• Join Us!
  • Diesel Engine Opinions
  • Diesel Engine Opinions
  • Diesel Engine Opinions
  • Diesel Engine Opinions
  • Diesel Engine Opinions
  • Diesel Engine Opinions
  • Join Us!
  • You have 1 new Private Message Attention Guest, if you are not a member of Fitness Geared - Body Building & Fitness Community, you have 1 new private message waiting, to view it you must fill out this form.
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Thanks Thanks:  0
    Likes Likes:  0
    Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diesel Engine Opinions

TestRip7 is offline Elite FG Resident
      Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
      Overall activity: 0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Default Diesel Engine Opinions

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!
      • Diesel Engine Opinions
      • Diesel Engine Opinions

• Diesel Engine Opinions
      • Diesel Engine Opinions
      • Diesel Engine Opinions
      • Diesel Engine Opinions
      • Diesel Engine Opinions
      • Diesel Engine Opinions
      Looking for some information on the duramax diesel engines and the Ford powerstroke engines. Daved, maybe you got some input on this brother. I've been looking at the 2003, 2004 and 2005's. I've always been a ford man but been hearing alot lately about the power and reliability of the duramax engines over the powerstroke.

Opinions, experiences anyone??

Disclaimer: Any information that TestRip7 shares is strictly for entertainment and role playing purposes only. TestRip7 is a fictional character and in no way condones the use of any illegal substances or activities otherwise.

AlmostThere
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Default Re: Diesel Engine Opinions

I was a dealership diesel engine tech before i started playing with cranes so i know a little about em. .

The Cummins is a the best engine of the bunch. The same engine you find in pickups is used in some pretty good sized medium duty applications. Very few problems with the Cummins mostly only a EPS sensor or a oil pressure sensor. They updated both sensors and harmesses so that problem should be fixed. They routinely go over 500k mi in medium duty apps with proper maint.

Between the duramax and the powerstroke the powerstroke is the better engine in the better truck. The duramax is a pain in the ass to work on. Maint costs after the warranty is up will eat u alive.

If you trade every cpl yrs and long term durability isnt a concern then it doesnt matter. Go with which truck u like better. Either engine will offer over a 100k of trouble free service. I am not sure whos winning the HP wars now i havent kept up on the brand new models. I do know in the last comparison i read Ford won every catergory and Chevy finished last in almost all of them.

BIGGER THAN YOU is offline Established Member
      Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 225
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

dodge has got the diesel engines hands down!!!!!! chevy or ford dont compete period

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

^^

Thank's for that info. I've always heard the same thing about the cummins engine. I've just never really liked the looks of the dodge truck themselves. I might look around a bit more for the dodges because you two are not the first ones that have said that about the cummins engines.

Any difference in the cummins diesel engines from year to year as far as reliability and maintinence.?

Disclaimer: Any information that TestRip7 shares is strictly for entertainment and role playing purposes only. TestRip7 is a fictional character and in no way condones the use of any illegal substances or activities otherwise.

AlmostThere
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Not really Cummins has been using the engine u find in dodge pickups for yrs in heavy duty apps. Everything from UPS trucks to generators. I dont care for the dodge pickup either but its engine is top of the heap.

The Ford is a the better truck. My service truck is a super duty with a powerstroke. Its around 10,000 lbs with a crane compressor welder etc and i routinely haul a trailer with parts on it behind. It has 350k on it and has never been touched other then routine maint.

Look for an issue of Diesel Power I believe its called its a magazine that is only about trucks like you are looking for complete with long term tests. Alot of good info on mods in there too.

jipped genes is offline VET
      Overall activity: 49.0%
      Achievements:
      First 1000 Experience PointsGot three Friends
      is El Burro!

I am:
      ----

Level

cummins rules for sure but we have half the fleet new dodges for the public works guys in my city and complain about transmission and suspension reliability

we have old fords and while not as nice and pretty, noisier and far less fuel efficient they are more reliable

GM diesels are made by isuzu and appear to be doing well, my boss has one and loves it although he has has some minor electiral and fit and finish issues

my old 95 ford diesel had 240k miles and only replaced the battery once and alternator

different motor than now but i am a ford truck guy forever

i will mention some issues with the 04-05 6.0 liter ford diesels but you cant go wrond with any other

ford v8 diesel is legendary as a work truck. everything is good. the dodge has the best motor and is the most effecient. the GM is quietest for sure and has an allison transmission option which is awesome but it is not as time tested and GMs reliability rating is not as high as ford or dodge

before we argue about this i know you can find stats that slant towards any manufacturer
      "SHIAT BIOTCH, thats a big ass!"

