• Join Us!
  • Conv. Deadlift Training by Sgt. Rock
  • Join Us!
  • You have 1 new Private Message Attention Guest, if you are not a member of Fitness Geared - Body Building & Fitness Community, you have 1 new private message waiting, to view it you must fill out this form.
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Thanks Thanks:  0
    Likes Likes:  0
    Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Conv. Deadlift Training by Sgt. Rock

kite is offline Elite Senior Resident
      Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
      Overall activity: 0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Default Conv. Deadlift Training by Sgt. Rock

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

Hardcore Deadlifting
      by Sgt Rock

The deadlift. No good guy, no bad guy. Just you and the damn weight. That is how I like it, level playing field. There is no negative movement, no “bounce”. You must create your own energy. The deadlift is a popular movement among some of the most massive bodybuilders in the world. Others shy away from it due to the fact that it requires so much mental and physical energy. Incorporate deadlifts into your routine and you will get increases in your upper and lower back, traps, glutes, and even hamstrings, not to mention increased grip strength and forearm power.

Proper Execution Of The Deadlift
      There are two styles, conventional and sumo. For bodybuilding purposes, the conventional method will suit your needs more as it utilizes much more back involvement (what we are after). The deadlift will create a thickness in the upper and lower back that you cannot duplicate.

Use a shoulder width stance, toes pointed out slightly. Keep your ass down, and arms locked. Grip the bar where the knurling on the bar starts. The wider you stand, the wider you must grip it and the further you then must pull the weight¬¬-this obviously requires more work and will decrease your leverages. So instead use a closer stance, hence a closer grip and therefore cut down on the distance of the bar and utilize bigger weights.

Use an over under grip (most use strong hand over). To initiate the movement make sure firstly that your back is flat and not rounded, head slightly up. PUSH YOUR FEET THROUGH THE FLOOR. That is what you should think about, pushing your feet through the floor. Initiate the pull with your legs, not your arms. Do not jerk the weight. Keeping the back flat, keep pushing the feet through the floor, keeping your head up.

Keep the bar in close to your body-it should drag up your shins and remain in contact with your body throughout the movement. Once it passes the knees, throw your head back and thrust your hips out, then lock your knees. Congrats. You have done one rep of the king of the mass builders. On every rep, ensure you let the bar rest completely and DO NOT BOUNCE THE WEIGHT. Also, one word on straps: If you can get away without using them, do so. If your grip is weak, the only way to overcome it is to train it, and nothing trains the grip better than heavy deads.

How To Incorporate Deadlifts Into Your Routine
      Heavy deadlifting should be done a maximum of once every seven days-even better is once every ten days. It is a very taxing exercise. Warmups should be just that, warmups. If I were doing a set of five with 405, warmups would go 135x5, 225x3, 315x1, and maybe 365x1. I would then chalk my hands lightly and pull my 405x5 reps.

Never do more than two top sets of deadlifts. Reps over 5 are not recommended. It is a power movement and five rep sets are best for building a good power base. Start out with weights that are medium, and try to NEVER miss a rep in the gym. You should train your squat a minimum of two days before your deadlifts. Your lower back will need to be ready to rock and roll come deadlift day.

You should wear a good power belt for your heavy sets, and flat shoes such as wrestling shoes as you want your feet level, which provides a solid pulling base. Also, you need not pull heavy more than two weeks in a row. A light week or off week from heavy pulls will keep them moving in the right direction.

What To Expect
      After some heavy weeks of deadlifting, you should notice increased back musculature from top to bottom. Your glutes will be in better shape, and your hams and traps should have great results as well. Your grip will be better, and hopefully you will have an Animal Attitude. You will need it to pull up some big weights.

When I first started deadlifting, I could do only 335. I have pushed that up to 800 pounds. At 5'11” and 230, I am a several time and current world deadlift champion. If I can do it, you can do it. You have to decide your goals, NOW-deadlift 500, have a back people stare at, whatever it is. You have to ****ing want it. So go out and make it happen. Start pulling heavy, like an Animal. Set a goal, and go kick ass and attain it. Make it happen.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Default Re: Conv. Deadlift Training by Sgt. Rock

Here's a training cycle he sent me a year or two ago to let me know exactly what he was doing then.

wk 1 stiff leg dl off 2" block 2x5
      wk 2 sldl off 2" block 2x5
      wk 3 no pulling, heavy assistance
      wk 4 1x5 going for a pr on sldl off the floor
      wk 5 1x5 dl off 4" block
      wk6 no pullin, heavy asst.
      wk 7 reg dl off floor 1x5 full gear so that you learn to master it, sldl 1x5
      wk 8 same as wk 7
      wk 9 asst
      wk 10 pr for 1x5 off the floor
      wk 11 1x3
      wk 12 asst
      wk 13 1x3
      wk 14 1x2
      wk 15 dl warm ups only
      wk 16 meet

Asst. work should be bent rows 3x5, good morings/back attacks 2x5-8 or rev. hypers 2x10, shrugs 2-3x20, heavy abs 3x10-15

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Default Re: Conv. Deadlift Training by Sgt. Rock

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

His sumo article

Sumo Deadlifting, Animal Style
      By Sgt Rock

Last time we discussed conventional deadlifting. This time we are going to discuss the sumo (wide stance, hands inside) style. The old adage on sumo pulling used to be, “If you’re short do sumo, if you’re tall go conventional”. This couldn’t be further from the truth. I believe all beginners should first build their foundation by conventional deadlifting, sets of five reps, to build up a great base. That being said, let’s get into the nuts and bolts of the sumo.

