• Join Us!
  • Rob Luyando interview
  • Rob Luyando interview
  • Rob Luyando interview
  • Rob Luyando interview
  • Rob Luyando interview
  • Rob Luyando interview
  • Join Us!
  • You have 1 new Private Message Attention Guest, if you are not a member of Fitness Geared - Body Building & Fitness Community, you have 1 new private message waiting, to view it you must fill out this form.
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Thanks Thanks:  0
    Likes Likes:  0
    Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Rob Luyando interview

kite is offline Elite Senior Resident
      Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
      Overall activity: 0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Default Rob Luyando interview

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!
      • Rob Luyando interview
      • Rob Luyando interview

• Rob Luyando interview
      • Rob Luyando interview
      • Rob Luyando interview
      • Rob Luyando interview
      • Rob Luyando interview
      • Rob Luyando interview
      Rob Luyando interview by Barry Williams

Barry Williams: Rob, first before you answer anything, how do you pronounce your last name. (It'll get butchered otherwise).

Rob Luyando: Just like it looks L uuuuyyan doe (Not sure how that sounds. LOL!)

1. BW: Congrats on setting the new world record at 220 with a ****in' huge 832lb. bench. That **** would have been unthinkable a few years ago. What do you want to hit at the Arnold?

RL: First off thanks for taking the time to give me this opportunity. I like to take things one meet at a time. I will be doing the Michigan BB4$ this coming weekend then onto Mendy's meet, then the Arnold. My goal for Michigan...... well of course a PR so at least 837 at a light 242. Mendy's I will be heavier so another PR will be in order. Arnold most importantly to me is to defend my title and smash my WPO record. I would like to put the 242 record out of reach by the end of these three meets.

2. BW: You ever do any full power?

RL: Back in 2004 I did a full power meet in Las Vegas. International Police & Fire games. USPF rules. All single-ply gear. Now don't laugh at my numbers 606 squat, 622 bench, 523 Dead. I promise my next full meet will be a 2300 total.

3.BW: How does your training change as a meet draws closer?

RL: My training never changes. Balls to the wall year round. I don't take time off. To stay strong and consistent I have to feel the heavy weight every week - not to mention I am always training for a meet. I did 11 meets in 2006.

4.BW: You've done both 220 and 42's. How does your calorie intake change for the 220's?

RL: To be honest before dropping to 220 I ate anything you would put in front of me (good or bad). I have had a lot of help with dieting from Laura Phelps, Jeff McVicar, and MHP (my Sponsor). Now that I am going back to 242 I will continue to follow a strict diet but will be adding more quality carbs to it and of course an occasional box of Krispy Kremes.

5.BW: What shirt were you wearing for the 832 lift, and what do you train in?

RL: I only wear the best gear! Inzer is my biggest sponsor and supporter. Currently I am training in a Rage X. I train in my meet shirts. You have to live in a shirt before you wear it in a meet.

6. BW: Jason Coker mentioned the other day how hitting a big # raw means more to him than with gear on. How important are your raw lifts?

RL: Well I compete in gear so the most important thing is to know your gear inside and out. Raw work is a must but not till after your shirt work is done. My raw work consists of 4 & 5 board on lock out day and 1 or 2 boards for reps to failure after shirt work is done. As far as a raw max I couldn’t care less.

7. BW: What’s your day-to-day life consist of outside of lifting?

RL: Well I am Police Detective for a Sheriff's Department. I work straight days with weekends off mainly. I try to spend as much time with my son Hunter (2) as I can. He goes to the gym with me a couple times a week and tears the place apart while I get my work out in. My daughters are both teenagers so they don't have time for me. LOL! My wife is very, very supportive of me.

8.BW: Right now you've set yourself at a new level in the sport by hitting the #'s most 275ers and up would like to. Who do YOU go to for advice now?

RL: My coach/training partner/brother Bill Carpenter took me in when I was a consistent 535 lbs back yard meet lifter and turned me into the machine that I am today. So I go to Bill for lifting advice. He is the best in the business! I am always open to new ideas. Other people I turn to for lifting advice Rick Hussey (Squat & Deadlift), Jeff McVicar, Ryan Kennelly, Joe Mazza, Kara Bohigan, and John Inzer to name few.

9. BW: Ask 10 people what they think about the sport and you get 10 different views. Where do you see PL headed?

RL: I eat, sleep, and bleed this ****! If I'm not in the gym I'm watching lifting training videos or lifts to see what I can learn from them. The internet is a great tool for powerlifters. You can do so much research anytime day or night.

I would love to see our sport go main-stream but honestly I don't see it happening. With so many different Federations out there and all the cry baby bull **** that goes on the forums it’s only hurting our sport. When every one comes to an understanding that the APF/WPC/WPO is the real deal then we can move on.

10. BW: Have you ever met this guy "Anonymous" at your gym? He's on all the boards *****in’ and complainin' about everybody’s lifts. I've seen him condemn every lift that anybody’s made a video of, yet we never see one of his. He must be drug and gear free because most of his comments are about lifters that aren't. You may not know him personally, but give me
      your thoughts on him and his friends.

RL: I have always believed that if you don't have enough balls to use your name then you are a coward and your opinion is worthless. Bottom line is there is a lot jealousy in this sport. As far as the negative people go they are the ones that kiss your ass the most in person if you let them. I don't have time for that b/s!

Before we end this I have to thank John Inzer and everyone at IAD, MHP, The Carpenter family, my wife Shellie, and my team mates for the continued support!

BW: Rob thanks a million for taking time out for us to do this. You've never been one to hold your tongue or let people know how you feel. The sport needs more personality and life breathed into it. Even though you broke the record of one of our own (Chip Stewart), that's what the sport is all about. I hope you continue on your current hot streak and carry it to Columbus for the Arnold. I don't like to wish good luck because I don't think luck has **** to do with lifting. But I really don't see you needing any either.

Stay strong, Barry Williams

kite is offline Elite Senior Resident
      Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
      Overall activity: 0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Default Re: Rob Luyando interview

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!
      • Rob Luyando interview