A clear concience is a sign of a bad memory.

husband of the year

moose riding maple syrup drinking flanel wearing canuck wannabe

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Quote Originally Posted by AlmostThere View Post
      Not really Cummins has been using the engine u find in dodge pickups for yrs in heavy duty apps. Everything from UPS trucks to generators. I dont care for the dodge pickup either but its engine is top of the heap.

The Ford is a the better truck. My service truck is a super duty with a powerstroke. Its around 10,000 lbs with a crane compressor welder etc and i routinely haul a trailer with parts on it behind. It has 350k on it and has never been touched other then routine maint.

Look for an issue of Diesel Power I believe its called its a magazine that is only about trucks like you are looking for complete with long term tests. Alot of good info on mods in there too.

350K That's impressive.

I'm still leaning towards the F-250 just based on looks and engine. I wont be getting rid of it in 2 years. I've been looking at the 04's mostly.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Quote Originally Posted by jipped genes View Post
      cummins rules for sure but we have half the fleet new dodges for the public works guys in my city and complain about transmission and suspension reliability

we have old fords and while not as nice and pretty, noisier and far less fuel efficient they are more reliable

GM diesels are made by isuzu and appear to be doing well, my boss has one and loves it although he has has some minor electiral and fit and finish issues

my old 95 ford diesel had 240k miles and only replaced the battery once and alternator

different motor than now but i am a ford truck guy forever

i will mention some issues with the 04-05 6.0 liter ford diesels but you cant go wrond with any other

ford v8 diesel is legendary as a work truck. everything is good. the dodge has the best motor and is the most effecient. the GM is quietest for sure and has an allison transmission option which is awesome but it is not as time tested and GMs reliability rating is not as high as ford or dodge

before we argue about this i know you can find stats that slant towards any manufacturer

Jipped,
      What issues with the 04's- and 05's are you talking about. Something major or minor???

Thanks fella's

AlmostThere
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Chevy has the best trans Dodge has the best engine and Ford has the best truck....
      U handy with a torch and welder?

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Chevy has the best trans Dodge has the best engine and Ford has the best truck....
      LOL, Not that handy. I'd love a hybrid with the best of both worlds though.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Went to the bookstore and got that magizine. Bunch of good tech specs and other cool stuff.

jamescb77 is offline Elite FG Resident
      Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 1,098
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

guys im going to have to disagree with you on the cummins issue. The cummins was a great motor and still is good but it's tech is old and it's being passed up by the power and reliability of the ford or the chevy they really are about the same just choose the one you want

crombie09
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

I just started out in the oil field and Im thinking of getting a diesel too. This is funny b/c my friend made the exact same statement that you did above 2 days ago.

My boy has an F250 powerstroke with a bully dog system on it. That is one fast fast truck.

daved150 is offline Platinum
      Overall activity: 4.0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

sorry i missed this bro...the duramax w/ the allison trans is by far the way to go on those years. if you could find a 2000-2003 ford powerstroke (7.3 ltr) i would take that over anything on the road. it's not until 06 and up that i would go with the ford (bet y'all didnt see this one comming!! lol)
      HE WHO MAKES A BEAST OF HIMSELF, GET'S RID OF THE PAIN OF BEING A MAN!!

https://www.infinitymuscle.com/forum.php

"Actually for once your actually starting sound quite logical!"-djdiggler 07/10/2007

I LOVE BOOBOOKITTY...

daved150 is offline Platinum
      Overall activity: 4.0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!
      • Diesel Engine Opinions
      • Diesel Engine Opinions

• Diesel Engine Opinions
      • Diesel Engine Opinions
      • Diesel Engine Opinions
      • Diesel Engine Opinions
      • Diesel Engine Opinions
      • Diesel Engine Opinions
      Quote Originally Posted by Biggerthenyou View Post
      dodge has got the diesel engines hands down!!!!!! chevy or ford dont compete period
      the cummings is a very excellent motor, no doubt. unfortunetly, you need a trans to move. they are way too unreliable, imho.
      HE WHO MAKES A BEAST OF HIMSELF, GET'S RID OF THE PAIN OF BEING A MAN!!

https://www.infinitymuscle.com/forum.php

"Actually for once your actually starting sound quite logical!"-djdiggler 07/10/2007

I LOVE BOOBOOKITTY...