Muscle Utilized, Finer Sumo Deadlift Points
      The same muscles are used in sumo and conventional, but the percentages switch. Do not think for one moment that you can get away with being a great sumo deadlifter without having a strong back. The sumo is more of an “athletic” movement, requiring more flexibility. Each person will have to experiment for the right stance as there is not a one size fits all. One thing to keep in mind from a leverage standpoint is the wider you put your feet, the less the distance you have to pull the bar, hence the less work you do, and in some cases, the more weight you can pull. Notice I said SOME cases. I found in my own case, that if I put my feet out near the plates, I locked the weight out just above the knee, making for a really short stroke. I just don’t have the flexibility and hip strength to use that stance. The hips are used much more in the sumo. Technique is paramount in both styles, but if you fail to keep the hips down from the start in the sumo, you are finished. The lower back is utilized more in the conventional, but plays a large role in the sumo as well. The upper back muscles, lats, traps, teres, rhomboids, all are key players as well. Grip of course can also be a limiting factor, as well as ab strength.

Sumo Deadlift Technique
      The setup in the sumo should go as follows. Set your feet at the desired width, feet should be outside the rings on a standard powerbar, unless you are very short, with toes pointing slightly outward. The more you point them in, the more hip involvement, and the harder to reach the bar. The more you point the toes out the easier to reach the bar, and a little less hip involvement. Keep your head up and pretend you are doing a contest squat. Your glutes should come back first, then reach down just enough to reach the bar, with glutes back, and head up, shins should be nearly straight. Bar should be touching the shins. Ensure your hands are chalked and for an added advantage, put baby powder on your thighs if you are wearing shorts. Now take a big breath and hold it, and force your hips down really quick, and towards the bar. Once they are down DRIVE the feet out and through the floor, keep your head up. Once it clears the knees DRIVE the hips through. You have done one perfect rep.

Equipment
      There are several deadlift suits on the market. I lean towards the Inzer Max DL. The legs are non-slip, and the suit provides much support in the hip area where you need it. Ensure your suit is super tight. Next piece of gear is the Erector shirt. I like a medium tight fit. The shirt enables the straps of the suit to slide on it during lockout, making a much smoother lift. Footwear is next. In either style I feel wrestling shoes are best. They give you a touch of ankle support, flat soles, no added heel, and that tight feeling. All things to help you pull more. I already talked about chalking your hands and baby powder on your legs, all for your heavy sets only.

Off-Season Routine
      Ok so it isn’t the peaking routine, but this routine is ESSENTIAL for prepping for a peaking routine. You need to build up a base for future gains. You can’t jack a car up in sand, so let’s get started on the off-season plan.

• Stiff-Leg Deadlifts 2x5
      Do both sets conventional if you are a conventional puller, and if you are sumo puller, do the first set sumo and second conventional, as the conventional builds more back strength. Warm up and do 2 top sets of five reps, wearing a belt only. Conventional stiff legs, or American stiff legs, are done as follows: stand on a 100-pound plate or a 2-3 inch platform with conventional stance. Bend down to pick up the weight as you would a normal deadlift and lock it out, now your ready to start. Bend knees SLIGHTLY, and keep the bar in close. PAUSE the weight on the floor not letting it settle all the way, the whole time keeping your head BACK. Keep the bar in close and bring to lockout, always keeping your head back.

• Sumo Stiff Leg
      Take two 35 pound plates where your normal sumo stance is, same technique as conventional except for the wide stance. Your back will be "flatter" during these--this is a great movement seldom done--you will notice great gains on this one!

On the fifth rep of either style, always let the weight settle ALL the way, then explode to lockout. That is the American stiff leg. You are showing the weight who is ****ing boss on that last rep... You own it. Work up to around 70 percent of your best deadlift max eventually. When starting out, use lighter weights until your technique is flawless. Now the rest of the off-season workout!!
      • Barbell Bent Rows
      Barbell bent rows off a 100 plate, no belt. NEVER USE STRAPS IN THESE WORKOUTS FOR ANY REASON. Grip is important. You won't improve if you use straps. Two sets, 5 reps heavy.
      • Chins
      Front chins with weight if you can, 3x5
      Next week do Front lat pulls, 3x7
      • Rows
      Cable rowing, 3x7 reps
      Next week machine rows, or one arm rows 3x7
      • Dumbbell Shrugs 2x20
      • Reverse or Regular Hypers 3x10
      • Ab Work 4x15
      Heavy ab work: your choice on the exercises, WITH WEIGHT.

You can do heavy good mornings on this day if you have the energy for 1x5, or on squat day. Everyone is different. I do mine on squat day often times.

Do your stiff legs two weeks on, one off. On the off week do all the assistance, just no heavy stiff legs. This will keep your lower back fresh. Ensure you keep 3 days in between your next squat workout, and do not ever do back more than once a week. I pull once every 10 days and that is plenty for me. You are on the way to being a deadlifting Animal. Train hard, train smart, and remember: THE ONLY ****ING LIMITS YOU HAVE ARE THE ONES YOU CREATE. Semper fi.