• Join Us!
  • Any of you ever heard of
  • Join Us!
  • You have 1 new Private Message Attention Guest, if you are not a member of Fitness Geared - Body Building & Fitness Community, you have 1 new private message waiting, to view it you must fill out this form.
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Thanks Thanks:  0
    Likes Likes:  0
    Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Any of you ever heard of

kite is offline Elite Senior Resident
      Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
      Overall activity: 0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Default Any of you ever heard of

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

a mentally gifted kid with a learning disability? I know it sounds strange, but I think that's what's up with my boy. He's 9, or will be in July, and he's extremely smart. When you talk to him he speaks as if he's 12-13, math is a breeze for him and he's very imgainative. The problems are: writing - he writes like a kindergartener. Spelling - we go over his words every single night and he still doesn't usually do well on his tests, he can barely even repeat the word you just spelled for him but like I said before, when he speaks he's got a vocabulary better than alot of adults. Then there's just other little things that he just doesn't get. We've talked to his teachers, counselors, etc. An independant psychologist as well as one the school got, both came to the same conclusion. The both say he's exceptionally bright, but "something's wrong", they can't put their fingers on it, he simply doesn't fit into any of their little boxes. Any of you guys and gals come across anything like this?
      Oh and he was diagnosed with ADD about 3 yrs back but the meds all made him extremely moody, depressed and an emotional wreck so we had to take hime off.

McKenzie is offline Elite FG Resident
      Overall activity: 7.0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Default Re: Any of you ever heard of

Autistic?

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

It sounds like it huh? But he's fully functional, active, good common sense, etc...

T-Man007 is offline Elite Senior Resident
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

If numbers are a breeze and spelling is tough, then it sounds like he may be dislexic (sp). Based on what you said, he can speak great, but his ability to identify words by sight challenges him, that sounds like dislexia (sp) to me. There is a kid at church who has it and he sounds like your kid. He's smart as all can be, he speaks very well, does great with numbers, but written words are very hard for him. So, he's in therapy to correct the way he sees the letters. Now, youkid may be smart enough to know he sees it wrong and that's what takes him so long to write, he's trying to reverse it himself. You would be amazed at what kids will try to do themselves rather than admit they can't do. Has anyone looked into that possiblity?
      I used to have superhuman powers....until my therapist took them away.

DJDIGGLER
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

His brain is probably more honed in on specific things making him lack in other areas. I bet it's the same thing that makes people superior to others in other areas.

Like everyone else said I bet it's sort of like Rainman (when it comes to the skill part)

Merc is offline Elite FG Resident
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

my nephew has adhd very smart in some subjects but just could not learn in others. One thing they found with him his hands are constantly moving so they put velcro under his desk so his hands have something to scratch at now he is exceling in all of his subjects it sounds weird I know but his brain is wired differently.

Just try and watch and see if he has any habits or ticks, the doctor was saying that OCD can also present its self in kids with ADD and ADHD. I dont know if this is the case with your son but if it is you can fire questions any time.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Quote Originally Posted by Merc View Post
      my nephew has adhd very smart in some subjects but just could not learn in others. One thing they found with him his hands are constantly moving so they put velcro under his desk so his hands have something to scratch at now he is exceling in all of his subjects it sounds weird I know but his brain is wired differently.

Just try and watch and see if he has any habits or ticks, the doctor was saying that OCD can also present its self in kids with ADD and ADHD. I dont know if this is the case with your son but if it is you can fire questions any time.
      He actually does do some weird sh!t with his hands sometimes, mostly when he's nervous.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Quote Originally Posted by T-Man007 View Post
      If numbers are a breeze and spelling is tough, then it sounds like he may be dislexic (sp). Based on what you said, he can speak great, but his ability to identify words by sight challenges him, that sounds like dislexia (sp) to me. There is a kid at church who has it and he sounds like your kid. He's smart as all can be, he speaks very well, does great with numbers, but written words are very hard for him. So, he's in therapy to correct the way he sees the letters. Now, youkid may be smart enough to know he sees it wrong and that's what takes him so long to write, he's trying to reverse it himself. You would be amazed at what kids will try to do themselves rather than admit they can't do. Has anyone looked into that possiblity?
      Well, I've thought about dyslexia, because he has a problem with is g's, q's, b's, d's and every once in a while s's. But I had the same problem when I was a kid. I'm left handed and so is he, so I just chalked it up to being a lefty. He doesn't transpose letters though, just writes some backwards, especially when he's in a hurry or tired.

daved150 is offline Platinum
      Overall activity: 4.0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

i dont know bro...thats a tricky age. my boy's 8 and the teachers are kinda wondering whats up with him...when it comes to school work, it's almost like it's too easy for him...his writing is waaaay ahead, he's already doing proper cursive, and writes as pretty as a girl!!(o2, you know what i'm saying, lol). math, he's a whiz. spelling, he's all over it. but, if you ask him to do ANYTHING...he forget's. the kid will get up to go sharpen his pencil, and stop about 5ft from the sharpener, and just look around!! if you tell him to do 2 things (like pick up a paper on the table, and hang up your jacket) you get about 50% of it done....sometimes he'll grab the paper, go upstairs to his room and 2 min. later come down with it in his hand like he went to go get it!!! it's funny sometimes...but, as long as his grades are up, we're not really worried...just watching. i dont know what to suggest exept for keep working with him...you need to keep his brain stimulated with math prob's, spelling prob's, ect. dont get frustrated...he's at that point were he's starting to get more social (best friends, birthday parties, mini drama) and he may just be having a hard time getting focused. i went through something simaler with my daughter...it started with her in second grade, and we just now think we got her over the hump (5th grd)!!!
      HE WHO MAKES A BEAST OF HIMSELF, GET'S RID OF THE PAIN OF BEING A MAN!!

https://www.infinitymuscle.com/forum.php

"Actually for once your actually starting sound quite logical!"-djdiggler 07/10/2007

I LOVE BOOBOOKITTY...

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

yeah, Dave, mine does that forgeting too. Drives us crazy! We'll tell him go upstairs and get your towel, he's up there for 10 min., we go up there he's watching tv or playing! He forgot what the hell he went upstairs for! AHHHHHH!!!!

daved150 is offline Platinum
      Overall activity: 4.0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

Quote Originally Posted by kite View Post
      yeah, Dave, mine does that forgeting too. Drives us crazy! We'll tell him go upstairs and get your towel, he's up there for 10 min., we go up there he's watching tv or playing! He forgot what the hell he went upstairs for! AHHHHHH!!!!
      yea...i'm thinking it's just a "thing"...i wouldnt put to much into it...just keep working with him (witch can be a pain in the a$$)..i'm tell ya, my daughter was alot like that, and becouse it jacked with her grade, we were kinda freakin out for a few years...this one...i dont know. the grades are awsome, so we just keep an eye on it...
      HE WHO MAKES A BEAST OF HIMSELF, GET'S RID OF THE PAIN OF BEING A MAN!!

https://www.infinitymuscle.com/forum.php

"Actually for once your actually starting sound quite logical!"-djdiggler 07/10/2007

I LOVE BOOBOOKITTY...