• Join Us!
  • Cardio training regime anyone?
  • Join Us!
  • You have 1 new Private Message Attention Guest, if you are not a member of Fitness Geared - Body Building & Fitness Community, you have 1 new private message waiting, to view it you must fill out this form.
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Thanks Thanks:  0
    Likes Likes:  0
    Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Cardio training regime anyone?

brody13
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Default Cardio training regime anyone?

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

Hey everyone... I have never been very big on running, but I want to set a goal for myself. Right now I probably run a 9-10 min mile if I am lucky. I usually get shin splints and it hurts like crap. Anyone know any good cardio workout that can help me reach a goal of under 6 mins? Also, how can I keep from getting shin splints?

I want to be able to run this fast ----->

a-bomb83 is offline Elite FG Resident
      Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
      Overall activity: 0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Default Re: Cardio training regime anyone?

ever try running on an incline? when i do cardio, its usually on an incline of 8 to 10 at a speed of around 3 to 3.5mph. as far as getting your goal of a 6 minute mile, you'll have to do some sort of endurance training for that, and endurance is not my forte,lol.
      Hey, I never saw a skinny bodybuilder before - eat away!
      - Testify

THE BEST WAY TO GET OVER A GIRL IS TO GET UNDER ANOTHER ONE

supasaiyan99 is offline Elite Senior Resident
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

If you want to run 6 min miles then you are going to have to do a lot of one lap sprints. My track coach in high school used to make us do 10, 400m laps in under 60 seconds each. 1 min rest inbetween each lap. Since you are running 1 mile in about 9 mins that means each 400m is taking you about 2min and 15sec. Try to decrease your individual lap times first. Then you will have to increase your endurance in order to maintain your speed throughout the entire mile. To increase our endurance we used to do a fast 4 mile jog everyday. When running the 4 miles, don't worry about speed, just get it done without stopping. Then once you can do it without stopping, then work on your trying to increase your speed. Once you can do 4 miles in about 25mins or so, a 5 min mile is in your horizons.
      NO PAIN, NO GAIN
      KNOW PAIN, KNOW GAIN

kite is offline Elite Senior Resident
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Get jacked up on a shhitload of caffeine, strap a small o2 tank on and run Foreest, run!

brody13
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by supasaiyan99 View Post
      If you want to run 6 min miles then you are going to have to do a lot of one lap sprints. My track coach in high school used to make us do 10, 400m laps in under 60 seconds each. 1 min rest inbetween each lap. Since you are running 1 mile in about 9 mins that means each 400m is taking you about 2min and 15sec. Try to decrease your individual lap times first. Then you will have to increase your endurance in order to maintain your speed throughout the entire mile. To increase our endurance we used to do a fast 4 mile jog everyday. When running the 4 miles, don't worry about speed, just get it done without stopping. Then once you can do it without stopping, then work on your trying to increase your speed. Once you can do 4 miles in about 25mins or so, a 5 min mile is in your horizons.
      this sounds like a good idea, ill give it a try. Thanks

6p6 is offline Super Moderator
      Overall activity: 29.0%
      is armed and ready...R U?

I am:
      Wtf

Level

and his shin splints? thats not an easy one to cure...I'd say work through it but at almost 30 that suggestion isn't working for me like it used to! I get them bad, I've been trying to increase my cardio also...sucks...

kite is offline Elite Senior Resident
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

With the shin splints you may wanna scrap the running. Try draggin a sled, getting a weight vest and walk or climb stairs with it on, get a prowler, do tire flips, really any kind of strongman work.

T-Man007 is offline Elite Senior Resident
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Quote Originally Posted by supasaiyan99 View Post
      That sounds a lot like what our track coach did for the distance guys too. It's a modified version of the run/walk, which I'm a huge fan of, and it can be used with most running goals other than say a marathon, that's just flat out endurance. I was a sprinter in HS and ran the 400, 4x400, 200 and 4x100. Depending on what we would run, it was some variation of the run/walk. For example, those of us working on our 200 time would (after warm up of course) sprint all out for 200 meters and then walk the half lap and do it again at full speed. For the 4x100, we would just sprint all out 1/4 of the track and then walk to the opposite 1/4 and do it again. Run/walk is very effective for cardio vascular and fat burning because of the calories it takes. The trick is to try and keep up the tempo for 20 to 30 minutes. 20 should do good until you get to that last little bit of stubborn fat and then it's going to take more time. I used to use this technique when I used to train but I did a 40 yard run/walk. The would sprint all out for 40 yards and then walk back to the start, as soon as they got back, it was off to the races. No one EVER made it past several minutes the first time, no one. It takes a lot of stamina to do that kindof thing for that length of time. Stamina is different than endurance because of the intensity. I'll give you an example, marathon runners need endurance and boxers need stamina. Boxers must be able to excert more intense moves for a long period where a marathon runner just needs to set a tempo and stick with it, but it's not near as much intensity as a boxer or wrestler or MMA fighter. However, the fighter also needs endurance as well. There are a lot of people who can jog for an hour like it's nothing but if you had them do 40 yard run/walks they would die out quickly because of the lack of stamina.

Sorry to ramble on but I agree 100% with SA's advice, it's a proven effective tool for both stamina and endurance so you get the best of both worlds.
      I used to have superhuman powers....until my therapist took them away.

supasaiyan99 is offline Elite Senior Resident
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

Quote Originally Posted by T-Man007 View Post
      That sounds a lot like what our track coach did for the distance guys too. It's a modified version of the run/walk, which I'm a huge fan of, and it can be used with most running goals other than say a marathon, that's just flat out endurance. I was a sprinter in HS and ran the 400, 4x400, 200 and 4x100. Depending on what we would run, it was some variation of the run/walk. For example, those of us working on our 200 time would (after warm up of course) sprint all out for 200 meters and then walk the half lap and do it again at full speed. For the 4x100, we would just sprint all out 1/4 of the track and then walk to the opposite 1/4 and do it again. Run/walk is very effective for cardio vascular and fat burning because of the calories it takes. The trick is to try and keep up the tempo for 20 to 30 minutes. 20 should do good until you get to that last little bit of stubborn fat and then it's going to take more time. I used to use this technique when I used to train but I did a 40 yard run/walk. The would sprint all out for 40 yards and then walk back to the start, as soon as they got back, it was off to the races. No one EVER made it past several minutes the first time, no one. It takes a lot of stamina to do that kindof thing for that length of time. Stamina is different than endurance because of the intensity. I'll give you an example, marathon runners need endurance and boxers need stamina. Boxers must be able to excert more intense moves for a long period where a marathon runner just needs to set a tempo and stick with it, but it's not near as much intensity as a boxer or wrestler or MMA fighter. However, the fighter also needs endurance as well. There are a lot of people who can jog for an hour like it's nothing but if you had them do 40 yard run/walks they would die out quickly because of the lack of stamina.

Sorry to ramble on but I agree 100% with SA's advice, it's a proven effective tool for both stamina and endurance so you get the best of both worlds.
      So you ran track too? Cool! I ran the 200, 400 and 800. Those run/walks were killers. We always did the "8, 200s in 8 mins" after doing our 4 mile jog. That used to suck big time, for some reason running 10, 400's was always a lot easier for me.
      NO PAIN, NO GAIN
      KNOW PAIN, KNOW GAIN