• Join Us!
  • Hoornstra/Winters method
  • Join Us!
  • You have 1 new Private Message Attention Guest, if you are not a member of Fitness Geared - Body Building & Fitness Community, you have 1 new private message waiting, to view it you must fill out this form.
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Thanks Thanks:  0
    Likes Likes:  0
    Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Hoornstra/Winters method

kite is offline Elite Senior Resident
      Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
      Overall activity: 0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Default Hoornstra/Winters method

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

Raw bench press master's Jeremy Hoornstra and Nick Winters offer a look inside their training, lifting style, and upcoming meet plans. Both lifters bench well up into the 600's with Winters looking to best Mendelson's record of 715 pounds once he's recovered from an injury he suffered at a recent APA meet.

Jeremy Hoornstra: As for me, I train more like a bodybuilder. I do Chest Monday, back Tuesday, shoulders, tri's, bi's, then legs. If I feel motivated to go in twice in a day after work or something, I'll throw in calves again with forearms and traps. This way, I'm hitting chest on Monday, it's really getting worked again on the tricep day with closegrip, etc. as well as a little bit on shoulder day with military presses, etc.

You'll see that everyone has a different workout and something that works for one person may in fact not work at all for someone else. Some people like to rest 30 seconds between sets, some rest damn near 10 minutes. I hit a bodypart a day and kill it until I almost throw up. Often times I'm sitting at the table in the front of the gym trying not to pass out, drinking gatorade or juice to get my blood sugar back up and not throw up in the empty protein jug I have just in case...

I think that I am mainly a tricep bencher but I use a lot of shoulders and lats as I bench as well. I have always had a high closegrip bench, have actually done 635 for a single on it a few weeks ago at Xtreme Fitness in Leesburg, FL where I'm from. However, I would bet I'd do better with maybe a finger or two distance wider than I was at for the cage. It's mostly a psychological thing for me not wanting to blow my shoulders out or anything. I know everyone has heard the 70 year old man who says, "I used to bench as much as you and look like you, but I blew out my shoulder.." proceed to show scars...To be honest, I never really thought about it until recently from shows like the Olympia and Arnold where it's recorded and everyone says the same thing. I will be the first to agree that my form is not all there but I'm working on it, slowly but surely. I'll probably give a wider grip a try, slightly...

I think my shoulders are strong enough to handle the weight, probably the main reason I'm benching a little more now is because I've been killing my shoulders. However, all it takes is just one little twitch and the weight falls down wrong. I guess I'm a little paranoid about this but nothing would piss me off more than to blow my sh#% up right now...

Nick Winters: I train similar to Jeremy in the fact that I only train one bodypart a day usually. I will train back (have started doing biceps also, after a 1.5yr layoff, lol) on mon or tues (depending on work schedule), always bench on wednesday (also throw in tris), rest thurs, do legs on friday, rest saturday or go in for some light bench or cg bench, shoulders on sunday. I go heavy on most lifts, never more than 5 reps on my working sets for bench or shoulders. Legs I will do 1 set of 405 for 20 reps and then do some machines (can't do a whole lot of heavy work because it throws my knees off track due to only one hamstring).

...I have a few comps coming up, my next one is the Windy City open in Willowbrook at the end of April. I will be doing USPF senior nats and might be wearing a single ply katana there. I do plan on doing shirted meets after I get my raw record, I want to see if I can do any damage in the shirted meets

6p6 is offline Super Moderator
      Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
      Overall activity: 29.0%
      is armed and ready...R U?

I am:
      Wtf

Level

Default Re: Hoornstra/Winters method

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!