers) you stimulate the tendon to increase collagen and that will make the tendon stronger. In my personal experience this only works with superficial tendon issues like tricep and patella tendons, for example. But, it does work. After each set take several seconds and massage across the tendon and within time, the tendon will get stronger. However, it is important to stay away from real heavy weights because a strain could easily become a tear if you continue to push it.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Quote Originally Posted by kite View Post
      Yeah I use wraps everytime that I bench and when I get above high 3's I wrap them biotches tight as hell, like a cast. This is just stemming from that time my right wrist kicked back on me with 500+ on the bar and caused what my ortho called a sprain.
      You cant do that with an injury. Even with a joint wrapped, if it's injured, you need to avoid your heavy stuff until you can do your lighter stuff with no wraps. That will be your sign. When you can do 315 with no wraps and no pain, go up 10% and stop. Never go up more than say 10% a week without the wraps. That way you don't jump all the way up to a heavy weight and have to start over. Once you work back up to 405 without wraps, you will be doing good. It's going to take time, no doubt about it.

DJDIGGLER
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Tmann the shoulder pain I speak of goes from the corner of the back of my shoulder through the core of my tricep.

The elbow pain I think is 'tennis elbow' and is right in the center of my elbow. Almost as if it's in the bone.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Quote Originally Posted by DJDIGGLER View Post
      Tmann the shoulder pain I speak of goes from the corner of the back of my shoulder through the core of my tricep.

The elbow pain I think is 'tennis elbow' and is right in the center of my elbow. Almost as if it's in the bone.
      Your first one is a tricep tendon problem then. The tricep attaches to the shoulder joint and since triceps assist in pressing moves, you may think it's a shoulder problem but it sounds more like some kink of injury to the tricep. But, it could also be as simple as scar tissue at in the tricep tendon. This is not a pleasurable thing to get fixed but it is fixable. I had to get some scar tissue massaged out of my bicep where the bicep attaches to the shoulder joint. The entire time I thought it was a shoulder problem but it was actually a bicep tendon problem but the pain was way up where the bicep attaches to the shoulder joint. The lady had to dig, literally dig with her fingers, through the delt down to the bicep tendon. This was awefully painful but within 3 sessions that was practically no more scar tissue there. So, it was well worth the pain.

I actually need to get some more deep tissue work done. I could use probably 6 sessions of deep tissue to break up scar tissue throughout my body. Heck, probably more like 8 sessions, but none the less it will keep the pain down and the future problems limited.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

Quote Originally Posted by T-Man007 View Post
      Your first one is a tricep tendon problem then. The tricep attaches to the shoulder joint and since triceps assist in pressing moves, you may think it's a shoulder problem but it sounds more like some kink of injury to the tricep. But, it could also be as simple as scar tissue at in the tricep tendon. This is not a pleasurable thing to get fixed but it is fixable. I had to get some scar tissue massaged out of my bicep where the bicep attaches to the shoulder joint. The entire time I thought it was a shoulder problem but it was actually a bicep tendon problem but the pain was way up where the bicep attaches to the shoulder joint. The lady had to dig, literally dig with her fingers, through the delt down to the bicep tendon. This was awefully painful but within 3 sessions that was practically no more scar tissue there. So, it was well worth the pain.
      Good advice, deep tissue massage and ART can be a life saver!